AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2002 6:27:21 PM EDT
Does it hurt to dry fire an AR?

RRA with 2 stage triger.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert, but the USMC dry fires all their M-16's extensively and neither the USMC armorers or the manufacturer (Colt) have found it to be detrimental in any way.

If you're still concerned go out and get a dry firing device. i use the following one and I love it

www.fulton-armory.com/DryFireDevice.htm
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Since I was a kid I have been told not to dry fire pistols.

I just picked up my new RRA today and wanted to play with it, in the house .

So I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#3]
dry fire all you want. wont hurt a thing. just triple check your chamber first. be safe.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Redray!

Took the upper apart and cleaned it.

Lower has never seen a mag, since it's been with me.

Thanks for the replies.

Link Posted: 11/7/2002 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I was also thinking the same thing, because I was wondering if when I get my first AR, if I should do a functions check like the military does. I know they dry fire their weapons ALL the time. EVERY time they take them apart they dry fire them like 6 times doing the functions check. I think i'll just dry fire mine, doesn't seem like it hurts them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
It WILL hurt if you dry fire your AR
.With your finger between the bolt catch and hammer. OOOOuuuch that hurts. here
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It WILL hurt if you dry fire your AR
.With your finger between the bolt catch and hammer. OOOOuuuch that hurts.

There always has to be a smart a$$ in the bunch.

Link Posted: 11/8/2002 5:56:07 AM EDT
[#8]
as long as you don't dry fire w/ the upper reciever removed. This can damage the reciever wall or the hammer. with the upper on go ahead it wont hurt a thing. It can also help the quality of the trigger pull. Pulling the trigger lots smoothes any rough trigger pull!

Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:04:35 AM EDT
[#9]
The only firearm you should not dry fire is a rimfire. The firing pin will hit on the edge of the chamber. Eventually you will have enough dings on it that you won't be able to chamber a round.

And as always double check to see that the chamber is empty before pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#10]

The only firearm you should not dry fire is a rimfire. The firing pin will hit on the edge of the chamber.
Even some rimfires like the S&W revolvers or the 10/22 are OK to dry-fire too.  I've heard that some shotguns can be damaged by dry firing though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#11]

We dried fired our M16s in the army all the time. Didn't hurt them any. For that matter, we were always very hard on our weapons and they stood up well to all manner of abuse. The few weapons failures that I witnessed over the years were almost always attributed to operator
headspace.

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I just chamber a spent shell case and dry fire away.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Safe-T-Trainer dummy ammo
Dillon Precision

I have handfuls of these in .22, .45, .223.full size,cycles through the mags.
-I NEVER dry fire my Ruger 10/22's!
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 11:14:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't dry fire mine, but I sure do dry fire my issued rifle.

Max
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top