Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2002 8:47:26 PM EDT
Hey guys.  My boss has a AR-15 that he offered to sell me and I think it's a good deal but I'm new to this kind of weapon so I need some advice.  He's got a pre-ban Colt Sporter with 16" barrel, collapsible stock, flash hider, bayonet lug (with bayonet), three 30 rd mags, two 20 rd mags, and approx 1500 rds ammo.  All this for $1500.  So what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a relative newbie too, but if it were me, I would snatch it up QUICK... seems like a good deal (especially with the mags and ammo included too), assuming the rifle is in good condition.

--Mike
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a pretty  good deal - better if there is also the original box which should have a Green Label.  I'm assuming the rifle is 95% + ???
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty good deal, especially for a Colt.

Link Posted: 10/26/2002 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds decent, if you have the money grab it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#5]
And if you don't have the money, send me his name and address.  LOL

Link Posted: 10/27/2002 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys.  The condition is at least 95%.  He don't have the original box that it was in.  It originally had a standard stock, 20" barrel and no bayonet lug.  He said he put all that on there about seven or eight years ago.  He mentioned selling it a few months ago, then he asked me again last week about it.  If you guys think I should jump on it then I can give him $1200 now and give him the other $300 next month.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Get it, McUZI!
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I hasten to point out, a 100% original Colt CAR-15 and one in similar configuration assembled on a Colt receiver are not the same gun.  It's not a bad price for the gun, but it won't have the value of one that came from the factory in that configuration.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I understand that it isn't valued as much as a CAR from Colt.  In this situation with all the accessories what would you guys pay for it.  Is it worth the $1500??  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#10]
You're probably getting $350 worth of mags and ammo.  Even if it's just a Colt lower, it's a pretty good deal.

One thing.  I'm a little confused about the "just put the bayo lug on last week" thing.  You don't just slap a bayo lug on.  It's part of the front site post.  Make sure you've got a pre-ban receiver there.  Check the serial # on some website (sorry, don't know a link off-hand, but try www.biggerhammer.net.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You don't just slap a bayo lug on.

You do, if you have a preban w/o bayo lug, or a postban w/o bayo lug and are a LEO or gov't.
There is a clamp on lug you can buy.
I have seen it both in "The Gun List" and on ebay from a link posted somewhere on ar15.com
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You're probably getting $350 worth of mags and ammo.  Even if it's just a Colt lower, it's a pretty good deal.

One thing.  I'm a little confused about the "just put the bayo lug on last week" thing.  You don't just slap a bayo lug on.  It's part of the front site post.  Make sure you've got a pre-ban receiver there.  Check the serial # on some website (sorry, don't know a link off-hand, but try www.biggerhammer.net.

He done the converstion about 7 or 8 years ago.  It's all Colt parts that he used. He said that It was a pre-ban Colt.  He's a honest guy and I trust him on that.  Though I haven't checked it by serial number.  He's had the rifle for 10 years now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 2:54:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Shawn:

Do yourself a big favor.  Take 5 minutes and check the serial no as Eswanson suggest.  Your boss may be a nice, honest person, yet know nothing about the laws regarding pre-bans.

When you say the "conversion was done 7-8 years ago" that concerns me.  What do you mean by this statement?  If I'm not mistaken in order to be a legal pre-ban it must have been built as a complete pre-ban rifle (upper and lower) prior to Sept 94. 7-8 years ago would put it in the mid-90's so you're probably ok.  However, since the price is about average for one of these I would check it out first.  There are others out there in the same price range that can be verified as a pre-ban.

Read Tony's reply to the Price For A Pre Ban Ar 15 thread currently on this same page and you will see why you should have some concern
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Something just sounds very wrong with everything on this deal.  There is no reason why a guy would modify the weapon to remove features, when it is just as cheap or cheaper to buy preban parts kits.

Shawn- You seriously need to verify the serial number, forget this garbage that you know the guy.  He may not know things that could get you arrested later on.  Go look at it again and get the first few numbers off the serial then check it out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok guys.  Thanks for all the advice.  I know that he wouldn't knowingly mislead me on this.  But like you said, he may not acually know the details on the law.  So I'll check out the serial number.  It may be a week or so that I can do this, but I want to make sure.  I'm really don't know the fine details on all this stuff.  So thanks for all the info.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top