Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/24/2005 1:58:38 AM EDT
As the Rifle and a Carbine correctly refers to:
AR - ARMALITE, ARMALITE RIFLE, ASSAULT RIFLE, AUTOMATIC RIFLE?
CAR - COLT A... R..., CARBINE A... R...?
Many thanks.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:12:31 AM EDT
[#1]
AR: I want to say that AR simply stands for Armalite.....Armalite also made small survival rifles, shotguns and a few other things and they were all labled "AR-XX"  So I am pretty sure it simply stands for Armalite.

CAR:  darn it...I forgot...and I lent my "Black Rifle" book out.....

someone who really knows will be around soon to explain it, stay tuned
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:26:04 AM EDT
[#2]
"Just" for the sake of a bump, maybe it stands for Carbine AR, but then again, does HBAR stand for Heavy Barrel AR or Heavy BARrel? I have also forgot.

Bill
Buy what you want and shoot what you have.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Thought C.A.R. stood for "Colt Automatic Rifle", or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Total Silence - CAR-15 History

Read the last paragraph....
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#5]
On my Colt 6724,  which has "CAR-A3" stamped on the receiver, I believe and according to Colts web site to term CAR stands for "Colt's Accurized Rifle"  which is the 6724 - Also, the term HBAR on the 6724 stands for "Heavy Barrel AR" - Which is confused more by the term CAR15 - Colts Automatic Rifle. I gather when you use the term "CAR" it would be easier to use the model number rather then CAR which would confuse one model for another.........Oh, well...........Nothing like a straight answer.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#6]
It means carbine.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It means carbine.

My 6724 CAR-A3 is not a carbine - It has 24 inches of barrel to prove it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
On my Colt 6724,  which has "CAR-A3" stamped on the receiver, I believe and according to Colts web site to term CAR stands for "Colt's Accurized Rifle"  which is the 6724 - Also, the term HBAR on the 6724 stands for "Heavy Barrel AR" - Which is confused more by the term CAR15 - Colts Automatic Rifle. I gather when you use the term "CAR" it would be easier to use the model number rather then CAR which would confuse one model for another.........Oh, well...........Nothing like a straight answer.

Colt's branding of the CAR-A3 is marketingspeak.  The "CAR" tag came before Colt used it.  Not knocking Colt here, just noting that marketing is deep in the brand name selection process.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Colt's branding of the CAR-A3 is marketingspeak.  The "CAR" tag came before Colt used it.  Not knocking Colt here, just noting that marketing is deep in the brand name selection process.

Like I said, nothing like a straight answer.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Dear Friends!
I write the book on a history of rifle AR-15/M16 in Russian - "The United States Rifle".
I have studied many materials in English and Russian. Anywhere there is no correct name AR and CAR!
I can not find the full name of three programs which materials are used at creation M16:
SALVO - creation of a bullet;
NIBLICK - grenade for a rifle;
ALCLAD - creation of an optimum individual defence for the infantryman.

Forgive my English. I well read, I translate h.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top