Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2002 2:56:23 PM EDT
Ok, another question.  I am looking at the RRA rifles.  They offer chrome lined barrels as an extra.  What are your opinions on chrome as opposed to chromemoly?  I read where the chrome lined takes away accuracy.  Do I really need a chrome lined barrel or should I stick with the chromemoly?

Thanks again,

Lloyd

Link Posted: 10/19/2002 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Chrome-molly if you want to hit targets at 6,000
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
6,000 what?  You mean feet?  Do you mean 600 yards?  600 meters?  

It depends on how much you shoot and how well you clean.  The chrome/moly barrels will take more time and care cleaning.  If you shoot a lot, the chrome lining may make things easier for you to clean.  

As far as accuracy and distance, are you going to shoot 600 yards?  At 300 yards or less, are you going to notice?
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The standard Rock River barrels are not match barrels to begin with. The difference in accuracy will be entirely minimal. However, the chrome lining will assist in reliability, generally more than double the life of your barrel, resist corrossion etc. Go chrome or go home.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 1:15:11 AM EDT
[#4]
If your goal is accuracy stay far away from chrome. If you want a good duty carbine chrome is a good thing.
PAT
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 2:50:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Go Chrome lined OF COURSE, i don't know what everyone who claim chrome lined barrels are less accurate then non-chrome lined barrels, understand for accuracy but my COLT HBAR is chrome lined and it WILL shoot 2 (sometimes 1 1/2) inchs groups at 150 meters using IRON SIGHTS, IMO that's pretty accurate for an AW. chrome lined barrels are:
*easier to clean
*ok to shoot tracers with (tracers will leave  salt deposits (from the barium) that MIGHT hurt a non-chrome lined if isn't cleaned like right after shooting them)
*better when it comes to reliability issues
*will outlast any non-chrome lined barrel

i don't know about you, but all of the previous is very important to me, so i wouldn't hesitate beetwen a chrome lined barrel and one that isn't.  
i hope that helped.
have fun
HUNTER.

CHECK THE HANDGUNS FORUMS

PS. Don't let my pitifull attempts to type english bother you.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 3:28:09 AM EDT
[#6]
My more accurate AR's all have 416F Stainless barrels.  (edited for spelling, duh.)
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 5:50:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Non chromed lined Match barrels are in general a bit more accurate than a chromed one. What your gaining is a slightly tighter group. But you give up alot more without the chrome.Like what the above post stated. From what Ive been told by very good gunsmith is the crome is a few thousandths thick. But in mating the chrome in the barrel it doesn't always go on perfect as in the thickness could vary down the barrel. Now thats what Ive been told.Im sure he simplified his explanation to me.If I was shooting highpower with it for scores go with a Stainless or Chrome Moly barrel. For good ole range shooting and plinking but still being justfiable accurate and longer service life get the chromed lined barrel.War Dawg
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Go for the chrome. It doesn't cost that much more, and your rifle will be more reliable.

As stated before, the chrome moly RRA barrels aren't match barrels anyway. I honestly don't think that you wouldn't notice the difference in accuracy between the two.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the help!  I really appreciate it.  I was planning on getting the barrel chromed, just wanted to check and make sure.  I had read where the accuracy was effected and it made me wonder if I should or not.  So, thanks and I will go with the chrome.

Thanks again,

-Lloyd

Link Posted: 10/20/2002 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Unless you like to spend more time cleaning your guns than shooting, Chromed is the way to go!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top