Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2016 10:24:18 AM EDT
I'm planning to swap out the Savage factory stock, on a short action w/ centerfeed. I have a design in my head for some custom work to the stock The Choate Tactical Stock (25-06-01) looks to fit the template I need, especially the pricetag.

Does anyone have experience with this stock? If so, what are your opinions?
Has anyone upgraded the bottom metal?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I put one on my Savage 12.  Like many reviews say, it's a bit heavier than other options but that's of no concern to me.  The palm swell is also on the large size but with larger hands it doesn't bother me either.  It's quite rigid, no chance of the forend deflecting like the factory stock did.  The forend rail for attaching the bipod is a bit uncecessary (a simple sling stud would get the job done) but it works.  The recoil lug slot is very wide, will easily accommodate any aftermarket recoil lug.

Given the price, it's a hell of a bargain.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Have had one for many years on a 10fp.

It works.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Op,
     I have that stock on my converted Stevens .260. Good stock for the money.

I bought it because of the accessory rail that would allow me to install a handstop for sling shooting.

Its a little on the heavy side, but not bad.

SY
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#4]

This is a good looking Choate stock.  The ones that have a huge open hole in the stock should have been named choad stocks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: User55645] [#5]
Ok, I'm gonna go for it.
Going to pick up a PTG bottom metal and try the MDTTAC AICS mags, too.

It weighs the same as a McMillan A5 and less than a Manners T4A.
My modifications should drop weight, just a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top