Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2003 8:00:41 AM EDT
Bought new in early '89, attached to everything A2. It's a 20 inch heavy barrel, actually appears thicker under the handguards.

With the ejection port facing away from you, the barel is stamped in front(left) of the front sight post with SS then 5.56 underneath that, top and bottom rather than lengthwise. Under the handguards, at the base of the barrel is also stamped SS. Those are the only marking I find.

I can figure the "SS" is stainless steel. Who made it and how do I know the twist rate? Now for the dumb one - the barrel is black, I always thought SS was shiny?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You definately got an olympic arms barrel. If it has the 5.56 SS markings this means that it is a button-rifled, 1X9 twist barrel. It is 416 stainless finished with black oxide, so don't play with it, you can't touch it up with bluing for obvious reasons. It is probably a .223 chamber as apposed to 5.56, being made before the mid nineties, don't worry, I pump hundreds of mil. 5.56 through it all day long, it doesn't matter in the real world. How do I know you ask? My carbine has the same markings. The finnish looked normal to me, so at first I thought "SS" denoted the new (at the time) SS109 round (my barrel was made before '86) But turns out to my surprise it was stainless after all. I type in "Ar15 barrel marked 5.56ss" on my search engine and it put me in the Olympic arms bbl. marking I.D. site. I forget the address, but try typing that in. It's also match grade, as they say all their bbls. are. My 16" is very accurate, so I can attest to that. Anyhow, good luck. Over and out.

62 grains, the little things that mean so much! [X]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the great answer RABID. I took your search engine suggestion and ended up here:  http://www.olyarms.com/bblinfo.html and it just confirmed everything you had already told me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top