Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2018 3:35:10 PM EDT
We were doing some antler shed hunting in a 4-6 acre area of my property that was heavily timbered about 6 years ago.  Area still has some tall trees, but it is heavy briars and small tree saplings and rotting brush and what not.  Impossible to get through in the summer, OK now wearing Carhartts, and good for finding antler sheds.

Anyway, what I did find were a couple of very active looking coyote den sites, and a crazy amount of coyote scat.  This area is open row crop fields on 3 sides, (N, S, E, and more open woods to the West).  I just have a couple rabbit distress mouth calls and plan to set up on some slightly higher ground.  A long shot would be 30 yards in this area.  I'm going to use my 20 gauge turkey gun that shoots a tight pattern with 3" #2 buck, and set up the wife with one of my AR's and 55 VMax loads.

This in an area where I arrowed a coyote last deer season, and had 2 more come in, one was very large, even for here in MI.  I've got trail cameras in nearby food plots and I get some nice videos of 2-3 coyotes running through at all hours.  I'm pretty certain of action, just curious as to how you guys would set up with 2 people.  Wind could be about any direction this time of year.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#1]
My buddy and I hunt a similar type area, but not in the thick of the trees.  One of the areas on our property offers good cover for them and there is a hay field adjacent to it.  We hunt the open terrain and set up so that we have almost 360 degrees of shooting lanes.  The dogs will travel a long ways on a call.  Get to where you can see them coming and take a rifle that can extend to as far as you can shoot.  Generally speaking, keep your eyes focused downwind because that is where they come from in our experience
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top