Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2012 1:01:46 PM EDT
My wife has 4 days off and I took the little on to grandpas house today. Went out and did a small muskrat and mink line this afternoon in a spot that no one traps.

This is better than Christmas, going in first thing in the morning with another load of 110's and really hammering the creeks. Hoping I get some fur tonight.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL, from what I've been hearing about early rats prices, you might want to hit them HARD!'
Local guy caught over 1,000 on the river here last year, in 28 days (no one will let you on their marsh until duck season ends)
Averaged a bit over $7 a pop, plus $3 per meat (we have a strong meat market here for rats)
Shaping up to be considerably better, but we all KNOW how fur prices go, LOL!

And here I been wearing myself out catching, carrying, skinning and FLESHING beavers for relative chump change!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I was told that good NY rats put up and sent to auction are bring 10 bucks a pop.

I wish I had a solid week or two to target them, our river is loaded and no one has any ambition.

I saw probably 20 on the last duck hunt, which means there is probably 10x more than that in the same area. I put a few pocket sets on the bank on my way out, if they produce I'll break out the stoploss traps and load up the banks with pockets.

I hiked all over hell today looking for beaver sign, all the damns are a few years old, no fresh runs and no brush getting chewed on, I don't know where they went.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 2:41:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I hiked all over hell today looking for beaver sign, all the damns are a few years old, no fresh runs and no brush getting chewed on, I don't know where they went.

LOL, we always want what we don't have. At this point, I'd LOVE access to lots of rats,as beavers are wearing me out.
I have a small spot WAY back in the woods where I take 5-10 beavers every year.
A buddy, who has never trapped beavers before, hit it this year.
He only has 2 330s.
Caught 2 the first night, 2 the second, 1 the third, 1 the fourth....
After the first night, and carrying out 2 in the mid-40#s (8/10s of a mile walk, each way), the fun come off a little for him.
Then he started fleshing......  

I think rat prices may go up a bit more, as the Dakotas, etc, usually big rat producers, were hit HARD by drought.
This is the year to hit them hard if you can.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 4:31:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Woke up to a snow storm, still waiting it out drinking coffee.

I'm glad I didn't put out any footholds.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:13:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Post pics please.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Nothing this morning, some of my cubbies got snowed right in last night. I pulled a few and moved most of them to the river into pocket sets for rats. Then moved the rest to bottom edge sets in some creek runs. Snowing way to hard to have cubby sets out, they will just freeze up on me.

I really want to get some mink, but the traps and time required can be a pain.

I should get some rats tonight, I took a whole new load out today and lined a bank where I have seen them with pocket sets. I went every other with a stoploss drowning set and 110, might even get a coon.

Then after all that work the county snow plow buried my truck on the side of the road and I had to shovel my way out.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top