Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2018 1:11:36 PM EDT
Looking for a good picatinny scope base for a short action Weatherby Vanguard. Who are some of the good manufacturers?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 2:07:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sschefer] [#1]
First off, do not use the Remington 700 bases on your Vanguard. Some will insist they fit but they don't. The screw spacing is correct but the radius on the front mount is not. Warne and NightForce make the correct rails and Tally makes the correct two piece bases. Weatherby.com also sells custom engraved Vanguard one piece Talley's and the correct two piece bases that are designed for the standard Talley rings. If you're Vanguard is a Magnum then make sure you get the Magnum versions. I have Vanguards and Mark V's and I speak from experience.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#4]
EGW makes great rails for the money.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Murphy Precision has treated me well for my needs
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure what all is available for the Weatherby but Badger, Talley, EGW are all excellent brands to choose from.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VortexOptics:
We always recommend Evolution Gun Works (EGW) - fantastic products and equally fantastic people making/selling them
View Quote
I like EGW Products.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#8]
We always recommend Evolution Gun Works (EGW) - fantastic products and equally fantastic people making/selling them
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cmcque:
Looking for a good picatinny scope base for a short action Weatherby Vanguard. Who are some of the good manufacturers?
You might want to try this quick test using a Weatherby Vanguard (not a Howa 1500) Series 2. Place the bases or rail on the rifle and then tighten to spec. Place a level across the rear as if you were finding level for a reticle. Find level and then put the level on the front base/rail. If the base/rail is actually designed for a Remington 700 then you'll see where the problem is. The Remington 700 bases and rails fit the Howa 1500 and the Vanguard Series 1 and appear to fit the Series 2 until you do this little test. NightForce seems to have figured it out and sells a rail for the Vanguard that fits, perfectly. I have 7 Vortex scopes (just bought #7 yesterday) and I'm a big fan. I sent 2 Leupold VXi scopes back to be repaired and they came back saying they were both within spec. That's what prompted me to look at every aspect of the base mounting.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:20:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Outerimpact makes a nice one.  No grove down the center and meets STANAG specs.
Link is to 20 MOA.
https://outerimpact.com/shop/howa-1500-short-action-picatinny-rail-with-20-moa/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top