Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2022 12:28:59 PM EDT
Starting to get into the bolt gun arena. Are mount like Larue and ADM qd mounts to high for a bolt gun or do they make models that shit low enough on a base?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By cmartinez0316:
or do they make models that shit low enough on a base?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Don't get QD for a precision bolt gun. There is no need for it and it's better to properly mount the scope and leave it there. It won't be going on and off. Get a good set of rings or a one piece mount and torque it on.
View Quote

Been using QD mounts the LaRue ones listed above for years now.  Not everyone on this site can afford $1000+ optics on all their rifles or wants to only put a $300 optic on all their rifles.  But having a QD mount setup you can have 1 really nice scope for all your rifles.  Also if you travel you can remove your optics so they are not damaged by baggage packing crews or stolen.  So many reasons to go QD I just do not have all day to post it all.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

Been using QD mounts the LaRue ones listed above for years now.  Not everyone on this site can afford $1000+ optics on all their rifles or wants to only put a $300 optic on all their rifles.  But having a QD mount setup you can have 1 really nice scope for all your rifles.  Also if you travel you can remove your optics so they are not damaged by baggage packing crews or stolen.  So many reasons to go QD I just do not have all day to post it all.
View Quote
This was kinda my mindset, one nicer optic for all my guns that I can easily take off and on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Got nothing to do with the cost of the optics but the secure mounting. Take off a QD over and over and parts wear. If you need to move optics around it's very easy with a set of rings and torque wrench. I do it all the time. There is no good reason to go QD on a precision rifle for me. Go to matches or look at anyone using a precision rifle and you will find very, very few(if any) QD mounts. But your cash and time. Do as you like.

And if you're flying then proper packing will not allow damage. I have flown all over the country to matches with optics and never an issue. Got silver medallion one year with Delta and that was over 25,000 miles flown.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

Got nothing to do with the cost of the optics but the secure mounting. Take off a QD over and over and parts wear. If you need to move optics around it's very easy with a set of rings and torque wrench. I do it all the time. There is no good reason to go QD on a precision rifle for me. Go to matches or look at anyone using a precision rifle and you will find very, very few(if any) QD mounts. But your cash and time. Do as you like.

And if you're flying then proper packing will not allow damage. I have flown all over the country to matches with optics and never an issue. Got silver medallion one year with Delta and that was over 25,000 miles flown.

Genuinely curious here, if there's some reason why a set of rings wouldn't wear but a QD mount will?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cmartinez0316:
This was kinda my mindset, one nicer optic for all my guns that I can easily take off and on.
View Quote

I have been doing this for awhile I also sold off a lot of mid range optics and reduced my overall number of optics.  It also has the added benefit if you are going to go all MRAD or all MOA, one reticle to learn, and also the cost benefit.  I always wanted nice high end scopes for all my rifles but following a optic for each path that was just impossible as I cannot afford $1000+ optic for each rifle I own but I can afford a single $1000 plus optic and a high quality QD mount for the optics.

I have managed to reduce my optics to a prism 5x optic, a LPVO, a high power scope for flat top rifles(AR/SCAR), high power optic for bolt/traditional stock rifles, and a few red dots.  I am currently saving for a high end red dot like a Aimpoint T2 to replace my PRO.  After that I plan to save up to get a ACOG to replace my PA prism optic.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:48:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mi650] [#11]

It's not the rings themselves but the way they connect. Torquing down the bolt or torx on a ring or mount is going to be consistent over and over. The tightening handles on a QD will wear being opened and closed. Fine for an AR but not a precision rifle. But again, your money and choice. I would never put QD on a precision rifle especially one I will be moving the scope around.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mi650:

Genuinely curious here, if there's some reason why a set of rings wouldn't wear but a QD mount will?

It's not the rings themselves but the way they connect. Torquing down the bolt or torx on a ring or mount is going to be consistent over and over. The tightening handles on a QD will wear being opened and closed. Fine for an AR but not a precision rifle. But again, your money and choice. I would never put QD on a precision rifle especially one I will be moving the scope around.

I can see that happening, eventually.  I suspect it's going to take an awful lot of on/off.  I also suspect the same thing would happen with rings, given enough swapping around.

I can't speak to other manufacturers, buy if you wear out an LT mount, Mark LaRue will replace it.

And no, I don't use QD on any of my bolt guns.  I did have a set of LT rings on a hunting rifle, but they were VFZ.

ETA:  I don't swap optics around between rifles, either.  If I did, I'd want some kind of quality QD.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mi650:

I can see that happening, eventually.  I suspect it's going to take an awful lot of on/off.  I also suspect the same thing would happen with rings, given enough swapping around.

I can't speak to other manufacturers, buy if you wear out an LT mount, Mark LaRue will replace it.

And no, I don't use QD on any of my bolt guns.  I did have a set of LT rings on a hunting rifle, but they were VFZ.

ETA:  I don't swap optics around between rifles, either.  If I did, I'd want some kind of quality QD.
View Quote

I have two larue qd mounts, the one on my super duty seems to have a fraction of play that I can't get tight
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 6:19:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#14]
Just use quality rings with recoil lugs and a good torque driver... the mounting will be repeatable.

Another good option, albeit not particularly lightweight, are Talley and Warne QD rings. They’re quality, but vertically split sintered steel so not as light as something like some 7075AL rings.  Both get low and have QD levers. If you repeatably tighten the levers, POI will be repeatable as well.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#15]
While I do agree soilid mounts will retorque more accurately with the use of a torque wrench vs a QD mount. The cross bolt studs in rings do stretch over time and will shear off if it's over torqued.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#17]

And why you torque properly. If so then no issues. I have rings that are 15 years old and have been on and off rifles hundreds of time. No stretching or breaking.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MunnyShot:
While I do agree soilid mounts will retorque more accurately with the use of a torque wrench vs a QD mount. The cross bolt studs in rings do stretch over time and will shear off if it's over torqued.

And why you torque properly. If so then no issues. I have rings that are 15 years old and have been on and off rifles hundreds of time. No stretching or breaking.

This torque specs are specs for a reason steel has an elastic range where when release it will return to its original shape and when you push past that range into the plastic range then you get permanent deformation.  Think of head bolts on a car engine and why you do not reuse them part of the torqueing of these bolts is the stretch them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:05:42 AM EDT
[#19]
No comment on what's better or what works, my only comment....I would get tired as shit of having to re-sight in every rifle every damn time I wanted to shoot it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top