Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2002 1:39:25 PM EDT
I just bought M4 handguards & fixed tele-style stock for my Bushy. Is there a trick to removing the handguards? They seem tough to take off. What about the buttstock, any hints on taking it off and putting on the tele-stock?
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The handguards will be a two person job for the first few times.  They are on tight.  I've sucessfully removed them by myself, but always had to call my brother to help me get them back on.  There was a tool around (I think Brownells carries it) that makes the procedure easier.

The only problem you will run into with the buttstock are the pin/detent springs for the rear push pin and the buffer detent.  I'd get a manual and/or someone that has done this before to help you/walk you through it.  I also recomend using a LARGE white bed sheet, just incase you do pop the spring(s) across the room (been there, done that)  The Buffer Tube detent spring is an easy replacement, you can use the spring from a "clicky pen."  the rear takedown detent srping is a bit smaller, more like the size of a zippo lighter flint spring.

Also you'll need the telestock wrench OR a strap wrench to put on the telestyled stock.  It's not hard, but it can be frustrating if you're not careful.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Vinnie,
       Thanks for the info. The buttstock was easy to get off. Didn't lose the springs & I had the tele-stock wrench. I FINALLY got the handguards off! I got the bottom one off first, then the top one.....tricky to say the least! Will have to checkout Brownells, Leatherman helped this time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 2:19:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Anaconda:

Try this place www.deltawrench.com. A very nice tool and less expensive that Brownells.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#4]
The Brownell's tool was designed by a member of this board, and was offered at a discount to ar15.com members at one time. I have no idea of the current status of that offer.

I've not seen the Delta Wrench before, but it seems to be a copy of Darrel's tool. I thought he patented that design but maybe not.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top