Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2018 1:30:01 AM EDT
So we have some varmints around here I need to get rid of. In looking at my states regulations the only way to legally kill raccoon or Fox is to get a fur bearers license (hunting or trapping), then once I have that it's illegal to "waste" the fure. So that meen I basically have to skin em and sell the fur. From talking to a local he says taxidermist by the furs. How much can I expect to get paid?
What all do you have to do to the furs before selling them?
Who do you sell to?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:38:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Where is around here?
In Georgia we have seasons for fur bearing animals to take them anyway you want. To trap you must have a license.
Back when trapping was big bucks, you could sell them whole. But you would get more skinned.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#2]
It depends on the state, but around here there are furbuyers who travel around buying furs....but condition, size and color is everything.  I sell my furs on carcass or raw. I get less money, but I don't have to mess with fleshing, stretching, etc. You could finish them and sell them on the open market, but it's time consuming if you messed up, you get no money. That's not for beginners.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where is around here?
In Georgia we have seasons for fur bearing animals to take them anyway you want. To trap you must have a license.
Back when trapping was big bucks, you could sell them whole. But you would get more skinned.
View Quote
Oregon.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I was going to post SSS, but since this isn't GD...  

Does your state have provisions for killing nuisance/pest animals?  Indiana does, so racoons, skunks, ground hogs and such that are being destructive can legally be killed outside of any hunting/trapping season.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#5]
First off there is little to no money in fur right now, especially southern fur. Western coyote and cats, as well as northern fur like lynx, marten, wolverine and wolf still command decent prices. Your state trapping association will probably hold at least one or two fur sales, a small entrance fee and your fur will be put up for auction. if you do some research you might find a country buyer or one of the big companies who will meet you somewhere to buy what you have. You can often sell green or on the carcass this way.

If you go the fur auction route, whether you ship it to a big fur house like NAFA or go to a small auction you will have to skin, flesh, and stretch and dry the hides. Some animals like bobcat and fox are very easy, others like coyote, otter, and to a degree coons can pose a challenge. There’s a right and a wrong way to do each animal. Special equipment like a fleshing knife, beam and a wire or wooden stretcher are required.

I sell my biggest prettiest hides at auction and get the smaller or slightly blemished hides tanned and sell them to individuals. If you’re actually looking to make a dollars selling tanned fur to individuals is the best way to go.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you have further questions or want information on good tanneries.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First off there is little to no money in fur right now, especially southern fur. Western coyote and cats, as well as northern fur like lynx, marten, wolverine and wolf still command decent prices. Your state trapping association will probably hold at least one or two fur sales, a small entrance fee and your fur will be put up for auction. if you do some research you might find a country buyer or one of the big companies who will meet you somewhere to buy what you have. You can often sell green or on the carcass this way.

If you go the fur auction route, whether you ship it to a big fur house like NAFA or go to a small auction you will have to skin, flesh, and stretch and dry the hides. Some animals like bobcat and fox are very easy, others like coyote, otter, and to a degree coons can pose a challenge. There’s a right and a wrong way to do each animal. Special equipment like a fleshing knife, beam and a wire or wooden stretcher are required.

I sell my biggest prettiest hides at auction and get the smaller or slightly blemished hides tanned and sell them to individuals. If you’re actually looking to make a dollars selling tanned fur to individuals is the best way to go.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you have further questions or want information on good tanneries.
View Quote
Coontrapper, I tried to send you an email through the site. Hopefully it works!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top