Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2012 12:11:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Sorry, there is too much "liberal political correctness" about those targets for my liking. I'll stick with IPSC Metric targets thanks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Sorry, there is too much "liberal political correctness" about those targets for my liking. I'll stick with IPSC Metric targets thanks.

same
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with the above.  The simplified targets won't appease the gun haters, nor will it make understanding scoring easier for those not associated with the sport.  Not a fan.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I like 'em. Does it make a difference what target we shoot?  I'm under the impression we are trying to be as accurate and fast as we can, and not concerned with what the actual target looks like.  Clay pigeons and steel plates aren't shaped like a person. I have shot at plenty of human like targets, real and paper.  I just want to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Are they scored the same? One center ring or two anywhere?
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, one in center (A) or two anywhere (B).  The corners, outside the 18" circle, do not score anything.

Link Posted: 4/12/2012 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like 'em. Does it make a difference what target we shoot?  I'm under the impression we are trying to be as accurate and fast as we can, and not concerned with what the actual target looks like.  Clay pigeons and steel plates aren't shaped like a person. I have shot at plenty of human like targets, real and paper.  I just want to shoot.

I think people are going to gripe because the sport started out as a representation of possible real life scenarios. I'm in agreement with that general principle.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah it used to be combat oriented back in the '80's.  Now it's clearly a sport about shooting fast and accurately.  Why else would I always hear "that $hit will get you killed on the street"?  Lol!!

The practical shooting sports have ALWAYS been rooted in armed combat, just like karate or other martial arts. The fact that they are more sport than training does not negate the importance of principles. I'm as much of an "it's a sport stupid" guys as anyone - I loath IDPA because it is so dull and prescriptive - but equally I see the value of the sport's martial heritage in attracting new participation, and in anchoring our match design to some basic guidelines. If we sacrifice all martial links, we will find our match designs going in all kinds of random directions that will not be good for the sport. These targets, which I suspect come from the PC mindset of the NBC network, are symbolic of this potentially negative trend. JMHO.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think people are going to gripe because the sport started out as a representation of possible real life scenarios. I'm in agreement with that general principle.

Yeah it used to be combat oriented back in the '80's.  Now it's clearly a sport about shooting fast and accurately.  Why else would I always hear "that $hit will get you killed on the street"?  Lol!!

The reactive targets are great for TV which is why they made a new target in the first place.  Plus bullseye targets ate universally recognized by people line my grandmother who is a huge fan of the show!  Check it out...

3 Gun Nation Pro Series Teaser

I watch online, I'm familiar with the show. I enjoy watching as often as it gets posted. Clays and plates aren't man-shaped, they are what I would include in the "technical" portions of stages. I, personally, would prefer keeping the man-shaped targets begin to white-wash the origins. and think that moving away from those kinds of targets is going to .

I'll keep watching either way. Hell I'm trying to get my wife ready for the local tactical rifle competition in August.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't shoot 3 gun to do anything but compete and I enjoy shooting.  So I guess always isn't always anymore:). There are a whole heck of a lot more people out there that have firearms at home that we can attract to the action shooting sports that aren't looking for a way to better use firearms for defensive purposes.  That's the crowd im in and the crowd I'm trying to bring into the SPORT.

I feel the same way - I enjoy 3-Gun as a sport and do not kid myself that it is any kind of tactical training. However, the martial origins of the sport make it much more interesting; they drive the "scenario based" stage designs that are different for every match (I find Bianchi Cup tiresome precisely because it is always the same); they drive the equipment rules (constraints in the "tactical" divisions clearly derive from combat-appropriate equipment); they drive the ammo (full powered centerfire vs. rimfire target ammo).

I am old enough to have seen other shooting sports go down the path of political correctness in the hope that it will somehow make the anti-gunners accept the sport. I immigrated to the US from the UK, where our own National Rifle Association threw pretty much all other shooting sports under the bus in the late 90s in order to save (for a short time anyway) their beloved single-shot bolt-action rifles for their own High Power discipline. Hell, you only have to look at how the Olympics have changed - disciplines that used to involve full-power centerfire guns have migrates over the decades to .22 short and (increasingly) airguns. With these changes. global governments have felt increasingly justified in ratcheting the restrictions on civilian access to firearms.

I can understand how top competitors might dream of growing the $$$ coming into the sport by making it more socially acceptable - who wouldn't like to be a full-time pro shooter. I just disagree that this is a good idea, and would hate to see 3-Gun going down the same path. You only have to look at IPSC President Nick Alexakos' vain attempts to get Practical Pistol accepted as an Olympic sport... after years of PC compromises, including the hideous IPSC Classic target that is now universal outside the US, we are no closer to Olympic respectability than we were when I shot my first match in 1983.

I like the sport of 3-Gun just fine the way it is and, given its current growth curve, I suspect many others feel the same way. Ultimately, the market will decide - if match directors feel the need to become more politically correct, and this makes their match more popular, then the sport will go that way. If folks prefer matches with traditional "humanoid" targets, then those will be more popular. We will see
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 5:43:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Very well said, Richard.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I am not concerned with what the targets look like, or what sort of political agenda anyone may have regarding these new targets.  All I know is that we may be facing targets like this at upcoming shoots, so I ordered 100 of them from MGM Targets because I hope to practice some live fire this year.  Whether the new targets will change the sport for the better or the worse remains to be seen.  I do know that the new targets used in 3GunNation sure make for more interesting viewing and I would like to think that the target design was based soley on that premise.

Oddly enough, my favorite targets to shoot in 3-gun are the MGM Spinner, MGM Flash targets, mini-poppers, clays, square steel plates on stands, and Texas Stars.  None of these look like human silhouettes either.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Our club plans on trying out the new targets for a few matches this year.

I can see why they went to the target they did for the Pro Series: It shows up much better on TV and of course there is the PC angle.

The cardboard targets are an attempt to standardize things a bit while still making them convenient for clubs and other matches.

Not sure I like the switch, but time will tell.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't shoot 3 gun to do anything but compete and I enjoy shooting.  So I guess always isn't always anymore:). There are a whole heck of a lot more people out there that have firearms at home that we can attract to the action shooting sports that aren't looking for a way to better use firearms for defensive purposes.  That's the crowd im in and the crowd I'm trying to bring into the SPORT.

I feel the same way - I enjoy 3-Gun as a sport and do not kid myself that it is any kind of tactical training. However, the martial origins of the sport make it much more interesting; they drive the "scenario based" stage designs that are different for every match (I find Bianchi Cup tiresome precisely because it is always the same); they drive the equipment rules (constraints in the "tactical" divisions clearly derive from combat-appropriate equipment); they drive the ammo (full powered centerfire vs. rimfire target ammo).

I am old enough to have seen other shooting sports go down the path of political correctness in the hope that it will somehow make the anti-gunners accept the sport. I immigrated to the US from the UK, where our own National Rifle Association threw pretty much all other shooting sports under the bus in the late 90s in order to save (for a short time anyway) their beloved single-shot bolt-action rifles for their own High Power discipline. Hell, you only have to look at how the Olympics have changed - disciplines that used to involve full-power centerfire guns have migrates over the decades to .22 short and (increasingly) airguns. With these changes. global governments have felt increasingly justified in ratcheting the restrictions on civilian access to firearms.

I can understand how top competitors might dream of growing the $$$ coming into the sport by making it more socially acceptable - who wouldn't like to be a full-time pro shooter. I just disagree that this is a good idea, and would hate to see 3-Gun going down the same path. You only have to look at IPSC President Nick Alexakos' vain attempts to get Practical Pistol accepted as an Olympic sport... after years of PC compromises, including the hideous IPSC Classic target that is now universal outside the US, we are no closer to Olympic respectability than we were when I shot my first match in 1983.

I like the sport of 3-Gun just fine the way it is and, given its current growth curve, I suspect many others feel the same way. Ultimately, the market will decide - if match directors feel the need to become more politically correct, and this makes their match more popular, then the sport will go that way. If folks prefer matches with traditional "humanoid" targets, then those will be more popular. We will see

One of the most eloquently written arguments I have ever read here. Very impressive sir.

As a guy who has been shooting for over 2 decades, but never competed, and just now starting to seriously look into 3 gun, I was quite discouraged reading this and other stuff indicating 3 gun may be bowing to PC, your points hit home.

If I find that is the case, I assure you I will look elsewhere or just keep doing what I'm doing. Sad when we think by watering down what we do, we might somehow gain approval from those whose only acceptable outcome is eradication of our 2nd amendment rights. Better to die on your feet than......
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#18]
FAIL
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#19]
That target needs an outside border.  At the Larue match I saw a guy on one of the teams successfully argue a "grease mark" on the very edge of the target was a hit.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top