Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2002 4:41:16 AM EDT
I just added a "pre-ban" Colt 6721 AR15-A3 Tactical Carbine to my collection.  I thought I'd share a photo of the receiver.  It's in NIB condition, and the serial number is less than 20!  Every now and then I get lucky....

http://album.gunsnet.net/data/goodguy/96_p6081.jpg
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I've finally gotten around to taking more digital photographs of my new rifle.  In case anyone is interested...

Pre-Ban Colt AR15 A3 Tactical Carbine R6721
[img]http://album.gunsnet.net/data/goodguy/96_p6415.jpg[/img]

I haven't shot this rifle yet.  I'm guessing I'd better leave this one cherry....
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I got wood.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#4]
How does it shoot? I will bet sweet!!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice

[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
You lucky dog! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#7]
What do you all think...  Should I take it out and shoot it, or should I leave it unfired?  I guess what I'm really asking is how much will I devalue it if I fire a few rounds in it.

Any opinions?
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#8]
How much did you pay for it and where did you get it?
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Depends on how many rifles you have - that is def. a collector's piece, might want to leave it unfired.

Myself, I'd shoot it, but I also have shot my antique Winchesters. That's what they were made for...

Tony
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#10]
If it's really a 'first hundred' (two digit serial number) I'd pack it away.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#11]

that is a beatiful rifle

it does have a collectors value i'm sure, but the real question is, what is its value to you?

do you have other AR similar to it to shoot?

if not i say go ahead and shoot it.

you only live once man, play with the toys you have.  

unless of course you are usung it to supplement your retirement fund in hopes that its value will skyrocket.  but come on, buy some wal mart stock if youll need the money.
guns are for shooting.

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 12/8/2002 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Appreciate the feedback.  I have a couple of other pre-ban Colt AR15s that I frequently take out shooting, so I'm not "AR15 impaired."  I should probably keep the tactical carbine in NIB condition.  At least that's the the common sense part of me is screaming.

On the other hand...  I have a good job and some retirement savings and no debt.  I also live on a farm in a very gun friendly community with lots of places for casual shooting enjoyment.  I'm also very good about cleaning my rifles and keeping them in first rate condition.  I don't think a few rounds down the pipe would hurt it all that much.  Besides... I'm a collector.  It took me a long time to find this rifle, and I don't plan on selling it in my lifetime.

Might as well heat it up!
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#13]
According to the old site...there is only 134 preban 6721s in existence.  Congratulations on a terrific find.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats on the acquisition. I plan to get one NIB myself...in 1 yr 9 mo. I figure it will set me back about $900-950. [:D]

Link Posted: 12/8/2002 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice.  Where did you find it?
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#16]
You've got others - keep it NIB.

Congrats!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 4:17:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah...  I think I'd better leave this one in NIB condition... at least for a while.  Thanks for all the replies and emails.

GoodGuy
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 5:28:59 AM EDT
[#18]
You suck![chainsaw]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just added a "pre-ban" Colt 6721 AR15-A3 Tactical Carbine to my collection.  I thought I'd share a photo of the receiver.  It's in NIB condition, and the serial number is less than 20!  Every now and then I get lucky....

[url]http://album.gunsnet.net/data/goodguy/96_p6081.jpg[/url]
View Quote

How about a cost???  Congrats on a great weapon but I am betting you paid a fee that few of us would be willing to spend and then actually shoot it!

I agree... keep it NIB!
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd rather keep the amount I paid for it private but, you're right, it was a hefty tariff.  I will tell you that I now have it insured for $6,000... that gives you a bit of an idea.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#21]
That's what I'm looking for!
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Well to be honest I am not surprised!  Some people will sit down and drink a $200-300 bottle of wine and if they can afford it... good for them!

If you can afford to buy a gun that is a true collectors piece and shoot with the resulting loss in value...  good for you!

Just the same, somethings are worth keeping prestine because of the rarity and their significance to the history.  I feel you have one of those units and I am quite happy for you!

QB
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#23]
My opinion is and always has been...that rifles are tools. Tools get used and maintained.
I don't own any tools that don't get used. It just isn't in my nature. Owning a rifle and not shooting it is like having a GF and not screwing her...BJ's and dry firing are fun up to a point but eventually I want to get down to buisness...
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My opinion is and always has been...that rifles are tools. Tools get used and maintained.
I don't own any tools that don't get used. It just isn't in my nature. Owning a rifle and not shooting it is like having a GF and not screwing her...BJ's and dry firing are fun up to a point but eventually I want to get down to buisness...
View Quote

LOL.  I hadn't thought of it quite like that.  I actually agree that guns are tools to be used and maintained but I would make an exception for this one.  This one is not currently a tool but more like a work of art.  Maintaining that status, sadly, means not firing it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Your call man. If I had a GF that pretty I'd have a hard time not pulling her trigger a few times...
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I like the analogy and, it's a valid one.  it's possible, however, to make love without screwing....  (How's that for reasoning!)  Actually... I'm both a shooter and a collector.  I have several relatively rare rifles that I've never shot.  This rifle is going to be one of those, I think.

I'll just have to shoot my "tool" rifles that much more.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#27]
GoodGuy,
I'm also in VA so if you're ever looking for someone to shoot with give me a holler. Merry X-mas!
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#28]
GoodGuy,
Congrats on your purchase.
For some reason I've always been intrigued by the 6721's and have daydreamed about being in a position to go after one of them.
The closest I've gotten to one is what I've got now: a blue label lower with a 6721dc conversion kit on top.

Shoot it or save it? I'd be inclined to shoot it because I know that once I had it I'd never sell it so it's collector value wouldn't be an issue. On the other hand I understand the other arguments as well....
Which ever way you go, good luck.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:14:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Again... I appreciate all the replies and emails I've received and the help you all have offered.  If I decide to shoot the rifle, I'll report back.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:31:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Congratulations on the good buy!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#31]
man, nice find. you have a rare collectors item.. why would you want to fire it? if you have fired 1 colt ar you have fired them all. heres what will happen..

1 you will pull the trigger and it will feel just like all the other colts

2. it will go bang, the brass will fly out leaving a mark on the brass deflector and the bullet will hit the target just like all other colts while your right ear receives the annoying buffer spring resonation related to all AR-15 variants

3. you will repeat steps 1 and 2 until out of ammo

4. you will go home and the thrill will soon wear off about halfway through cleaning it and you will realize that THE GUN NOW IS NOT A BEAUTIFUL NEW COLLECTORS ITEM BUT A USED RUN OF THE MILL FIREARM.

YOU MAKE THE CHOICE :)
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#32]
DON'T SHOOT IT!!
There is a certain amount of pleasure owning these as NIB. You can always shoot one... you can't un-shoot it once you have pulled the trigger. But, it's your baby so enjoy it anyway you like and congrats!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Well I'd just like to say how much courage you have to go out and spend 4-6k on this rifle considering that in less then 2 years it may be an easily available model considering the 6721 is still in production to law enforcement. And it will be a less desireable colt model as well, taking into account all the m4gery hype and the colt 6920 being an exact copy of the m4 minus burst. On the same hand if the aw ban doesn't sunset, the value of your rifle may skyrocket. I guess I'm saying, if it were me, I wouldn't shoot it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top