Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2002 4:08:07 PM EDT
Took my new XM15 E23 to the range yesterday to break in the heavy barrell.  Used Winchester USA 55 g. JHP.  First, the magazine wouldn't catch when inserted with the bolt closed. Second, about 1 in 4 times when I fired the rifle, it did not recycle. I had to pull charging handle back & release to load.  Read manual cover to cover. Did everything. Not new to rifles/shooting. Have fired the M 16 A2.  Gas rings staggered 120 degrees, etc. Friends said magazine bad. Called Tech. Support. Said might have gas leak.  Gun store won't re-open till 1/2/03 (holidays).  Any advice?
Wantin' to shoot in Ohio.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I say it's a bad mag.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a bad mag to me.

Is the bolt rotating freely in the bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I'm pretty sure that a gas leak wouldn't cause a magazine not to catch.  What type of magazines are you using?  If they're not USGI, toss them out and get some USGI.  That would be my first guess.  

Could you elaborate what happened after ejected the spent round that didn't eject on its own?  Did the rest of the magazine do the same thing, or did the rest of the magazine feed as designed?

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#4]
It does expel the spent cartridge. No hangups there. The bolt cover remains open. The bolt is closed. When I pull the charging handle to the rear, I can see that there are still roungs in the magazine--but they are just as they are when I put them in. And, I made sure they were pushed to the back, clean, not dented, etc. If I releasted the charging handle, it locked up fine. No need to push the assist. It would fire just fine--and eject.  But, it's like a single action--or bolt action. In other words, like, say, a Mauser or 1903, you pull the bolt (charging handle) back, a new round pops up on the follower. Releasing the charging handle sends the round home and locks. It's ready to fire. It just won't cycle automatically. It's sort of like a nonsemiautomatic rifle. And, it's like a Ruger Mark I versus the Mark III in that the bolt remains closed after the last round is expended.
The magazine is the one that came with the rifle. It's one of those you can't take apart. Since it's a brand new rifle, I feel Bushmaster should get it right. I would like to buy a GI magazine--any suggestions where to buy?  But, I still feel the rifle should work with the equipment I purchased. After all, it's a new rifle.  Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Glassware63,

Call Bushmaster in the morning. One of the things you paid for when you purchased that rifle from Bushy is GREAT customer service. I'm sure they'll have a few questions for you, so have the weapon there with you. They'll get it right.

Get some new USGI mags, that 10 rounder that came with it is decent but.......

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=24&t=99488] this [/url] is THE MAN for excellent service and brand new in wrapper genuine USGI mags.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 1:37:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Your mag wont catch if its got rounds in it and your bolt is closed. Your bolt needs to be locked back. Just like when you finish off a mag the bolt locks back. Same thing. As for the other, I dont know.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top