Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2002 5:24:11 AM EDT
I've heard both sides. Do chrome lined chambers & bores degrade accuracy? I've also heard that done correctly, it should not. I understand that chrome lining is a difficult process & only a few do it right.

Thx,
HS
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:29:02 AM EDT
[#1]
HogS,
conventional wisdom states that chrome bores are not as accurate.  However, the Fulton FN Police Special (a bolt gun) with chrome recently outshot three $4000+ rifles.  The FN costs about $1000.  Soooo, I'm not so sure any more.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:43:15 AM EDT
[#2]
There are pros and cons to chrome lining. However, if you are willing to pay the extra money, chrome is the way to go. The decrease in accuracy is negligible.

To better the accuracy of any AR, put a good trigger in.

Also, make sure the chamber is 5.56 rather than .223.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There are pros and cons to chrome lining. However, if you are willing to pay the extra money, chrome is the way to go. The decrease in accuracy is negligible.

To better the accuracy of any AR, put a good trigger in.

Also, make sure the chamber is 5.56 rather than .223.
View Quote

I'm not interested in a flame war here but I believe the .223 chamber is likely to produce modestly better accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 7:26:26 AM EDT
[#4]
What exactly is the "Wylde" chambering? I noticed RRA listed this chambering along with others.

Thx,
HS
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 8:12:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What exactly is the "Wylde" chambering? I noticed RRA listed this chambering along with others.

Thx,
HS
View Quote

The 223 Wylde splits the difference between the 223 & 5.56 chamber dimensions.  The premise is that one can shoot 5.56 without any reliability issues and not lose as much of the accuracy that comes with a change to true 5.56.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not interested in a flame war here but I believe the .223 chamber is likely to produce modestly better accuracy.
View Quote

The .223 chamber is the more accurate of the two.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I have to tell you, I really think the difference is quite minnimal. 90% of shooters wont be able to squeeze the best potential accuracy out of either, so it wont make much of a difference at all. Period.

If you are going for a serious 1/4 or 1/3 moa bench gun, the tighter chamber and non-chrome lining will help you squeeze a little more accuracy.

Chrome lined chambers and bores do not degrade accuracy much, if at all. A good shooter with the right ammo can shoot a chrome lined 5.56 chamber gun to 2/3 or 3/4 moa. That is still pretty accurate to say the least. The truth is, most of us will never be able to shoot as well as our guns are capable of. And if this is the case, you wont be able to tell the difference in accuracy AT ALL!

In MOST cases, the overall advantages of longer barrel life, easier maintenence and [b]better reliability[b] chrome lining offers far outweigh the [b][i]slight[/b][/i] accuracy advantages you will get otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#8]
It is not that uncommon to get sub MOA accuracy from a chrome lined AR barrel (provided you use good ammo, trigger, optics, etc...)

Check out [url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=125896&w=searchPop]Victor's sub MOA SPR[/url]. It will give you a good idea of what type of accuracy is possible with a Mil Spec. barrel.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top