Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2021 10:08:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bowers]
I am a primarily an archery hunter and, unfortunately, sold all of my hunting shotguns years ago.   I'm planning on hunting Turkey this year and am having a hard time finding a simple, suitable pump 12ga in the market.  

I do have a relatively cheap Winchester SXP defender 5 shot with a 20" barrel and F/o sights.  If it weren't for the cylinder bore, I think this would be great in the field for Turkey.  I've been debating getting it threaded for choke tubes, but not sure if this is a waste of time.   By the time I get it threaded, It will be about $150, plus choke tubes, another $100+/-.  I don't mind spending the money, but with the final result somewhat unknown, I am reluctant.   Looking for feedback:

Note  
- they do make field barrels that fit the SXP defender, but they are backordered until June/July 21.

- I have thought about buying a field barrel that fits the normal SXP, but it would need a sleeve of sorts to match up the shorter barrel ring with the mag tube cap.   I think this is above my skill set.

-still on the lookout for a decent new or used 500, 870, or even SXP field...

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:37:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Buckeye33] [#1]
I have a 20ga SXP defender.  The reason I got the 20 is because it was threaded for tubes. Any more I hunt almost everything with a 20 ga. It is a really nice shotgun. Well made and the SXP barrels throw good patterns from mine and others experience. A short barrel with tubes is a very versatile set up. I say get yours threaded. You can then use the gun for anything from SD to any type of hunting you want and a round of sporting clays is in the mix. If you have it threaded for the standard Invector and not the Invector Plus then you can also use Winchester and Mossburg choke tubes. All 3 of these are plentiful and cheap but they do work well. Your performance will depend on your mix of shells and tubes, but it will be good.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.   Very helpful reply.  

I think I’ll give it a shot.   I’d love to get my hands on a 20ga too.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I shoot turkey with my Benelli M2, 20”.  But I have the chokes for it.
Regardless, I have called my gobblers inside of 25 yds, a cylinder bore would have worked fine.   If you have the turkey loads to spare, see how it does on the range and figure out the max range.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:21:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: navvet89] [#5]
whatever you choose you'll need a "turkey extra full" choke on it so you can reach out there, I use a Mossberg 835 Ultimag turkey gun with fiber optic sites. Ported choke, ported barrel, etc are nice to have but not a must have. I shoot #4 Winchester Supreme turkey loads in 3" magnum.

eta: I've killed birds out to "48 steps" from where I was sitting and "doubled" (two birds with one shot) twice.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The barrel is off to get threaded.   I'll report back once I receive it back and can test some loads and chokes.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#7]
What choke pattern are you having it threaded for.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:48:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Top_prop] [#8]
If you don't have a choke on the gun... there is a solution that gives tighter patterns:   Federal Flight Control Wads.    Designed to give tight patterns and do it better without a choke.    I used to use them on deer when I hunted millitary bases that only allowed buckshot.    I had pie plate sized groups of 00 buck at 35yds out of a cylinder bore (ie no choke).

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/federal-premium-mag-shok-turkey-load-shotshells-with-flitecontrol

First thing that came up when I googled "Turkey  Federal Flight Control Wad"

Hope it helps you bag a nice Tom

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 4:00:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#9]
I picked up a Remington 21" Vent Rib matte finished barrel to pair with my 870 Police Magnum "Defense Gun"...

Swap barrels - go hunt - couldn't be much simpler or easier & dual purpose shotgun.   If I lost the 18.5" slug barrel & only shot the 21" Vent Rib, I'd feel just as good - very light, easy to swing, close enough for tight quarters & corners.  Wouldn't be ideal for shooting slugs at long range, but it is better for busting doves & quail in the air.

You need a VERY Tight "Turkey Choke" to bring a large number of heavy pellets to the head to reliably kill Turkeys at normal hunting ranges.   A TURKEY Choke is different from a WATERFOWL Choke (Steel Vs. Lead pellets & pellet sizes).

YOU NEED TO PATTER TEST YOUR GUN & BARREL USING THE LOAD YOU PLAN TO HUNT WITH.   Center of Pattern - Point Of Impact can very significantly even with identical shotguns taken off the assembly line.   Just like you would not hunt with a deer rifle without sighting it in, you should do the same with your shotgun & loads - the results can be eye opening & explain "unexplained misses"...

Good Luck & Good Hunting!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:12:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bowers] [#10]
Thanks again.   I don’t know what choke thread I will be using just yet.  The gunsmith, Comp-N-Choke, is measuring and will make a recommendation and we will go from there, including selecting a very tight full choke.    I’ll absolutely be patterning the gun before I hit the woods.   Unfortunately, that presents a new dilemma; ammo is scarce.  

I scrounged up a box of Winchester #4,  2 3/4” but I would like to get my hands on some more loads to find out what shoots best with the combo I end up with.  Hopefully, I am successful in finding ammo.  Otherwise, I may just end up hunting turkeys with my bow

ETA:  swapping barrels is the issue.   Finding a field barrel for this gun is a problem, which is why I am going this  more complicated but fun route.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had fantastic success w/ a Carlson's long beard XR choke paired with Winchester's long beard XR ammo (either 3" or 3.5").  

I hunt with a Benelli SBE with the 3.5" load as well as a Mossberg shockwave w/ the 3" load.  Both will place an incredible amount of pellets into a turkey head at 45 yards.

The long beard choke sells for around $40.  The ammo is not too expensive (when you can find it).
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Came to post Benelli M2.
View Quote

Chopped.  In 20 ga.

DSC_5312-Turkey SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

Turkey SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

Turkey M2 SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 9/9/2021 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy a variety of shells and try out what you have. I turkey hunted for the first time this past spring, my only shotgun is a benelli m4, I have a Carlson buckshot tube in it and I just shot different shells until I found one that patterned well and had a consistent POI with the buckshot so I didn’t have to make any adjustments on the red dot when switching between shells. Worked out very well but admittedly I have caught the turkey bug and want a shotgun specifically for it now. I have settled on the new Franchi affinity elite turkey.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:22:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bowers:
Thanks again.   I don’t know what choke thread I will be using just yet.  The gunsmith, Comp-N-Choke, is measuring and will make a recommendation and we will go from there, including selecting a very tight full choke.    I’ll absolutely be patterning the gun before I hit the woods.   Unfortunately, that presents a new dilemma; ammo is scarce.  

I scrounged up a box of Winchester #4,  2 3/4” but I would like to get my hands on some more loads to find out what shoots best with the combo I end up with.  Hopefully, I am successful in finding ammo.  Otherwise, I may just end up hunting turkeys with my bow

ETA:  swapping barrels is the issue.   Finding a field barrel for this gun is a problem, which is why I am going this  more complicated but fun route.
View Quote

@Bowers  

Any follow up?  I was able to score for my 870 riot gun a 21" rifle sighted choked barrel.  Came with a Turkey Xtra Full.  Even have a Rifle Choke tube for it.  That is my most used hunting barrel out of 4 that I have for it.

CD

Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#15]
@Combat_Diver

No turkey for me this year, but I'm likely going to buy a rifled choke (carlson or something similar) and see how well it shoots slugs.  With a full and turkey chokes, it patterned pretty well.  It's a nice handy shotgun now and I am glad I did it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top