Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2014 9:05:09 AM EDT
I wanted to get into bows and bow hunting.  A friend of mines father used to bow hunt years ago, and his equipment was just sitting in a barn.  I asked my friend and his dad how much they'd want for his old bow, as I figured they'd give me a good price and it would be a cheep way to start.  Well, I was right, they gave me all his stuff for free!  Problem is, I don't really know what I've got in this thing.  Yes, its old, and I need to find a shop to tune it up (I cleaned it up the last two nights, so alot of the dirt in the pics is gone).  I also need to put fletching on the arrows as the existing fletching is beat up/gone.  Can anyone tell me about this bow?

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:23:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#1]
Well, it was probably a really good bow in its day, and it will possibly shoot really well for you.  Take it to a pro shop and let them check it out.

I don't want to rain on your parade (Bowrade)?, but you will end up spending far more at a pro shop than that bow is worth.  I see it all the time at the archery range/shop I go to, somebody comes in with a really neat old bow and they find out it would be 50-150 to get it ready to shoot.  
 You could possibly just get some cheap arrows and see how you like it first, but there is a very good chance the old string will break.  Then you end up popping yourself in the face
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I got it for free and we have shot it (I have 4 arrows to fletch right now, with a ton more on hand).  String looks recent so maybe he replaced it but who knows.  Its just for me to learn with, once I learn I'll pick up a much newer bow.  Gotta learn on something.  I'd like to replace the part that holds the arrow on the frame (and yeah, I don't know what that is ), as that is hard to balance an arrow on, but other than that I just want to see how it shoots before the snow hits.  Hopefully i can learn something and if I could take a deer with it, it make his dad so proud (and the mans been like a father to me so that would mean alot to me to).  Thanks for the response, I'll definitely keep it in mind (especially the string).
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Get some string wax, it helps preserve the string.   You could find a better arrow rest for 30-50.00
Top Top