Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2002 6:41:45 AM EDT
Anybody else have a problem focussing on the front sight on a CAR?

Seems that my pistol sights are still sharp and a full sized AR is not a problem, but I am having a bit of trouble with focus on the front sight on the shorties.  Seems to be age related as I did not have this problem in the past.

Would a red-dot sight such as the Reflex II help solve this issue by putting the dot and the target on the same visual plane?
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#1]
A dot sight will work wonders for you. No allignment of the front/rear/target. Just shoulder the weapon, keep both eyes open, focus on your target, and the reticle will appear in your field of view.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 7:45:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey, Texas,

Front sight on a Car?  Shoot.  I can't see the front sight on an M14

Trust me - it only gets worse.

What newarguy said is spot on.  A good red dot is great.  Or an ACOG.  I got an ACOG on a carbine that lets me shoot to MOA (almost) with these old eyes and match ammo.  (It is a Wilson match barrel too).  

The real key is how you mount it.  The best way is a flattop upper to put the sight on the right plane with the barrel and cheekweld.  Candidly, I think this is critical.   Here is one I like a lot:

Or any reddot.

In truth, you get what you pay for.  With red dots, the differences are:

Reliability.  Cheap ones break sooner and don't take any shocks (drop your rifle?).  

Stay sighted in.   Good ones DO.  And they are easy to sight in.  

But even cheap ones can make it fun to shoot aghain as out eyes wear out.

Link Posted: 9/18/2002 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Anybody else have a problem focussing on the front sight on a CAR?

Seems that my pistol sights are still sharp and a full sized AR is not a problem, but I am having a bit of trouble with focus on the front sight on the shorties.  Seems to be age related as I did not have this problem in the past.

Would a red-dot sight such as the Reflex II help solve this issue by putting the dot and
the target on the same visual plane?

Texas-AR-Fan,

Don't feel too bad. We all get it someday. The medical term is "presbyopia", also known as "I don't need glasses. I just need longer arms." On this site, it's "I don't need a scope. I just need a longer site radius." Unfortunately, kind of hard to achieve on an AR carbine. My optometrist has told me the only cure is a rifle scope. In another few years, I'll be wishing I had purchased the Colt flat top instead of the Colt fixed handle. Right now, the front site on the MT6530 is extremely blurry with the large aperture, less so with the small aperture. I believe the small aperture forces your eyes to focus better, whether they want to or not. But eventually, I'm sure both sight pictures will be so bad that I'll have to go to the scope. Most likely will choose the red dot.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually, I left out one other choice.  Go here.

www.bjonessights.com/AR15.html

Will  make the front post sharp again.

Link Posted: 9/21/2002 6:09:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Have the same problem and came up with what I thought was a unique fix and found out it isn't.  My eyesite is OK to drive even read but shooting has been getting a little tough so I went to the eye doc and after he said you're OK. I told him I shoot and I'm not OK.  He specified me some specs just for shooting.  Makes me feel like a kid again.    
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 2:33:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm having the same problems with sights of all kinds.  

I bought some of those Varilux lenses.  They're derned expensive, but they work.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top