Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2003 12:26:59 AM EDT
Still fairly new to AR's, I noticed that my stock has a little bit of play, it isn't 100% tight.  I tried tightening it up a bit... I'm just afraid that it will damage the aluminum threads.  I've damaged aluminum threads on pocket knives by tightening too much, so I'm paranoid about the aluminum on this receiver.  Still used to steel receivers.  How far does the buffer tube have to go in?  Mine is in far enough to hold the buffer detent in, but not all the way to the little post on the detent.  Should I try to tighten more?

Also, is there anything else an AR newbie should know?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Anybody know if the tiny bit of wiggle is normal?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#2]
A standard buffer tube?

I would think it should be at least as tight as needed to bottom the shoulder of the tube out on the receiver.

Actual torque specs for the tube is 35 foot lbs.

The buffer tube threads are pretty big, I can't imagine tightening so tight you'd damage the threads.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Download the -23&P [url]http://www.mcdl.org/Manuals/Manuals/Maintenance/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf[/url] to get the instructions on how to do it right.

I believe Princeton has the right spec - the buffer tube should be torqued to spec AFTER you have put on some moly disulfide grease on the threads (the kind with NO graphite in it).  Trust me do not install it w/o the grease.

If its not torqued to spec it can and will shoot loose - then you get some really interesting problems when the bolt carrier gets locked up by the buffer detent - as the tube has backed out a bit too far (I've seen this a couple of times on the range - once with my own rifle when I just 'winged it' rather than follow the spec.)
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  It came loose from the distributor, and I dont think there was any grease in it.  I don't have that funny looking wrench in the manual.  Where do I get the stuff I need to fix it?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top