Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2020 12:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: henryfrank]
I'm new to precision rifles and have a chance to buy this in really good condition with 2,000 rnds down the pipe for this much from a family member. It shoots excellent still and it seems like a good deal, but honestly dont know since it seems out of production and the rnd count is still up there so didnt know if it devalued it more than what theyre asking for it. Thoughts?

Doesnt come with anything. Just rifle with the rail on top. No box, scope, bipod, etc.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Fixed or folding stock?

I'd say it's a good deal either way, a great deal in a folders. You sure won't lose money on it if you decide it isn't for you. Everyone should own an Accuracy International.

The action is never going to wear out, and that barrel is just broken in.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 1:18:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: phlegm] [#2]
It's a decent price for a good condition MkIII.

You can usually expect upwards of 5k rounds out of a 308 barrel, and that one takes small shank prefits that make new barrels a cinch.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a fixed stock one in green. Not a folder unfortunately. Have these been any cheaper on the used market before?
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 2:42:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: forensicgun] [#4]
Thats a decent price for an AI AE. If it hasnt been abused, that round count wouldnt scare me off, esp if I could shoot it before I bought it.

Meant to ask is the seller including anything else (Mags, optic, etc)?
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]
No optics. Just the one mag. The rail on top is included. That's pretty much it. Would need a scope, bipod, etc. No original box or anything either
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a good price for a fixed stock rifle.

Folders have sold for about $2300 on BG as of late.

If it's in good condition I'd buy it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you. How much more are folders usually worth out of curiosity? I cant find that many recently sold wts ads for AI AEs at all. If the folders were going for 2.3k how much would the non folders be as of late?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:11:03 AM EDT
[#8]
In my exp people tend to hold on to AI rifles. They pop up occasionally on the EE here, but if you want to look and see what people have been asking (not necessarily what they have been getting) check out the sales on Snipers Hide. That site has more AI rifles for sale than our EE.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Yea. Unfortunately I've tried to check there using a search but havent had many hits on the AI AEs. Plus many people delete the price and replace with SOLD instead so am hoping someone who kinda has seen the market for these lately knows mix, max, avg or so that these sell for nowadays. Thanks for the suggestion!
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By henryfrank:
Thank you. How much more are folders usually worth out of curiosity? I cant find that many recently sold wts ads for AI AEs at all. If the folders were going for 2.3k how much would the non folders be as of late?

Thanks again!
View Quote

From the factory the folding option adds ~$450.  The only reason to have the folder is so that you don't have to remove the cheekpiece to remove the bolt for cleaning.

Folders tend to sell a bit better, however, it wouldn't be a deal breaker to me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By henryfrank:
Yea. Unfortunately I've tried to check there using a search but havent had many hits on the AI AEs. Plus many people delete the price and replace with SOLD instead so am hoping someone who kinda has seen the market for these lately knows mix, max, avg or so that these sell for nowadays. Thanks for the suggestion!
View Quote

Recently there have been 4 AE MKIII folders sold on GB that I watched sold by Mile High Shooting.

They sold from $2005 to $2500.  They also had the NV spigot adapter installed as well.  They were also trade-ins so they weren't exactly babied.

I'd see if he would go for $1900 or $2000 and go from there.  Being able to inspect it prior to purchase is a huge plus to me and would be worth a couple hundred extra dollars.  Look at the bolt face for any kind of pitting around the primer.

If you get it go to Anarchy Outdoors and get the picatinny/ARCA spigot adapter for it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Is this adding another bolt gun to the collection or is this gonna be the one? The reason I ask is the AI platform is a little dated and even at a great price isn't the style I or most people would initially buy. If that was the case, you'd see a lot more of them and copies.

So my answer is don't buy it just because its a good deal. Make sure you like the way it feels as that's a lot more important than initial cost. :)
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By robpiat:
Is this adding another bolt gun to the collection or is this gonna be the one? The reason I ask is the AI platform is a little dated and even at a great price isn't the style I or most people would initially buy. If that was the case, you'd see a lot more of them and copies.

So my answer is don't buy it just because its a good deal. Make sure you like the way it feels as that's a lot more important than initial cost. :)
View Quote

I'd take an AI AE/AT/AW over 90% of the rifles out there.

If I could only keep one rifle it'd be my AT or an AW.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#14]
This is supposed to be the one and I want something amazing that will last and hopefully fill all my needs.

I've personally shot it and managed to get a group the size or a penny at 100 which is usually way more difficult on my rem700.

I do want it to be something I have no reason to upgrade later on though. It's also a ton of money for me to drop right now so i need to make sure it's a great deal and not something I can easily find.

How well do these hold value? If I hit hard times and have to sell in a few years will the hit be large?

Thanks so much for the advice all!
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't see them moving much from the $2K mark anytime soon as the AE MKIII is a great rifle.

The only reason I upgraded from my AE MKIII to an AT was because I wanted to and I wanted the double stack double feed magazines of the AT.  They aren't really necessary but I wanted them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Did you buy it?
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 12:43:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Still working on it. Wont see him for a while so thinking it over. I do really want it though and am leaning toward buying it. He wont budge lower on price though so it is what it is. If this is one of those deals that hardly ever pop up I definitely want to take it but it sounds like this price may be more common than I expected originally which makes it harder to decide for me haha.

I'd also need to find a great deal on a scope somewhere to make it work and cabelas already sold out of the Leo Mark 5s I'm afraid.

If there is anything else you can think of that would make the deal worth it please tell me. I'm all ears to be convinced to send it 😂

Thanks again for all your help.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd still grab it if you can look it over and it looks like it's in great shape.

As far as scopes I'd get in on this deal.  Don't forget the FC19 code.

You get a Kestrel Sportsman too that you can either keep or sell.  I have 3 o the DMR II's and honestly like them more than my Gen II Razor.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top