Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2015 3:53:35 AM EDT
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of assembling all the parts to build an SPR. I'm having a hard time with barrels.

I have the opportunity to purchase a Colt 1/7 twist 20" HBAR from the early 90's. Less than 100 rounds through it. Threaded for an A2. Price $325.

Seems a bit high compared to newer barrels, like the Criterion 20" HBAR or Hybrid contour.

Is it worth getting the Colt barrel, or should I get something else from a reputable barrel maker?
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:01:34 AM EDT
[#1]
With a FF tube that will be close to a 1 minute barrel. I'd still get stainless.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#2]
$325 can get you very close to a custom barrel from compass lake. No way would I consider the Colt.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
$325 can get you very close to a custom barrel from compass lake. No way would I consider the Colt.
View Quote

That $325 must be for a complete upper?   That's a ridiculous price for a chrome-lined POS
Those barrels are not far from garbage... you'll beat your head against the wall trying to get 1.5moa out of it.  As me how I know

Like Lenny said, Compass Lake, White Oak, etc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sdrake100:
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of assembling all the parts to build an SPR. I'm having a hard time with barrels.

I have the opportunity to purchase a Colt 1/7 twist 20" HBAR from the early 90's. Less than 100 rounds through it. Threaded for an A2. Price $325.

Seems a bit high compared to newer barrels, like the Criterion 20" HBAR or Hybrid contour.

Is it worth getting the Colt barrel, or should I get something else from a reputable barrel maker?
View Quote

Pass on the Colt barrel... look at barrels from White Oak and Black Hole Weaponry (for starters).
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ch3no2:

That $325 must be for a complete upper?   That's a ridiculous price for a chrome-lined POS
Those barrels are not far from garbage... you'll beat your head against the wall trying to get 1.5moa out of it.  As me how I know

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ch3no2:
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

This is really what I'm afraid of.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#6]
There are lots of new, unfired match barrels on the market for less than $325.00. Rainer Arms, Shilen, WOA, Compass Lake Engineering and Lothar-Walther are better barrels.

Buy a stainless steel barrel and ask them to glass bead blast it for a matte finish. 18" SPR profile barrels are heavy enough, CMP/DCM profile are too heavy in my opinion unless you get it fluted under the hand guard.

There are way too many quality barrels available to pay $325 for a generic used Colt.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Ammo quality is more important than barrel quality for shooting tight groups. You need both for long range work.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I really recommend this barrel. It's been fantastic for me.  https://dsgarms.com/megma-556-18
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I love my Black Hole Weaponry barrel. I can't speak for groups, because I haven't yet taken the time to record any. I can tell you that I was pegging steal at over 400 yards on a very windy day with a borrowed Mark AR. The barrel was dead on as far as positive impacts go. This is the model I have and where I got it. They have several different lengths in stock, and their prices are very competitive.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:59:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alpha0815] [#10]
With my recent experience with WOA, I will never have to decide what barrel to choose again...in 223 Wylde. There is no way a gas gun could be more accurate. Douglas is #2 on my list now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:37:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnStoner] [#11]
Ballistic advantage. Liked the one I got so much I got another. Bother shoot sub moa.

Has done well for me in several carbine courses, on steel out to 700m and popping prairie dogs.

BA 18"
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Rainier Arms match or ultramatch should also be tossed in the mix. I've been very happy with both, with each easily shooting sub-moa (68's, 69's, 75's).
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I had good luck with the Ranier stainless barrels in 1:8, 18" rifle length.

Using a WOA now, same specs as above, and it looks to be a tack driver with a few of my reloads.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
Rainier Arms match or ultramatch should also be tossed in the mix. I've been very happy with both, with each easily shooting sub-moa (68's, 69's, 75's).
View Quote

This or Douglas barrels can't go wrong or White Oak, or compass lake there are so many choices and colt is not one of them in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:55:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lennyo3034] [#15]
I have owned or built rifles using: douglas, WOA, shilen/rainier ultramatch, lilja, and BHW. All were very good barrels and will not have a significant difference in performance from each other assuming you don't get a lemon (my lilja was a lemon). However for my most recent rebarrelling, I went straight to Krieger. The barrel I received from them performs a step above all those I just listed. The wait time however is no joke. If you ordered a Krieger and one of the above right now, you might get the Krieger in by the time you shoot out the other barrel.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#16]
BCM ss410 has been very good in my experience. All very sub moa with Federal 77 gold medal.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:47:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
With my recent experience with WOA, I will never have to decide what barrel to choose again...in 223 Wylde. There is no way a gas gun could be more accurate. Douglas is #2 on my list now.
View Quote

Ditto this^^^

Plus WOA makes the SPR barrels!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By EL_TIRADOR:

Ditto this^^^

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EL_TIRADOR:
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

Ditto this^^^

They didn't make THE SPR/Mk12 barrels, those were Douglas.

That being said, performance for dollar a WOA barrel will not disappoint.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:12:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a 20" WOA and it's a great barrel. I'm interested in a 16" Criterion because the idea of sub-MOA accuracy with chrome lining makes me tingle.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top