Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2016 9:04:53 AM EDT
Had a blast! I shot well having only 5 penalty points and placed 9 the out of 15 guys . I doubt I can run any faster so I have to shoot faster. I shot with the first place shooter in my stage and noticed his rifle stayed flat when fired any he was able to fire very fast. Miclek comp and adjustable gas. His pistol was a 2011 9 or 38 super and barley recoiled , and his Beretta comp shotgun , he'd throw 4 shells in one motion. My rifle was bouncing around I had to require the sight picture, my Colt 45 had hard ball loads and the benelli I borrowed worked well but could be softer shooting and I definitely have to work on my Reloading. If I saw a big 45 hole in the a zone I didn't shoot that target agin figuring on savi ng reload time. Any tips will be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#1]
the old saying is smooth is fast.  

Practice the reloads more than anything.  Plenty of vids to watch for techniques.  A lot don't work for me because I have small hands so a fist full of shot shells is clumsy for me.

I haven't done any formal in years but I was a box stock run what ya brung type.   You're only going to get so close to a practiced shooter with all the specialty Gucci gear.   I was always figured I was practicing and keeping it real so no game gear that wasn't PRACTICAL street gear.   Not a game winning strategy though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:51:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthyBlagga] [#2]
Rifle: Muzzle brake, match single stage trigger, fast acquisition optic, magazines with sufficient capacity to obviate the need for reloading on the clock. Make sure you have a good zero. Don't waste time missing at long-range.
Shotgun: Practice loading. Quad Loading is fastest if you are good, but requires substantial investment in practice time, and has a high disaster factor. Load 2 gets you 90% there with 10% of the effort.
Pistol: High capacity 9mm. No need for an STI - a Glock/XD/M&P will be just fine, and can be upgraded later as needed.

Don't kid yourself that you can buy performance with better equipment. The bigger investment should be in practice, and in shooting HANDGUN matches... no place is is better for maximizing your stage efficiency than a USPSA handgun match. Cheaper and more available too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 7:50:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4570govt] [#3]
Great advice guys, definitely need practice. It seems it's faster to get 2 hits anywhere than taking the time to get a sight picture and a center hit? Gotta try a muzzle brake on the rifle trigger is a rock river Nat match. I'm a died in the wool 1911 guy but those glocks, etc are looking good. Is there a power factor in this game? I think lower recoil ammo would speed up shot recovery.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#4]
No power factor. A 1911 would only be good if you were shooting heavy metal, but then you would shoot a .308 rifle (ar-10 etc) and a pump 12 ga.

Adding a Glock, M&P, or XDM will help out. 9mm is cheaper and as you said...less recoil.  I will say, a comp on your AR is a must have for this game to be competitive. Practice your reloads (as said above).

Lastly, look at your foot work. You want to take the least amount of steps with very little foot 'shuffle'. Why take 4 steps when you can do it in 3. I am not saying take bigger steps, but moving with your outside foot first always saves you about 1 step. Do that 5 times on a stage and you dropped 2-3 seconds. I became a lost faster in USPSA not because I started shooting faster, but I moved more efficiently.

Good luck and have fun!
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Have a Browning hi power 9mm I'll try next month, going to look at comps, any that aren't real loud? Trying lighter loads in the benelli to make sure they function.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 8:13:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Willz] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 4570govt:
Have a Browning hi power 9mm I'll try next month, going to look at comps, any that aren't real loud? Trying lighter loads in the benelli to make sure they function.
View Quote

Any comp that mitigates recoil and muzzle rise effectively will be loud. Double up on hearing protection if you find it distractingly loud.

An adjustable gas block and "tuning" the buffer spring/BCG will reduce the felt reciprocating mass of the system.

I use a Miculek Comp currently and I've been pleased but I just purchased an Armalite tunable brake to try on a new build.

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
the old saying is smooth is fast.  

Practice the reloads more than anything.  Plenty of vids to watch for techniques.  A lot don't work for me because I have small hands so a fist full of shot shells is clumsy for me.

I haven't done any formal in years but I was a box stock run what ya brung type.   You're only going to get so close to a practiced shooter with all the specialty Gucci gear.   I was always figured I was practicing and keeping it real so no game gear that wasn't PRACTICAL street gear.   Not a game winning strategy though.
View Quote

Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Break down what you want to work on (reloading, acquiring sight picture, etc) and do it slowly.  Repeat it slowly, optimize it by looking for inefficient movements.  Work it slowly and find out where the snags and inefficiencies are, then work those parts slowly until they are smooth.  Put that piece together (e.g. reloading) until you're happy with it, then move on to the next piece.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.  Work it slow until it's smooth, then the speed will come naturally.

This may be redundant, but also make sure your basics are rock solid when you're working slowly.

Disclaimer:  I've never shot 3 gun, but I've spent several decades practicing various martial arts.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Trying to figure out the tuning of bolt carriers, buffers etc. Do you need adj gas to tune? I have a Noveske rouge hunter with standard bolt carrier and spikes t2 buffer. I also have an Aim ultralight bolt carrier in another build. Should I put the ultralight in? What are you looking for when tuning? What are you tuning with the armalite comp?
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 4570govt:
Trying to figure out the tuning of bolt carriers, buffers etc. Do you need adj gas to tune? I have a Noveske rouge hunter with standard bolt carrier and spikes t2 buffer. I also have an Aim ultralight bolt carrier in another build. Should I put the ultralight in? What are you looking for when tuning? What are you tuning with the armalite comp?
View Quote

Tuning the Armalite Comp and "tuning"  or balancing the BCG/buffer system are two different things but they both can help reduce felt recoil.

Armalite muzzle brake--https://armalite.com/portfolio/armalite-tunable-muzzle-brake-instructions/

Balancing the buffer and BCG is a bit more complicated and is a topic all its own,

My advise is to get a good comp/muzzle brake before you make other changes. You don't want to sacrifice reliability at this point if your rifle is running well.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Write down a list of all of the things that you need to work on for each of the three disciplines and then practice all of those things separately.

For example:

Shotgun- practicing reloads on the move, and practicing what to do if the gun runs dry when there are still targets
Rifle- practice shooting precision targets at close-med range, practice target transitions on the move
Pistol- practice holster work and double taps at medium range targets

It is usually best to work on basics and fundamentals for each weapon.  Then work on movement and doing several things at once.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#12]
use a shot timer for practice and video tape your shooting.  I thought I was shooting faster till I saw myself on film.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#13]
You'll have to teach your subconscious how to pull the trigger...while all your self conscious does is aim the sights. It's like talking to someone while your driving a vehicle.

I heard it takes about firing about 30,000 rounds, in order to teach your subconscious to pull the trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top