Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 10:32:55 AM EDT
I ordered a gov't profile barrel and assembly from Bushmaster and a RRA upper receiver elsewhere for my first AR. Neither of those parts have arrived yet, but in the mean time I'm trying to figure out what tools I will need to install the barrel to my upper. I know I need a vice, and I already have that. But other than that, what other tools do I need and where can I buy them at?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Moly Disulfide grease (no graphite).
Barrel wrench
Torque Wrench (if you haven't done this before)
Either a barrel or Receiver block (Personally I prefer the Receiver block).
Hammer & pin punch to install the roll pin for the gas tube (roll pin punch is the best).

A copy of the -23&P which is downloadable from this site (click on the information button above).
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Gas tube wrench will save a lot of cuss words and maybe even your gas tube.  Carbon builds up around them and they can be a real b***h to get out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Very informative link, thanks.

Although now I'm starting to think that maybe it would just have been easier if I ordered my upper receiver from Bushmaster along with my barrel so they could assembly it for me. I would have paid alot extra for my upper from Bushmaster, but I would have saved myself the hassle of assembling this myself. My barrel from Bushmaster didn't ship yet, and I probably could call them and see if I can add an upper to my order.......But then again, it'll be a good learning experience if I just go ahead and assemble this thing on my own.....
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
But then again, it'll be a good learning experience if I just go ahead and assemble this thing on my own.....

I bought the tools a few years ago and I'm glad I did.  It WAS a good learning experience.  

Plus,  I just like to play with stuff.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#6]
It's far cheaper for them to build your upper if you factor in the cost of tools.

Not worth it IMHO for a single rifle.  It IS worth it if you plan on building more, or if you plan on doing all your future enhancements.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Intile posted a link to all the info you should need. I highly recommend the DPMS "Claw" receiver block over the clam shell type because of it flexibility.

So you going to Rutgers? I grew up right off of their campus in Piscatway. Right on Hoes Lane by the Rutgers golf course. Good engineering school but I wouldn't think you would be very popular there if you like AR's!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I know where that golf course and Hoes Lane is, I had classes over there many times....

I'm not a student there anymore, I graduated 3 years ago now.... how time flies......
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#9]
...and yet the loans never shrink!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I know where that golf course and Hoes Lane is, I had classes over there many times....

I'm not a student there anymore, I graduated 3 years ago now.... how time flies......

Cool deal. Small world huh?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes it is.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top