Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2012 11:38:49 PM EDT
Been researching buying a .308 autoloader again and toyed with the idea of an M1A. But then I have read from a lot of sources that new ones from the factory are having issues. One guy even reported a M1A blowing up in his face. How many of you guys are happy with your new model Springfield (say made in the last 5 years) vs unhappy. My next option is a SCAR 17 or waiting forever on a Larue PredatOBR.
Pat
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 3:47:56 AM EDT
[#1]
m1a, FAL....I dn't think you could go wrong with either.

Personally I would some type of AR type for ease of adding optics lights etc...

DPMS, Armalite, RRA (FAL mags), CMMG... Good AR platforms.

I don't know what would make a springfield blow up in anyone's face except for bad ammo or a plugged barrel.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
m1a, FAL....I dn't think you could go wrong with either.

Personally I would some type of AR type for ease of adding optics lights etc...

DPMS, Armalite, RRA (FAL mags), CMMG... Good AR platforms.

I don't know what would make a springfield blow up in anyone's face except for bad ammo or a plugged barrel.

Apparently the cast hammer broke allowing the gun to fire out of battery.  I would like a PredatOBR but those are not going to be out for a while. A SCAR also looks interesting.
Pat
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]
My M1A is a national match and good to go!
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#4]
How long have you had it and how many round do you think you have put through it? One more quesiton what type of bench accuracy can I expect if I got one with match ammo. The web site says 1.5 moa not sure if thats accurate.
Pat
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an NM M1A, and it's a solid 1 MOA gun.

If I were starting fresh, though, I'd buy a .308 AR-pattern rifle. Probably a Mega MATEN.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 5:06:11 AM EDT
[#6]
There aren't too many guys using the M1A in Heavy.  Pat Kelley, Michael Fordyce, me....  Am I missing anyone???

It's not because there are better platforms- because there are not for HM irons, but they are definitely old school.  

Pat, you will probably get more personal experiences on the M1A forum under Armory at the regular AR15 site.

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I have decided to save up for a Scar 17.
Pat
Top Top