Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2021 8:20:04 AM EDT
First landing state park in Va beach:

It has Chesapeake bay waterfront but if you want you can ride your bike on a 5 mile dirt trail through the park to the beach. If you got a small camper or tent there are many spots but if you have a 5th wheel it is limited with minimal back in space for most. The Web site does a poor job of describing what spots are good for larger campers. I will try to create a list of good large RV spots at this park as my last trip I made a map (can't locate it right now) of the good spots to reserve.

Go across that long expensive bridge north to Kiptopeak state park for a second half stay. great walk/bike trails. Chesapeake beach, boat ramp. Most RV rated sites are large but all back-ins. If you want more glamping then you will also pass a KOA.

Neither has sewer but has dump stations'
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Stony Fork campground near Wythville:

Nice campground with fairly private campsites. Some sites have water/electric hookups, but no sewer hookups. There is a dump station located across the road from the campground.

Water is available, and there are a couple of bathhouses. The hosts do a great job keeping them clean.

There is a mile long nature trail that starts and ends in the campground. It also leads to the 4.8 mile Seven Sisters trail, which a a nice hike that follows along the top of seven hills.

Aside from the hiking trails, there isn't squat to do at the campground, which means not very many kids. THAT is the reason we like this place so much

Big Walker Lookout is nearby, and a run to Walmart to get crap you forgot is about a 20 minute drive.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Cave Mountain Lake campground:

Near Natural Bridge Station.

I like this place, but it can get a bit noisy at night. The hosts don't do a very good job of enforcing quiet hours.

Water available in a few locations, but no water or electric hookups. There is a dump station.

Small lake that allows swimming. Hiking trails nearby, but I haven't done any of them.

Not too far from the James River, with some good stretches for paddling. Balcony Falls section is about 25 minutes away if you want some whitewater.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#3]
This is great info and these are easy destinations for me.  Thanks!

For private campgrounds, Walnut Hills in Staunton was nice.  There's been an ownership and management change. I'll scout and report.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Jellystone near Natural Bridge Station:

Unless you like camping on top of other people with screaming kids everywhere, stay somewhere else.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Grindstone on Mt. Rogers:

Hands down our favorite campground during the summer months. At 3700 feet in elevation, it's much cooler than other campgrounds.

Water and electric hookups are available.

Unfortunately, the campground is closed this year.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I also very much appreciate this.  I’m the only one in my family that like to camp, but I’ve had success with some “glamping” with them recently, so might be able to try
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The stanton walnut hills use to be a KOA
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Fairy Stone State Park on Philpott Lake:

Nice, well maintained campground. Not all campsites are reservable.

Good beach area with kayak rentals available.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The stanton walnut hills use to be a KOA
View Quote

True, it also used to be Good Sam.  It's recently been sold.  The owners were aging, and I believe it was more than their daughter was either able or willing to take on.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:46:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Good luck.   Might want to make reservations for 2023 now
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Shenandoah River state park and Pocahontas State park are awesome.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#12]
The Cove Campground
Gore, VA

This is a campground near Winchester.
The web site shows a range, freshwater swimming, are trails, etc.

Any first hand reports?
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Cove Campground
Gore, VA

This is a campground near Winchester.
The web site shows a range, freshwater swimming, are trails, etc.

Any first hand reports?
View Quote

I've been there a few times.
Privately owned so you can fish without a license, but it's catch and release.

There are two ponds 60 acres and I think 40 acres.

The range is pretty cool, steel targets, pistol, rifles, good to 100 yards. It's a rough drive up the hill to the range from the sites and ponds unless you have an ATV or truck. They have primitive sites, camper sites have water and electric, but you'll have to dump at their station or haul it out.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Just took a ride to check out the campground at Lake Robertson near Lexington.

Seemed like a nice campground. All sites have water/electricity. Dump station and bath house.

$35/night for RV camping, $30/night for tent.

Sign says alcohol not permitted, but I imagine it's fine as long as you're discreet.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Just left first Landing State Park. By far our fav campground. Kids love the beach and its calm enough for the little one to go in and not get too beaten up
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#16]
We enjoyed Hungry Mother SP.. and the main CG is right next to the lake, very easy access for getting the 'yaks in the water..
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#17]
The cabins at Westmoreland State Park have always been great to us, and they have some nice little trails too. We currently live down the road from Lake Anna, but have yet to do any camping there, only walking the dog around for an afternoon.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Just spent the weekend at Goose Point on Philpott Lake.

First time camping in the upper loop (Loop A). Sites were kind of small and close together. I was OK with my 19' trailer, but could see where getting anything over 25 feet or so in would be a challenge.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Just got home from spending the long weekend at Lake Robertson campground near Lexington.

Decent campground with an adjacent small lake for fishing/kayaking.

Bathhouse was clean.

$35/night for a camper. All sites have water and electric.

Campsites weren't leveled very well.

My main complaint is there is only one dump station for 54 sites. Folks were lined up big time this morning waiting to dump.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I have every other Friday off so the wife and I try to make out as much as we can.  We love VA state parks but.... recently we spent the weekend at Lake Anna State park.  

I was really kind of let down.  Most of the parks are well mowed and kept up.  Lake Anna was not so much.  Our site had grass growing up past my ankles IN THE GRAVEL PAD.  There were several sites that started off with one vehicle and maybe a couple and some kids.  Then by Sat night, that same site have 4 cars, 10 people plus kids and were really rowdy.  I mean vomit on the pavement rowdy.  

The area around the beach was packed, every tree had a hammock on it, beach was packed and the lifeguard was having trouble controlling everyone, to the point people were swimming off of the dock.  Bathroom was like a 95 truck stop bathroom.  We walked a trail down to the beach area first thing in the morning, It was packed like that at 9AM and it only got worse.  

In short, I think the park is over used and under staffed.  The rangers I saw were working hard but not enough to cover everything going on.  

In contrast we spent this past weekend we were at Powhatan State park and the experience was completely different.  Lots of kids playing and riding bikes but by 10 PM it was quiet time.  Grass cut, bathrooms cleaned 2 times a day.

I would think the state needs to allocate them some more funds.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I am going to be doing some dry camping at Graves mountain during their Apple festival. Great location if you are fine living on your gray/black tanks .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top