Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2020 12:41:58 PM EDT
I have a scope that has a drop-compensating reticle calibrated for 7.62x51 M80 ball ammunition.  It is mounted on a precision 5.56mm rifle, which is dumb, but it is out of necessity.  The G1 ballistic coefficient of the 75 grain ammo that I use is similar to M80 ball, as is the muzzle velocity.  Can I expect the trajectory of 5.56 ammo to closely match that of the M80 ball?
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:58:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hollywood_Shooter] [#1]
download the free version of Strelok for your phone -- punch in variable for both cartridges and compare?
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hollywood_Shooter:
download the free version of Strelok for your phone -- punch in variable for both cartridges and compare?
View Quote

Correct Answer Above
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used Hornady's ballistic calculator to do what Hollywood_Shooter described, and the trajectories were identical.  The reason I asked is because I have recently become aware that the published values for ballistic coefficients are some sort of average value that is calculated by firing bullets over a relatively short distance (200 yards, I think), and that these coefficients change by differing amounts over the flights of the 2 different bullets.

This isn't something that I know much about.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out strelok for the scope library.

They have a library of scopes in it .choose yours and see where impacts would be on the reticle chart,
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I will check that out - thank you for the replies.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Your original notion is correct.

Now run through trajectories varying the BC and then the muzzle velocity.  Compare the predictions.

Pay particular attention to the differences at 300 and 400 yards.
View Quote

What is correct?  That their trajectories will be identical, but will differ from one another as their B.C.s or muzzle velocities change?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top