Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2018 10:43:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vespid_Wasp]
Looking for some advice on some gear.  Front bags, squeeze bags, etc.

If you are shooting Tac Light with 5.56 only I am curious about your rifle setup as well.

I have a LaRue 20" Stealth barrel on the way to go in my Mega Monolithic upper.  Not set on a muzzle brake yet.

Viper PST GenII 3-15x with EBR-2C reticle.  I wanted a Razor but I won't shoot enough matches to justify laying out that much scratch.

The 3-18 Razor in the classifieds for $1600 did sorely tempt me though.....
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:06:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brosome] [#1]
Didn't have a rifle together to shoot it (thanks Christensen Arms..) but I did RO a PRS gas match last summer at Peacemaker so I got to see all the setups roll through the couple of stages I was at. As far as bags, bi-pods and gear It was pretty much identical to a regular PRS match but I did like how the weibad mini range cube worked with the more traditional Triangle AR stocks so much so that I bought one for myself. It does a nice job working with the steep angle on a stock like a Magpul CTR.  Your scope choice should be more than fine, saw lots of x-15x or 16x scopes of all sorts and I don't think at the ranges of pretty much all the stages that was ever an issue for anyone.

With the 5.56 guns in taclite 20" definitely seemed like the way to go just to squeeze out every bit of velocity you can get. Though regardless of barrel length impacts and misses could be very hard to spot both for the spotters and the shooter, especially so for the longer range stages. I think if I was really set on PRS gas matches I'd go for something 308/7.62 that would put me in Tac-Heavy. Seemed a lot easier to shoot and spot at those distances without having to compete with all the 6mm gassers in open.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Brosome:
Didn't have a rifle together to shoot it (thanks Christensen Arms..) but I did RO a PRS gas match last summer at Peacemaker so I got to see all the setups roll through the couple of stages I was at. As far as bags, bi-pods and gear It was pretty much identical to a regular PRS match but I did like how the weibad mini range cube worked with the more traditional Triangle AR stocks so much so that I bought one for myself. It does a nice job working with the steep angle on a stock like a Magpul CTR.  Your scope choice should be more than fine, saw lots of x-15x or 16x scopes of all sorts and I don't think at the ranges of pretty much all the stages that was ever an issue for anyone.

With the 5.56 guns in taclite 20" definitely seemed like the way to go just to squeeze out every bit of velocity you can get. Though regardless of barrel length impacts and misses could be very hard to spot both for the spotters and the shooter, especially so for the longer range stages. I think if I was really set on PRS gas matches I'd go for something 308/7.62 that would put me in Tac-Heavy. Seemed a lot easier to shoot and spot at those distances without having to compete with all the 6mm gassers in open.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.

I was actually looking at a 22 or 24 initially.  A guy on Enos Forum steered me towards a 20".  Which was kind of a relief honestly.

Even with the added difficulty of stretching out that far with a 223, I'm pretty much committed.  I could lay down the cash for a full-on open setup but I'm kind-of self limiting myself on budget just because I can justify spending that kind of scratch when I will probably still mostly shoot 3-gun and with small children, I can't travel to distant matches at this time.  That budget also nixed 308 because I am going to stay with a small frame gun to utilize an already built lower with a nice JP single stage.

I looked at the 224 V but since PRS Gas stops at 800 yards, it got me there a bit flatter and with less drift, but I have a mountain of pristine 223 brass and a good reloading setup to make my own match grade ammo.

I have run the gamut.  At first I was going to build a Grendel.  Then a 224 Valkyrie.  Then I looked at both the 6mm and the 22 Grendel.
Then back to 223 Wylde.  It is a wind handicap, but my ability to make wind calls is going to be a bigger source of error than the wind drift itself.

So I am content to compromise somewhat, I'm mainly just trying not to buy something that doesn't work at all.  So I really appreciated your insight on the weibad.  I had heard good things about those, nice to see it confirmed.

I'm looking forward to shooting this build.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:57:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vespid_Wasp] [#3]
How many guys were using two bags?

Front and rear?   Everyone freehanding the front bag or did some guys have them strapped to the rifle?

Percentage using bipods vs using front bags?

I grabbed a spare small NRA bag that was laying around and filled it with packing peanuts and airsoft bbs.  

It was better than any bipod I have ever used.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 12:29:31 AM EDT
[#4]
OP - I've shot my JP LRP 07 in several precision rifle matches (this was before PRS segregated them, which was only last season).  Anyhow, if you're going to run a 5.56, I'd go with the longest barrel you can find, 24" would be good.  That'll allow you to squeeze every FPS you can out of your loads.  I know that folks want to recommend shorter barrels because they are more maneuverable and such, but to be honest, I've shot many matches and have never shot a COF where I thought, "damn, I wish my barrel was shorter," and thus, one of my match rifles runs with a 28" pipe on it! HAHA!!

Anyhow, go on a place such as Short Action Precision or Triad Tactical and buy a couple of Weibad bags, pump pillows are great.  For a front bag, you'll definitely give me a hug for recommending this.

The Game Changer will aid in you a vast multitude of COF's.

Outside of that, I'd say find a load that will shoot the 69gr SMK's or 77gr SMK's accurately and go have fun.

You'll love it.  I have more fun shooting my gas gun over my bolt guns in matches.

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#5]
If a front bag was called for I'd say 99% of the time it was an Armageddon gear game changer and that 1% was a home brew game changer some made on their wife's sewing machine.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been using a wiebad pillow, a rear midway bag large and a bipod, plus make sure to get a damn good sling.  I have a gamechanger now so this will be my first year using one.

Go shoot have fun and soak in as much as you can, for practice get off your belly and shoot from fucked up positions and barricades also dont forget weakside.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 11:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Whenever you buy bags, make sure you practice with them.  I can't tell you how many times I've messed a stage up because I could not get my bag situated. A great example with the game changer is to put it on top of some sort of barricade, but when you do, make sure it is sitting on that barricade with as much surface area covered as possible.  I had one instance where the damn bag slid right off the barricade because I did not get it seated well enough on the barricade.

This is a good segue into proper position building, which needs to be it's own dedicated topic...
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By scatterbrains:
I have been using a wiebad pillow, a rear midway bag large and a bipod, plus make sure to get a damn good sling.  I have a gamechanger now so this will be my first year using one.

Go shoot have fun and soak in as much as you can, for practice get off your belly and shoot from fucked up positions and barricades also dont forget weakside.
View Quote
Do stage descriptions specify weakside?  That is a pet peeve of mine.  I am VERY strongly right eye dominant and trying to use my left eye in a scope is very difficult, even though I am 20/20.

Reminds me of an awesome 3-gunner I have shot with, who only has one eye.   I guess I should be glad of it, for it forces me to work on a weakness.  Seems silly at a precision match though.

I don't mind a match director forcing me to do it with target presentation.  But just writing 'weak side' in the stage description is lazy BS IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 4:09:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vespid_Wasp] [#11]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Yes they will specify weakside to get you out of your comfort zone. Nothing lazy about it. Just part of the stage.

And as mentioned practice with the bags. Just having them doesn't make them work. You might need to use them differently that someone else does or even how they are designed.
View Quote
I am fortunate to have some land where I can practice, and I generally cobble together barricades/props.

I have used logs, trees, wire spools, vehicles, etc.

I like to shoot so practice will be had while using the bags.  

Just curious because I know a guy who is a consistent top 5-10 finisher in 3 gun, who only has one eye.

What do they tell that guy if he shows up to shoot and the stage description mandates weak hand?  Same guy would not complain at all if the stage was setup and he had to contort himself into some weird position in order to be able to make a shot with his right eye.....

Oh well... one more thing to practice.  More shooting is more fun.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I finally got the rifle finished the way I wanted.  I have a game changer bag for certain scenarios but I also snagged a Harris bipod with 15 degrees of cam, as well as tilt with the pod-lock.

I have done some load development with the 73gr Hornady and it is showing real promise, and then I got sidetracked with the rest of the 3-gun season.

It shoots really well with the 73s, and Hornady 75s.  I tried some 69 Sierras and they grouped great but I have had a better hit rate with 73s when it is windy.

I am actually out of heavy bullets at the moment and need to order some more.  On the positive side it shoots 50s to the same point of impact close enough to pull coyote hunting duty this fall.  

I like it:

Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I know it isn't necessary but I snagged it for a great price and the monolithic upper just makes all seem right with the world.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top