Great Factory Trigger
Excellent quality heavy fluted barrel
very nice crowning on threads
Smooth action
Decent rail for optics

Cons:

The factory stock is pure garbage and feels like a cheap plastic toy
The magazine feels kind of cheap and thin

Overall this a great gun. The issue I have is that if you dropping this kind of coin it would be nice to have a serviceable stock. If you buy this rifle you might as well save some money for a new stock. All that being said, everything else is great. I ordered a Choate tactical stock for the time being
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#1]
what was the total bill?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mnwhiskeyman:
what was the total bill?
View Quote
Rifle was $558

Vortex Crossfire II with BDC - $220
Blackhawk Bipod - $50
Choate Stock on order - $250
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DoctorLove:
I dolled it up a little

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/324355/IMG-0623-186409.JPG

Pros:

Great Factory Trigger
Excellent quality heavy fluted barrel
very nice crowning on threads
Smooth action
Decent rail for optics

Cons:

Overall this a great gun. The issue I have is that if you dropping this kind of coin it would be nice to have a serviceable stock. If you buy this rifle you might as well save some money for a new stock. All that being said, everything else is great. I ordered a Choate tactical stock for the time being
View Quote

I feel pretty much the same way about mine (FLCP-SR), wish it were possible to use magpul mags and a magpul stock though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
nice! cal is 308 I assume?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
nice! cal is 308 I assume?
View Quote
Correct
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By evo7011:

I feel pretty much the same way about mine (FLCP-SR), wish it were possible to use magpul mags and a magpul stock though.
View Quote
Magpul mags yes, but I think the Choate stock is better than the magpul
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#7]
been looking at this big time....

Savage® Arms Model 10T-SR Tactical Bolt-Action Rifle with Threaded Barrel
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I assume you have Accustock?  Looks cheap but the aluminum chassis works well.

That Choate is just a different plastic stock on aluminum frame.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I assume you have Accustock?  Looks cheap but the aluminum chassis works well.

That Choate is just a different plastic stock on aluminum frame.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#10]
It is the accustock. I guess I am being picky but the feel sucks and I don't like the low hand placement either
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad I got one of the last of the first run of the FCP-SR rifles. The ones with the AICS bottom metal. Granted they were almost twice the cost of what you paid, but I threw a Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 on it and a Harris 6-9" bipod. That thing is a tack-driver with FGMM and Silver State Armory 168gr loads. Have only taken it out to 776 yards on my dad's range on the farm. I think I will step up to some 175gr handloads and get it re-sighted for that bullet weight.

I would assume the new ones have, at a minimum, the same barrel and trigger meaning that your rifle should have some great potential as well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#12]
It is the accustock. I guess I am being picky but the feel sucks and I don't like the low hand placement either
View Quote
You aren't being picky, the stock is garbage ergonomically speaking. The accustock is very functional, but it seems it was designed for an automatic chin weld. The comb is thin, the rifle is front heavy, the list goes on.

A choate will solve most of these issues and is a relatively simple fix. All that being said, savage had to cut costs somewhere, and I guess you see it in the stock, mags, and somewhat sloppy bolt.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice! I pick one up a couple of months ago. The only complaint I have is the mag pop out a couple of times on me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I just ordered 140 round of BTHP for $105 shipped. That hurt bad. This thing is money pit
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I just ordered 140 round of BTHP for $105 shipped. That hurt bad. This thing is money pit
View Quote
Lol you're just standing at the edge of a very deep hole.  It only gets more expensive from here.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 8 stamps right now. I have to pace myself and anything else I do this bad boy
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Cons:

View Quote

Yep.  That's what you get for $540.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I put mine in a choate tactical as well,the accustock is way too skinny for me
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
The accustock is actually decent in function just not the most comfortable.

The drill thru kydex risers are a solid $30 investment.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:

Lol you're just standing at the edge of a very deep hole.  It only gets more expensive from here.
View Quote
No shit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

View Quote
I have been considering putting a karsten riser on my fcp-sr . I have one on my M1A and really like it . A very worth while addition  for the money . all things said and done I am satisfied with my fcp-sr  .
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By evo7011:

View Quote
You can swap out the bottom metal to use AICS mags, including the Magpul.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Rifle was $558

Blackhawk Bipod - $50
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
what was the total bill?
Rifle was $558

Blackhawk Bipod - $50
Why didn't you consider the Bergara HMR? Street price around $850, and no need to replace anything. Once you commit to replacing the stock on the Savage, you might as well just go for the HMR.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By TheSpaniard:

Why didn't you consider the Bergara HMR? Street price around $850, and no need to replace anything. Once you commit to replacing the stock on the Savage, you might as well just go for the HMR.
View Quote
Always wanted the Savage 10, had all the features I wanted. Honestly, I didn't know I was going to dislike the stock as much as I did. All good now though. Tossed the Choate on and it is awesome
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:58:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RangerJoe11] [#26]

View All Quotes

Do you possibly have a link to this?

Need this bad for my 10T.

Don't think I want to dump much more money into the rifle but the riser is needed bad.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Your new stock looks good. I need one for my Savage. I've been holding out to see if Magpul will release one but I'm getting tired of waiting
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I didn't want to wait. It is a solid stock, so many on the market for Remington, but savage guys kind of get screwed
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:

View Quote
I know the feeling and it's still burning.  I recently got into long range shooting and bought and out fitted a Savage BA Stealth in Creedmoor.  Having a blast with it and going to start reloading soon.

OP- Rifle looks good and it is a shame that the stock is horrible.  First thing I did with my Stealth was change the horrible butt stock and put a 20 MOA scope rail on it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:

You can swap out the bottom metal to use AICS mags, including the Magpul.
View Quote
how much of a pain is it to swap in the magpul dbm?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Hey doc,  post more about the Choate stock.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

Hey doc,  post more about the Choate stock.
View Quote
It is solid stock. No flex at all. It has some weight to it, a lot of weight. It is a $200 stock and not a $500 stock. It is crude in the finish. It is definitely function over form. Fit is great, finish is not. If I was anal about it I would have sanded the rough edges and dremeled some of the really rough spots. Overall, it is great upgrade from the factory stock, but low end of the aftermarket stocks. For savage, there aren't as many options as Remington. From Choate I think H&S would be the next step up
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:09:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#33]
Originally Posted By billth777:

View Quote
Two screws.

http://store.accurate-mag.com/savageshortactionbottommetalkit.aspx

That's the same BM as on the older FCP-SRs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Two screws.

View All Quotes

Two screws.

So the magpul DBM is a direct swap with only minor fitting for the stock savage 10 FCP-SR rifle?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#35]

So the magpul DBM is a direct swap with only minor fitting for the stock savage 10 FCP-SR rifle?
View Quote

It's not (necessarily) Magpul DBM.

It's made by Accurate Mag and will take any AICS pattern magazines, INCLUDING the Magpul units.
It is a direct swap out with the Savage Accustock.  It is the same BM that was on this model a few years ago before they changed the lineup.
There may be minor fitting for something like the Choate stock.

Note:
There is a caution in the Savage owner's manual about the screws when changing stocks, or in this case the DBM.  
One of them screws into the plastic of the stock, not the receiver steel so you have to make sure not to torque that screw.
The other two screws are machine screws that do tie in to the receiver.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#36]
This thread has a lot of information about the changes.
Read it all of the way through.  The beginning has some negative comments because of the changes, but by the end most are cleared up.
Good discussion about the stocks and BM too.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?40964-Beware-10FCP-SR-has-been-changed

Savage added the Stealth and Ashbury Precision model chassis rifles to the LE line.  
I think in order to make the price point and have the 10 FCP-SR model as the base model, they removed the AICS DBM along with the 20 MOA scope base and the brake they had on the original 10 FCP-SR.    
They left the 20 MOA base off the stealth too, again I believe to make their price point since the 20 MOA base is about twice the cost of the 0 MOA one.

There are some complaints in that thread about the new proprietary magazines.  
I have the Stealth, but if I had the 10 FCP-SR, I'd replace the DBM, and probably the scope rail too if I thought I was going to get out to the max range of the platform.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:51:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22] [#37]
I am learning a lot doing this build. I am not regretting going the Savage route though. I have a ton of friends who said I made the wrong choice and I should have went Remington. I have a feeling this is going to be a crazy accurate gun for the money. It took me over a year to save up for this build. I really like the trigger. I have it set to right at 3 pounds. It is clean and crisp. If I were to do it all over again, the only thing I would change is saving up more for an H&S stock instead of getting impatient and buying the Choate. Still a good stock, just doesn't have all the cool whistles and bells.

I would love to have the cash to drop on the Stealth. Maybe one day
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:56:46 AM EDT
[#38]
I am learning a lot doing this build. I am not regretting going the Savage route though. I have a ton of friends who said I made the wrong choice and I should have went Remington. I have a feeling this is going to be a crazy accurate gun for the money. It took me over a year to save up for this build. I really like the trigger. I have it set to right at 3 pounds. It is clean and crisp. If I were to do it all over again, the only thing I would change is saving up more for an H&S stock instead of getting impatient and buying the Choate. Still a good stock, just doesn't have all the cool whistles and bells.

I would love to have the cash to drop on the Stealth. Maybe one day
View Quote
I have a Stealth in Creedmoor and it is very accurate with factory ammo.  Win that being said, the factory horrible stock was changed and it needed a 20 MOA scope rail.  This is my first bolt action and couldn't be happier with it and they can be found for $900 fairly easy. Good luck on your build and let us know how she shoots.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:16:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Now, Savage is offering a $100 rebate on the gun I just purchased. Oh well, it is what it is
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By RangerJoe11:

Don't think I want to dump much more money into the rifle but the riser is needed bad.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RangerJoe11:

http://matthewsfabrication.com/product/adjustable-kydex-cheek-rest/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top