Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2002 6:56:15 PM EDT
I am ordering a new entry tactical upper from RRA, I have the choice to have the barrel chrome lined. I am looking for pros and cons. I have heard chrome will make it last longer and increase reliability in certain conditions, but will also not give superior accuracy. all opinions welcome.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#1]
"Go chrome or go home!" Chrome lining is margianlly, may I repeat, margianally less accurate than a non chrome lined barrel. Let me say that one more time, chrome lining is MARGINALLY less accurate. However, it will last FAR longer, make cleaning FAR easier, will be FAR more corrosion resistant, will offer FAR better potential reliability, and for a general purpose rifle, will come with the FAR more desirable 5.56 chamber.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#2]
For an entry tactical upper, you're not going to be trying to shoot quarter inch groups at 100 yards anyway.

The accuracy difference between chromed and not chromed isn't that much anyway.  My Bushmaster with a chromed bore still delivers half inch groups at 100 yards.

Get the chromed bore.  It makes cleaning a breeze, makes shell extraction easier (adding reliability in other words), and gives MUCH longer barrel and chamber life.

It's good enough for the military, it's good enough for you.

I wouldn't buy an AR barrel that wasn't chromed.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Ditto what new-arguy said. Only two reasons I can see to get a non-chrome lined barrel... 1) because it's cheaper, but the little extra cost for chrome is worth it IMHO for the reasons mentioned above... 2) if you want a high quality stainless steel match barrel for highpower competitions. Other than that, go chrome or go home! [:D]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#4]
CHROME
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#5]

It just doesn't really matter all that much unless you are in the field all the time and can't clean your weapon.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Go Chrome. Can't add anything someone else hasn't said.The only way I wouldn't have the chrome is in a Top Match Rifle.Trying to take 3/4 groups and turn them into 1/2 groups. WD
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#7]
i have heard the colt 14.5" M4 barrels have chrome bores but is the barrel itself chrome lined?
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:24:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Go chrome.

You will not notice any difference in accuracy with the M4/entry gun.

You will get a barrel that will last longer (.223 is hard on a barrel, high pressure and high velocity combined with tight twist) and much easier to clean.  A hard chromed barrel should last several thousand more rounds than a chrome-moly (unlined) barrel.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Go chrome, the few extra bucks you spend will pay off quickly.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Chrome
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quote:Bushmaster's Chrome Lined M16/AR15 Barrel Assemblies... are, without question, the finest AR15/M16 type barrels made - all our barrels are machined from Chrome-Moly Vanadium steel - hardened to Rockwell C26 to 33 - and are hard chrome lined to U. S. Gov't. Military Specification to offer complete corrosion resistance in the bore and chamber. Chrome is more than twice as hard as barrel steel and will effectively double your barrel life. The lubricity (slipperiness) of chrome reduces friction, increases velocity, aids in chambering and ejection, offers superior barrel life and makes the barrel easier to clean.
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top