Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2016 11:46:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RWM]
Looking at an AR10 build in the future and am gonna start gathering parts.
This will be a fun toy for long range plinking, have access to 1200 yd range.
I really want to do 284, but appears that needs to be saved for a bolt gun due to feeding issues, prefers a long action on bolt rifles.

I am willing to start reloading.

So 243 or 7mm-08 ?Decided on 6.5 Creedmoor, with some input from arfcom
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#1]
6.5 creed, factory ammo is good and there are a bunch of good barrels available.   I really like 243, but in an ar10 gas system I think the real slow powder and small bore could result in some tricky tuning.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I figured I would get a lot of Creedmoor recommendations.
Just wanted to do something different, and your tuning comments are spot on.

If I go 243, I was thinking 22'' or more with heavy contour bbl with 7.5 or 8 twist for longer bullets.
It will have a relatively short barrel life, but oh well, barrels are a wear item.

Benefit to 7mm-08 is higher bc bullets and a longer barrel life, along with a little better wind drift fighting capabilities.

Plugging the #'s in to calculator shows only 2.6'' difference betweet the two at 1000yds with 10mph 90 degree wind.
But tragectory is huge at 1000yds..84 inch drop difference, where the 243 beats it.
That is a 105gr vs 162gr.

I'll run some creedmoor #'s just to see what it does.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I had kicked around the idea of a 7mm-08 when I started my AR10 build. After some research I found that running the heavier 7mm projectiles cut into case capacity. That sealed the deal for me and I went 6.5 Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wile_coyote:
I had kicked around the idea of a 7mm-08 when I started my AR10 build. After some research I found that running the heavier 7mm projectiles cut into case capacity. That sealed the deal for me and I went 6.5 Creedmoor.
View Quote

Any reason that you couldn't run the 140 gr offerings in the 7mm-08, looks like you can get 2900-2950 fps in the 7mm-08 without issues ?
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 5:42:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wile_coyote] [#5]
Originally Posted By RWM:

Any reason that you couldn't run the 140 gr offerings in the 7mm-08, looks like you can get 2900-2950 fps in the 7mm-08 without issues ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No, no reason at all. Just by my research I could run a 140 6.5 that has a higher BC. That and since I have a 6.5 Grendel some components could be shared. The Grendel is my favorite rifle so that played into my decision.

I think the 7mm-08 is an awesome round and will probably end up wirth a bolt gun chambered in that at some point.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Kinda related:
On an AR upper, 15 or 10, is there a length to weight ratio one should stay under to avoid putting more stress on the front of the upper?
A bull barrel of 22-24 inch length could be in the 4.5 -5.5 lb range.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Not that I'm aware of. My Creedmoor has a 22" barrel going on it and I know there are some running pretty long barrels on their Grendels. One of My Grendels has a 20" and the other an 18". Hopefully LRRPF52 will pop up soon. He has really good info. I think his Grendel has a17.6" barrel and that he has taken it out to 1200, I know 1000 for sure. He had pics up recently.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 4 Grendels now (AR15), and a .260 Rem LR-260 done by GAP, my 2nd .260 Rem (1st was LR-260 DPMS).

I have taken my 16" Grendel out to 1200yds on a challenge, and it surprised everyone in attendance, myself included.  I was the only one making hits for starters, but that had more to do with shooter experience and the right equipment I think.

I have also shot the 16" out to 1500yds, but didn't have an MOA cant base, and ran out of elevation and reticle, but my impacts were all landing in the same place, so I made it a point from them on to only use at least a 20 MOA base for future Grendel projects, even the little carbines.

I then built another with a Lilja barrel, just under 18", and I can rapid-fire sub-MOA strings of at least 6 rounds into 5" vertical at 1000yds.  Shooting at plates within 1000yds got kinda boring, unless you use really small plates, and the gun with optics weighs less than 8lbs.

The advantage to the .260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor is that they impact the steel a lot harder, which is satisfying to the ear, but you have to consider the weight/recoil penalty.

A lot of people that go to a 6mm after 6.5mm don't like turning back just because of recoil, as the 6mm cartridges are pretty much recoilless compared to others.

If UKD is your thing, then I would look at 6mm and 6.5mm.

If rifle weight is an issue where you would like to be able to carry it around, pack it easily into your vehicle, take on hunts, then get an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
I have 4 Grendels now (AR15), and a .260 Rem LR-260 done by GAP, my 2nd .260 Rem (1st was LR-260 DPMS).

I have taken my 16" Grendel out to 1200yds on a challenge, and it surprised everyone in attendance, myself included.  I was the only one making hits for starters, but that had more to do with shooter experience and the right equipment I think.

I have also shot the 16" out to 1500yds, but didn't have an MOA cant base, and ran out of elevation and reticle, but my impacts were all landing in the same place, so I made it a point from them on to only use at least a 20 MOA base for future Grendel projects, even the little carbines.

I then built another with a Lilja barrel, just under 18", and I can rapid-fire sub-MOA strings of at least 6 rounds into 5" vertical at 1000yds.  Shooting at plates within 1000yds got kinda boring, unless you use really small plates, and the gun with optics weighs less than 8lbs.

The advantage to the .260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor is that they impact the steel a lot harder, which is satisfying to the ear, but you have to consider the weight/recoil penalty.

A lot of people that go to a 6mm after 6.5mm don't like turning back just because of recoil, as the 6mm cartridges are pretty much recoilless compared to others.

If rifle weight is an issue where you would like to be able to carry it around, pack it easily into your vehicle, take on hunts, then get an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel.
View Quote

After reading your Grendel info thread, you have my interest on that as well.
The AR10 project is gonna be a heavy gun on purpose, heavier takes some of the recoil out.
I've always been a big bore fan but as I get older, it aint as much fun as it used to be.
I'm gonna take my time and weigh some options on the 10 caliber, I do want to hear a nice tink on the steel.

I now need to start reading up on all things Grendel, probably go a bit heavy on that as well.
I actually just finished a 5lb lightweight 556 build that is my go to carry gun, have had it out to 400 while testing function and optics.
Got about 400-500 rounds thru it so far.

Got a nice CMT billet lower on the way, might need to be the start of a Grendel.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 12:55:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wile_coyote] [#10]

The AR10 project is gonna be a heavy gun on purpose, heavier takes some of the recoil out.
I've always been a big bore fan but as I get older, it aint as much fun as it used to be.
I'm gonna take my time and weigh some options on the 10 caliber, I do want to hear a nice tink on the steel.

I now need to start reading up on all things Grendel, probably go a bit heavy on that as well.
I actually just finished a 5lb lightweight 556 build that is my go to carry gun, have had it out to 400 while testing function and optics.

Got a nice CMT billet lower on the way, might need to be the start of a Grendel.

View All Quotes

Glad LRRPF52 showed up. Once again good info and experience from him.

My Creedmoor and Grendel are both heavy, tanks in fact. They were built that way on purpose. Even though my main Grendel only has a 20" barrel (SPR profile), everything else added up.   I just got the last parts to finish an 18" Grendel.

Keep us posted on your builds, they sound like they will be interesting.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#11]
My 17.6" Grendel weighs under 8lbs with optics.  With a bipod and magazine, it's barely over 9lbs, and has very little recoil.

I used the JP SCS with white spring to achieve bolt lock, and it is a joy to shoot.  My heavy 14lb + .260 Rem remains in pieces, hasn't gone to the range in a long time.

You can see how easy it is to follow-up with rapid shots, and fast target-to-target transitions at longer ranges.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#12]

My Creedmoor and Grendel are both heavy, tanks in fact. They were built that way on purpose. Even though my main Grendel only has a 20" barrel (SPR profile), everything else added up.   I just got the last parts to finish an 18" Grendel.

View All Quotes

I certainly will, and thanks for the help.
Asked about building a AR10 and caliber and ending up looking at AR in Grendel..

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#13]
My 17.6" Grendel weighs under 8lbs with optics.  With a bipod and magazine, it's barely over 9lbs, and has very little recoil.

I used the JP SCS with white spring to achieve bolt lock, and it is a joy to shoot.  My heavy 14lb + .260 Rem remains in pieces, hasn't gone to the range in a long time.

You can see how easy it is to follow-up with rapid shots, and fast target-to-target transitions at longer ranges.

http://youtu.be/vEzjfye1Jyw

http://youtu.be/i_ajiB0kkyc

View Quote

Thanks for the video links.
Gonna start barrel shopping.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:25:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#14]

View All Quotes

Others might disagree with me but I load the long action .280 Remington which has greater case capacity than the 7mm-08 ('06 case versus .308 case) and it is very difficult for me to push 140 grain bullets to 2950 at acceptable pressures in a strong 700 Remington bolt action. With some powder and bullet combinations and working up carefully I can barely get to 3,000 fps with a 24" barrel.  Those are very, very hot rounds suitable for strong bolt guns where the load has been tailored to a specific rifle.

I developed excess headspace in an older 700 Rem in .280 by pushing the loads hotter than this, approaching 3100 fps with 140 grain bullets.  Cases did not seem to indicate excess pressure. Lesson learned.

In a semiauto, 2900-2950 seems too hot in 7mm-08.   If people are doing it safely in AR10 type action, I stand corrected.

I wonder if OP has considered the .308 based .260 as opposed to .243 or 7mm-08?

Edit:  I see OP has chosen the Grendel, but perhaps my experience with 7mm bullets may have some value to others.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MS556:

Others might disagree with me but I load the long action .280 Remington which has greater case capacity than the 7mm-08 ('06 case versus .308 case) and it is very difficult for me to push 140 grain bullets to 2950 at acceptable pressures in a strong 700 Remington bolt action. With some powder and bullet combinations and working up carefully I can barely get to 3,000 fps with a 24" barrel.  Those are very, very hot rounds suitable for strong bolt guns where the load has been tailored to a specific rifle.

I developed excess headspace in an older 700 Rem in .280 by pushing the loads hotter than this, approaching 3100 fps with 140 grain bullets.  Cases did not seem to indicate excess pressure. Lesson learned.

In a semiauto, 2900-2950 seems too hot in 7mm-08.   If people are doing it safely in AR10 type action, I stand corrected.

Edit:  I see OP has chosen the Grendel, but perhaps my experience with 7mm bullets may have some value to others.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MS556:

I appreciate the 7mm info.
I actually like the 7mm for its bc and heavier weight bullets vs the 6mm.

After doing alot of reading, I'm gonna pass on the 243 due to barrel life.
Ive had various AR 10 parts laying around for awhile, just hadnt got to it yet.
I like to think things thru, sometimes too much, and at the same time a bit compulsive..hence the Grendel out of nowhere.
I will get to the Grendel eventually, but for now have started to build the 10, since I had the upper and lower and most misc parts in the parts bin.

Still thinking about caliber, I may just stay with the 308 due to ammo, even though the creedmoore is intriguing.
Need barrel and bcg along with a few small pieces to finish it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#16]
What part of Texas are you in?  If more to the West, I would go with the 6.5 Creedmoor since there are a lot of wide open spaces to reach out on.

Look at Fulton Armory for a barrel.  They are one of the few who seem to know what they are doing.

Link Posted: 3/29/2016 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm in the pineywoods of E Texas.
Long ranges here are man made, cause were full of trees.
I have 550 yds at the deer lease (pipeline).
I have a real range (not mine) that is 1000yds, with all the proper set up, that gets real windy at times.

I'm gonna start practicing/learning to read wind.
I know that I am lacking in that department, im pretty good on the trigger, but wind kills me.
Kinda wish I still had my benchrest 6.5/284 that I sold a few years ago, but I didnt reload and buying good loads from custom ammo makers was expensive.
I have an inherited 25/284 lightweight hunting rifle in Rem 700, that I have paid $5 per round for premium loaded ammo, current purchased load is 100gr Barnes TTSX @ 3110 fps.
I wont be using that caliber as it is basically a 25-06 and 25 bc's suck, good hunting round to 400 or so.

So looks like reloading needs to be in my future also.
I hear ya on the Creedmoore, just really like ammo avaliability in 308, and like the 7mm bullets for the 7mm-08.
Saw a pic of a Creedmoore Hog dropped at 515ys verified, cause it was in the range
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Update:
6.5 Creedmoor has won.
Every ballistic chart has led me to that conclusion, as have several posters in this thread
Went to lgs to verify that 140gr smk's (Winchester factory load) would load and feed in the magpul ar10 mags, they will, no Hornandy 140 gr to try.

Criterion 24" bull barrel and JP high pressure enhanced bolt and firing pin in my cart at Fulton Armory, gotta get back to work.
Thanks to everyone.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Update:
6.5 Creedmoor has won.
Every ballistic chart has led me to that conclusion, as have several posters in this thread
Went to lgs to verify that 140gr smk's (Winchester factory load) would load and feed in the magpul ar10 mags, they will, no Hornandy 140 gr to try.

Criterion 24" bull barrel and JP high pressure enhanced bolt and firing pin in my cart at Fulton Armory, gotta get back to work.
Thanks to everyone.
View Quote

Good Choice
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 1:39:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm pretty impressed with how the Winchester ammo was performing from my buddy's Fulton barreled 6.5 Creedmoor.

No malfs, and brass and primers looked great.  He just slapped the gun together too, which is crazy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 1:40:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Good Choice...

I think 243 would have been a horrible choice.  Too overbore for a gas gun imho.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I plan on using a JP brake and JP adjustable gas block on this build.
Ordered a heavy carbine buffer and spring from Clint yesterday, per his recomendation for carbine reciever on 6.5 Creedmoor.
Grey ctr stock on the way to match grey lower.
Lower is now complete, as far as parts .

Rest of the upper will wait till I can throw some more money at it .
No hurry for me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Very cool. Will be waiting to see it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Brown truck just dropped off my 24' Criterion barrel and JP hp enhanced bolt.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#25]
You're a goner now
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 6:16:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Tag for range reports...  Still contemplating a 6.5CM barrel for my LMT MWS.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Spooky130:
View Quote

May be awhile for range report.
This build is being put together with spare change and as time allows.
But I will post results.
Was dissapointed in the barrel extension fit into an Aero upper, lil sloppy , even though I was gonna bed it.
May just bite the billet and get a billet upper.

My total estimated build weight will be aprox 13.5 lbs, with optic and bipod.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:16:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#28]
Oops.  Delete.  Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#29]

But I will post results.
Was dissapointed in the barrel extension fit into an Aero upper, lil sloppy , even though I was gonna bed it.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Spooky130:

But I will post results.

That is about the same weight as my current rifle, although it should drop a half or so. Switched the Harris to an Atlas.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#30]
How do you like the atlas compared to the harris?
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#31]
How do you like the atlas compared to the harris?
View Quote

Just got home and the Atlas had arrived. Checked it out then mounted it. It has the ADM QD mount. So far, I like it a lot. I'm looking forward to a range trip to check it out. It is pretty stout. I like the way the legs lock into position and the variety of positions and angles available. I wish I still had the Harris to do a comparison. It seems to be a little less bulky in the stowed position.

Like your project, this Grendel has been in a state of flux for a long time. Even though it has been a long term project, I have enjoyed the time put into it. I thought I was near done, then the Atlas came up and I couldn't resist. I am trying to avoid that mentality on my Creedmoor project and have been using the experiences from the Grendel to choose my parts for it. Maybe this time around there will be fewer changes (but I doubt it). Two other possible changes for it, not necessary changes so those may be put off for a while so I can work on my other two builds.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Stopped by the lgs on Saturday to see if I could save a buck, looking for handguard , and rifle length gas tube.
They do custom builds and such, and lo and behold they had a takeoff tube, it was camo, but they also cerakote.
Got tube for basically nothing, went home and torqued everything up, and went to test function with ammo.
Didn't mount optics, as I was gonna tear it back down to drill bipod mount and have it cerakoted.

Shot 4 different loads, 3 of each and 2 different mags (10 and 20rd magpul), everything functioned fine.
It had plenty of gas, glad I got an adjustable block, I ran it full gas, brass was at about 4:30-5 aways off and dented from hitting brass deflector, primers looked good.
All of the brass looked identical after firing.
As soon as I get tube back from coating and figure out how to post pics, I will.

Note:
Hornandy 140gr ELD match, barely fit in the magpul mags, but fed and chambered fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Glad to hear you're functional at least.

I'm looking at the numbers as well.  I'm debating whether barrel life is worth the occasional instance where 6.5 has an edge.  Funny thing, barrel life... most of us will never know a difference - after all how many of us order two identical barrels and shoot them with like-pressure loads until they give up the ghost?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Stopped by the lgs on Saturday to see if I could save a buck, looking for handguard , and rifle length gas tube.
They do custom builds and such, and lo and behold they had a takeoff tube, it was camo, but they also cerakote.
Got tube for basically nothing, went home and torqued everything up, and went to test function with ammo.
Didn't mount optics, as I was gonna tear it back down to drill bipod mount and have it cerakoted.

Shot 4 different loads, 3 of each and 2 different mags (10 and 20rd magpul), everything functioned fine.
It had plenty of gas, glad I got an adjustable block, I ran it full gas, brass was at about 4:30-5 aways off and dented from hitting brass deflector, primers looked good.
As soon as I get tube back from coating and figure out how to post pics, I will.

Note:
Hornandy 140gr ELD match, barely fit in the magpul mags, but fed and chambered fine.
View Quote

Right on. Looking forward to seeing your work. Only item(s) left on my Creedmoor build are the optic and mount. I may just use a Nikon I have sitting around so I can get it built and out to the range, but I have to get back home down south first.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#35]

Right on. Looking forward to seeing your work. Only item(s) left on my Creedmoor build are the optic and mount. I may just use a Nikon I have sitting around so I can get it built and out to the range, but I have to get back home down south first.
View All Quotes

Note:

Unfortunately my smith got tied up this past week, so no koting was done.
Soon!!
Good news my daughter called and wants to drive in this next weekend to take a relax weekend with dad and get a break from a rough semester.
Asked if we could vent some stress off at the range, she will be suprised !!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top