Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2018 11:56:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harv24]
So I have decided that the pillars I add have not solved my flyers... So I have decided to fully bed the action to the stock.

This is a bit of an undertaking as the Ruger using bedding blocks. I have decided not to permanently mount the blocks to the stock, but allow then to be removed.

I started out by removing the pillars. Luckily this went better then I expected, probably due to using JB weld.
Then off to the hardware store for new pillars and longer action screws.

The goal is to have them stick out past the stock. so later, once everything is set up, I can trim them down to where I want.

I started to route out inside the stock and found a few spots where the wood have been up against where the barrel and action meet. Could be the source of my inconsistency...

I have decided to go with Devcon 10110. As I want this to be as strong as possible. Iwill need to add grooves to the pillars and finish off routing out and masking off the stock... stay tuned.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#1]
You just get pillars at the hardware store? Stainless sleeves of some kind?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup.. Home depot... in the Hardware section...

Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:12:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, today was D-Day.. finally got all the stuff I wanted
Devcon
Latex surgical tubing
Neutral Shoe polish (Release agent)
Plumber putty

Did all my prep work.. cleaned everything... masked and putty up all the area
Mixed up the compound and went to work

Now we wait to see if
A.I mixed the Devcon correctly
B. Did I use release agent and putty in all the correct areas and will the action come out...

Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm Watching
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#5]
12/7 update..

Bedding a success....yeah me...action removed  from stock with no issues...and compound ratio was correct..
and both bedding blocks removed as well...albeit a bit tighter fit, which I wanted...

Took a Dremel to the extended pillars and cleaned up some compound.

Now of course, like all my projects...I decided to deviate a bit and also add a palm swell to the pistol grip area....
Sanded and fitted a piece of wood. Glued and clamped and drying.

Nest step, more sanding and fitting....Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Well , I got the stock cleaned up, and replaced the E-clip I lost on the trigger assembly. Now I have the grip routed out and used some plumbers putty to mock up the oversized custom fit grip.

I had to trim the two action screws a bit.. I'm going to add a couple of drywall screws to the grip area to give the Epoxy putty I bought an area to grip to... I have Friday off, so that will be grip day and them hopefully final sanding and repainting.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:57:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harv24] [#7]
So another Friday vacation day to work on this... replaced the Plumbers Putty with Epoxy Putty. used two drywall screws into the stock to anchor the epoxy grip.
After shaping and final sanding.. a base coat of Flat black and then a coat of Texturized Green that I found at my Local Fleet Farm.

Remounted the scope rail and scope... and viola...

all that is left is to add my camo pattern and off to the range to see how the bedding works and if it improved my accuracy... or  just gave me something to do over the Winter.

I do like the custom grip I made, so if nothing else I got that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#8]

All camo'd up and ready to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice work! Looking forward to your range report!
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MJ11B4P:
Nice work! Looking forward to your range report!
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 4:33:13 AM EDT
[#11]
That's awesome! Can't wait to hear how it shoots
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top