Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2020 1:23:18 PM EDT
All,

I'm new to competitive shooting and have been very intrigued by 3 gun. That being said, I've shot a shotgun a dozen times in my life and not sure where I should go from here (other than start shooting). I have a Belgium Browning A5 (from the 50s), but other than that I don't have another shotgun. I would prefer to keep that shotgun in great shape as it was my grandfathers and was handed down to me from my father. What shotgun should I be looking to purchase knowing 3 gun is the ultimate goal? I'm solid with rifles and pistols, but don't even know where to begin with a shotgun outside of a few reviews here and there. What advice would you give a complete newby like myself? Feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Just use the Auto 5, it kicks more than the 1100 / 1187's but will get no disrespect at 3 gun
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:18:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Arty8] [#2]
Back when I shot 3 gun, I used the fn slp,  22 inch barrel, it was soft shooting and pretty reliable.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Shooting Open or other division?

Hard to go wrong with a Benelli.

Been running a Remy VersaMax Competition Tactical for a number of years. It's essentially a Benelli knock-off.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Arty8:
Back when I shot 3 gun, I used the fn slp,  22 inch barrel, it was soft shooting and pretty reliable.
View Quote

same, except I used a Winchester SX2. they are the same as the FN in everything except price, all the parts fit. I had the 3.5" magnum and while I never shot that length shells, the big ass loading port made reloading easier. Not overly expensive at the time, either. I have young kids so don't shoot 3 gun these days.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I use an 870. Never said I placed well lol but its fun shuckin' corn

I have my eye on an SX3
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 8:11:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coffin-Nail] [#6]
For a budget tacops gun go with a Franchi Affinity 3, you'll have to open up the loading port but if you do the work yourself you'll be in it for less than a grand total. It's made by Benelli and uses most Benelli parts outside of the recoil system. I actually found mine used for $500. It has a 26" barrel but that's a non issue, you'll want a tube that'll hold 12 so you can top off wherever you want and can do less counting. For a little more you can't beat the Beretta 1301's, honestly at that price point the Benelli's aren't nearly as nice as the gas operation of the Beretta as it makes it a much softer shooting gun which will lower your split times.

What I did to the Franchi: Taran Tactical lifter, Nordic bolt handle, match saver, +8 Nordic Tube and clamp,  opened the loading port and contoured the trigger guard, RCI-XRAIL Oversize Saftey (required a little squaring of the trigger guard), and an 8oz mercury recoil suppressor attached to the stock bolt. I started with an 11oz but the gun wouldn't always cycle when dirty. Honestly the weight is kind of a wash in usefulness. The inertia guns are weight sensitive whereas the Beretta's don't care. My friends Beretta is close to 10lbs.

My first attempt at opening up my port, I've since gone a little deeper and made a larger bolt release.

Running my guns at the last local 3-Gun, came in 3rd overall and 2nd in TacOps.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHWYMTypkAK/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fury413rb:
I use an 870. Never said I placed well lol but its fun shuckin' corn

I have my eye on an SX3
View Quote

Honestly the loading quirks of the 870 messed me up the most, occasionally I thought I had it locked and it wasn't which won't allow loading. You can do fairly well with a properly outfitted 870 but I'd only suggest that if you already have one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Go Open or go home

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Benelli M2 or Beretta 1301 for me
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Benelli M2 -- lots of aftermarket parts and ideas -- I shoot TTI M2 for Tac ops
Stoeger -- never had one, but there are lot of parts too.  Not many top shooters use outside of the Yackley family
Mossberg - hit or miss
Winchesters SX3/2 /FN competition:  I started w/ SX3 -- no after market or very hard to find.  I'm selling to brother or will just keep since its the Flanigan model w/ the red receiver
DA Verp 12 -- my current open shotgun.  It's a Dissident Arms so there's not much else to say.
RIA 90 -- inexpensive out of box but I heard it takes a lot of time and $$ to get running.
Browning A5 -- since your already know the A5, why not get a newer version.  A bunch of local guys shoot them and a couple are pretty good.  Look up Greg Jordan

I RO'd FNH 3gun for 3 years and the best all around or top shooters had Benelli M2's.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#11]
The Franchi is nice. It's basically similar in design to the Stoeger with the spring in forearm (benelli has it in stock), but made in Italy at Benelli.
Quite a bit nicer than Stoeger, imo, and shares a lot of Benelli parts.

I have a 26" for 3gun and it's a pretty sweet gun. I feel it's a nice alternative to the M2.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Benelli M2, except no others. I’ve had mine for close to 5 years and it’s been great
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:49:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I just bought a Mossberg 940 JM Pro, and its been shooting really well at the range.  As luck would have it, right after I got it, the match director quit ....  

Figures.....
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Seeing Jerry's own 940 choke during his youtube video's didn't give me the warm and fuzzies, hopefully yours will run well. Most everyone at our matches are running 1301's and M2's or their derivatives. Unfortunately many are buying Honcho's which has a painful price tag but man are they nice.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#15]
stoeger m3000 or mossberg 3 gun shotgun (forget the name) for a budget setup. benelli M2 if price isn't a factor. I shot a pump gun for a year but just because I already had one. absolutely buy a mag tube extension right away. shotgun shell holders can wait until you shoot a match or 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top