Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/12/2018 4:22:34 PM EDT
I just picked this new Colt AR up at noon today, and within an hour I did this.    My typical screw up, trying to clean up another part of the rifle and scratched up the barrel.

I have read online about the Birchwood Casey blue pens but those seem to be discontinued.  Anyone know a good way to just touch these up so I can go put some honest shooting scratches in it instead?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#1]
oil it, shoot it.

Or, throw it down the driveway and forget about those particular marks.

It'll be fine.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
[Insert picture of rustoleom here]
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
oil it, shoot it.

It'll be fine.
View Quote
This. But if your still butt hurt a couple coats with black sharpie and a little wipe down may  cheer you up.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Rub some oil on it and the scratches will probably barely be visible.

If it was mine I’d just spray paint it tan.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
oil it, shoot it.

It'll be fine.
View Quote
Evan a month from now I'd agree with you, but doing it the first afternoon while cleaning
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This. But if your still butt hurt a couple coats with black sharpie and a little wipe down may  cheer you up.
View Quote
go away
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Evan a month from now I'd agree with you, but doing it the first afternoon while cleaning
View Quote
Been there, done that and not on an AR either, it was an older Colt revolver. Landed on concrete.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
0000 steel wool and CLP.
View Quote
I have already put the CLP on it.  If I find a way to touch up parkerized barrels I'll come share it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#11]
you got a serious case of OCD or something.

can you imaging what the inside of the upper receiver is going to look like after you shoot it?

just shoot and don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

can you imaging what the inside of the upper receiver is going to look like after you shoot it?
View Quote
I knew better than to ask this in GD or something, but I thought AR15 forum wouldn't be chock full of assholes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't even care about that.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I knew better than to ask this in GD or something, but I thought AR15 forum wouldn't be chock full of assholes.
View Quote
Short of removing the barrel and sending it out to be re-anodized or coated with something else, there isn't much you can do. That is just the way it is. No one is really making fun of you and more then a few posters have likely done the same thing.

It sucks, you pull your hair out and then get on with life.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
You could try some Aluminum Black.  Granted your barrel isn't aluminum, but it still might oxidize slightly to make it less noticeable.  I use the aluminum black pretty often on the deflector and upper/lower receivers when they get dinged up.  Yeah yeah, it's a tool but I like mine to look good too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Sharpie marker
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, to y'all offering real suggestions I appreciate it.  I may let it go or pick up some cold blue touch up.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Wait

So you got a Colt that didn’t come new in box with factory scratches?

That’s rare
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Brownells Dicropan T4
View Quote
Thanks, was reading about the  Oxpho Blue too, since its the Colt grey instead of black.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wait

That’s rare
View Quote
Naw, 4 hours ago it was perfect til I got my hammy hands on it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wait

That’s rare
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Just use a Cold Blue. Try and pick one that says it is dark black. Lots of them (Birchwood Casey, for example) will just turn some steel light blue, which sucks.

This is the one I use and I love it. It turns it black almost instantly. Dark black. Sometimes it takes a few wipes with a cue-tip, but it always works on any type of steel, and it never takes more than a few seconds. It’s great stuff and worth the extra coin.

https://www.amazon.com/Kleen-Bore-Black-Magic-2OZ-60ML/dp/B0000C51WN
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wouldn't even care about that.
View Quote
I doubt I would even have noticed it

But as for the OP ... just take a black shit house pen to it and call it good
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

go away
View Quote
Ok but you should try.  It does help on new guns to hide it so it isnt an eye sore. Like anything it takes little practice to make it work.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
oil it, shoot it.

It'll be fine.
View Quote
FPNI
And give it a "Sandbox" Krylon camo job before the throw.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Assholes? We're just trying to help. It's not like you dinged the polished blue on an exhibition takedown Wentworth Safari rifle, or the paint on your Miata (ok, maybe a little asshole). It's just an AR. It's a tool or a 4 Wheeler, meant to be used and gotten dirty. I have expensive Snap On tools, some cost more that your Colt. I didn't get OCD when they showed signs of wear & tear. I just put them back in the box for the next time. Shoot the shit out of it. Shoot it until the oil is smoking off the barrel. Lighten up.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sharpie marker
View Quote
^
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to arfcom. Been here often? You're literally in a pit of opinionated shooters, how do you not expect to get opinions?
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Assholes? We're just trying to help. It's not like you dinged the polished blue on an exhibition takedown Wentworth Safari rifle, or the paint on your Miata (ok, maybe a little asshole). It's just an AR. It's a tool or a 4 Wheeler, meant to be used and gotten dirty. I have expensive Snap On tools, some cost more that your Colt. I didn't get OCD when they showed signs of wear & tear. I just put them back in the box for the next time. Shoot the shit out of it. Shoot it until the oil is smoking off the barrel. Lighten up.
View Quote
No, I stand by that.  There are many here with good suggestions and I thank them.  However, I've also been called Butthurt and suffering from bad OCD.  That shit is uncalled for and done by assholes.

To put it in context, yes it's an AR and it's gonna get scratched, but I gave a guy a thousand dollars for something and then within an hour I essentially took a blade to the finish of it.  Now that would piss anyone off and don't tell me different.  I came here honestly asking, how do I fix my little fuck up and many here offered honest solid advice.  The one's who just show up to bust my balls can GTFO.  Clear?
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Welcome to arfcom GD. Been here often? You're literally in a pit of opinionated shooters, how do you not expect to get opinions?
View Quote
This aint GD.  That's my point.  I'll dish it out there and take it too, but in the technical forums you usually just get folks who like to talk about the subject at hand, not throw shit on each other like in GD.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This aint GD.  That's my point.  I'll dish it out there and take it too, but in the technical forums you usually just get folks who like to talk about the subject at hand, not throw shit on each other like in GD.
View Quote
Hey man, same team. My whole point was that's his way of telling you not to worry about it because he wouldn't.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I just picked this new Colt AR up at noon today, and within an hour I did this.    My typical screw up, trying to clean up another part of the rifle and scratched up the barrel.

I have read online about the Birchwood Casey blue pens but those seem to be discontinued.  Anyone know a good way to just touch these up so I can go put some honest shooting scratches in it instead?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/168790/thumbnail2_jpg-702756.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/168790/thumbnail_jpg-702757.JPG
View Quote
Those pens are readily available. https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=Ix3BW7_xNpK7ggfI-5fAAQ&q=birchwood+casey+touch+up+pen&oq=birchwood+casey+to&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l3j0i22i30l7.3825.10096..12629...0.0..0.141.1667.14j4......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131.yAOnYpfi8Js

Your local walmart or gun store should have them too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#35]
It’s a warehorse not a show pony, you should see my Colt barrel.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Those pens are readily available. https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=Ix3BW7_xNpK7ggfI-5fAAQ&q=birchwood+casey+touch+up+pen&oq=birchwood+casey+to&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l3j0i22i30l7.3825.10096..12629...0.0..0.141.1667.14j4......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131.yAOnYpfi8Js

Your local walmart or gun store should have them too.
View Quote
For some reason the "blue" ones seem to be discontinued but the deep black ones are available.  Since this is Colt grey I'm hesitant to use the deep black.  If I do anything with it at this point it will probably be that Brownells stuff.  But thank you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#37]
the finish on those barrels is super thin, you can mark them up with your fingernails. just an observation.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
the finish on those barrels is super thin, you can mark them up with your fingernails. just an observation.
View Quote
Yep, found out quick the hard way.  I would have thought it would be tougher like cerakote but that was done by literally a sharp plastic edge.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just use a Cold Blue. Try and pick one that says it is dark black. Lots of them (Birchwood Casey, for example) will just turn some steel light blue, which sucks.

This is the one I use and I love it. It turns it black almost instantly. Dark black. Sometimes it takes a few wipes with a cue-tip, but it always works on any type of steel, and it never takes more than a few seconds. It’s great stuff and worth the extra coin.

https://www.amazon.com/Kleen-Bore-Black-Magic-2OZ-60ML/dp/B0000C51WN
View Quote
The darker color bluing is Formula 44/40.  Oxfo blue is not as dark.  Get it from Brownells.

kwg
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#40]
It looks awful gray, but I'm sure it's std. Colt black.
Those birchwood casey pens are just glorified Sharpies, paint in a pen, they do so so.
I'd clean it (degrease it) really well and try some of the cold blue products.
B/C makes a couple, and I'm sure others do too.
I'd do (or not do) whatever it took to make ME feel better about it, including disassembly, blasting and reparking, even buying another barrel, IF I wanted to.
And I wouldn't give one rat's ass what other people could live with, but that's not what you asked, is it?
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Tactical sharpie or Birchwood casey touch-up cold blue pen or liquid.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Sharpie, or the birchwood Casey touch up pen would be worth a try, but I think the attempts to cover it up will be at least as visible.  I understand that it is like the first scratch on a new car, but I would just leave it alone and add a few honest scuffs from practical rifle matches to go along with those.

I don't think it looks that bad, and I would just leave it alone.  But it isn't my rifle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File

This works for most OCD scratch issues.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It looks awful gray, but I'm sure it's std. Colt black.
Those birchwood casey pens are just glorified Sharpies, paint in a pen, they do so so.
I'd clean it (degrease it) really well and try some of the cold blue products.
B/C makes a couple, and I'm sure others do too.
I'd do (or not do) whatever it took to make ME feel better about it, including disassembly, blasting and reparking, even buying another barrel, IF I wanted to.
And I wouldn't give one rat's ass what other people could live with, but that's not what you asked, is it?
View Quote
Amen
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sharpie, or the birchwood Casey touch up pen would be worth a try, but I think the attempts to cover it up will be at least as visible.  I understand that it is like the first scratch on a new car, but I would just leave it alone and add a few honest scuffs from practical rifle matches to go along with those.

I don't think it looks that bad, and I would just leave it alone.  But it isn't my rifle.
View Quote
I need to give a couple days and see how I feel about it.  I was pretty pissed.  Now that I know how easily it scratches I know there's going to be many more.  I have a 25 year old Colt and that finish does not scratch like this new one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#46]
I need touch up ideas but for the forward assist pin. The finish on the top of the pin came off during installation.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is known by other forums as DU for gun owners so.....
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I need to give a couple days and see how I feel about it.  I was pretty pissed.  Now that I know how easily it scratches I know there's going to be many more.  I have a 25 year old Colt and that finish does not scratch like this new one.
View Quote
Take a few days?

Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Black Magic is what you seek. Then some gun oil.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Sharpie then CLP.
or just CLP because That isn't that bad.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top