Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2020 4:44:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 2:47:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes, the system can be better over a longer part of the errosion life when the jump is large, as contrasted with needing to always "chase the lands" with wear.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2020/03/29/bullet-jump-load-development/

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:53:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#3]
Some .30s can go an inch or more, though I think that was with 10-15k wear in a chromoly barrel.

.224" 77gr SMK jumps about an eighth inch in a Wylde or 5.56 throat. Slicker bullets like the TMK, ELD, and 53gr VMAX may be another 40 thou.

My little experience with harder gaschecked lead boolits showed them to prefer light jam to avoid skidding or other malformity that hurts performance.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Bullet design contributes to what can and can't work well. Sierra Match Kings seem to shoot well no matter how far they jump.

VLD's usually have to be on or in the lands.

I prefer to use bullets that feed from a magazine and shoot well in spite of it. Loading one at a time is fine for long range tournaments or the 600 yard line at a NRA/CMP event, but not very good anywhere else.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Bullet design contributes to what can and can't work well. Sierra Match Kings seem to shoot well no matter how far they jump.

VLD's usually have to be on or in the lands.

I prefer to use bullets that feed from a magazine and shoot well in spite of it. Loading one at a time is fine for long range tournaments or the 600 yard line at a NRA/CMP event, but not very good anywhere else.
View Quote

77 grain .224 SMKs, yes. 90 grain .224 SMKs, nope. 10 to 30 off is the sweet spot with group sizes increasing in either direction. 6.5s in 142 have preferences as well.

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#7]
When CA forced us to use lead-free bullets in the Condor Zone, that edict covered some prime pig hunting territory and forced me into developing pig loads with Barnes bullets.

(Not to start a rant about the left wing lunatics that run the place, but they expanded the law state wide and after many years of data, the condor's lead level has never come down. Don't let them spread this BS into other states.)

I tried the TSX and TTSX, settled on the TTSX. If you are unfamiliar with copper alloy bullets, they are longer for the same grain weight due to their density being lower without the lead.

One would assume they are an opportunity to seat out longer than a conventional bullet, but...

I was completely surprised when those needed to jump. They hated to be near the lands.

I have had to load them now for several friends and every one of those rigs demands large jump to group.

I can't explain it, so I won't try. I just let the gun and target tell me where they want to seat and roll with it.

The good news is pigs here are not hard to hunt and you can easily close the distance so shots tend to be less than 200 yards.

Once you explore the longer jump range, those bullets are very capable of good accuracy and good terminal performance when they hit at the right speeds.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:24:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glock63] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RegionRat:
When CA forced us to use lead-free bullets in the Condor Zone, that edict covered some prime pig hunting territory and forced me into developing pig loads with Barnes bullets.

(Not to start a rant about the left wing lunatics that run the place, but they expanded the law state wide and after many years of data, the condor's lead level has never come down. Don't let them spread this BS into other states.)

I tried the TSX and TTSX, settled on the TTSX. If you are unfamiliar with copper alloy bullets, they are longer for the same grain weight due to their density being lower without the lead.

One would assume they are an opportunity to seat out longer than a conventional bullet, but...

I was completely surprised when those needed to jump. They hated to be near the lands.

I have had to load them now for several friends and every one of those rigs demands large jump to group.

I can't explain it, so I won't try. I just let the gun and target tell me where they want to seat and roll with it.

The good news is pigs here are not hard to hunt and you can easily close the distance so shots tend to be less than 200 yards.

Once you explore the longer jump range, those bullets are very capable of good accuracy and good terminal performance when they hit at the right speeds.
View Quote

Same experience loading the ttsx here.  I always start .010 off the lands. Couldn't get them to shoot for shit in a custom .308 with a bartlein barrel that will stack fgmm on top of each other all day. Backed them off to .050 and they went sub moa in front of a modest charge of varget.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:44:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Little_Scrapper] [#9]
I am limited by mag size in my UU in 308. With 175gr SMK I can go roughly 2.240" head to Ogive. Much longer and I have to single load as they wont fit the mag.

As I recall my modified case measurements were in the 2.28" - 2.29" range.

My M118LR's measure in the 2.230" range so they could be jumping as much as 60 thou apparently. However, they shoot pretty well for MIL ammo. My hand loads are more consistent and have better accuracy.

Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Shilen Select Match .243 with a "zero free bore" chamber cut that likes a good bit of jump.

The Nosler 105 RDF I'm shooting liked .080 jump when I ran the Berger seating depth test.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top