Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2003 2:05:04 PM EDT
Well, I just got an a2 20" a couple of weeks ago and I love it.  I was going to purchase another .45 soon, but the AR is so much fun, I want another one.  I know that I want a 16" and I found a good deal on a shorty a3 with the front sight.  However, I was considering a V Match with milled front sight because I like the idea of flip up sights and maybe an Eotech or Aimpoint on the flat top.  I haven't read much here about the V Match and was just looking for some comments on it.  Is the free floated barrel that much more accurate?  Are there any reliability/technical issues with the free floated handguard?  Pros and cons to barrel fluting?  Also, if I decide to go with the deal on the shorty a3, how big a problem is it to cowitness the front sight with the eotech or aimpoint.   Thanks in advance for the replies.  The forum is great.  I LOVE this gun.  What a hoot.  I'm hooked.

oh, will the BMAS triple mount work with flip up front sight?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Free-floated is more accurate, but not a big deal if you're not using a bipod or sling that would put lots of pressure on the HGs and barrel.  The one thing to consider about the free-floated HG on the V-Match is that it gets hot in the sun, and doesn't let the barrel cool as fast as vented handguards.

Fluting will make the barrel lighter, w/o sacrificing too much stiffness.  But it's not as light as the lighter profiles (M4 or A2 govt).  IMHO don't bother, just get an M4 or superlight barrel, especially on a 16" gun.  Might be worth it on a longer varmint rig where you'd do a lot of shooting and need to maintain tight accuracy.

Aimpoints & EOTechs are designed to cowitness on a flattop so that won't be a problem.  Most people prefer to have a fixed front sight with them, rather than a flip-up.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel the V-Match is more accurate than a non.  I'm not most people.  [8D]

[img]http://members.aol.com/ramboskyvn/images/lets%20roll!.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, thanks for the info and the pic.  That is exactly what I had in mind.  What type of mount is that you have the flashlight on?  Does the eotech cowitness correctly with the flip up front sight?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The second question is yes.  I have both the rear and front flip up sights zeroed with the EOTech which is right on the money.

Those are some 1" Weaver scope rings that happens to fit my P9 Surefire light which is 1" in dia also.

If you have any other questions please ask and I'll answer you tomorrow.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top