Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2020 10:10:54 PM EDT
I realize it is new, but does anyone have any real world experience with this??  The only thing I can find is federal touting their own stuff as the best thing since sliced bread, or other "reviews" kissing their behind.

Seems like it could, and should, be pretty good for killing game from up close, to as far away as you should be shooting at live animals.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#1]
These are a descendant of the Trophy Bonded Bearclaw lineage...

I have no first hand experience.  However, I strongly suspect they will be awesome.  Some bullets expand rapidly (Nosler Ballistic Tips, Hornady SST) however they don't hold together well at high speeds.  Some bullets hold together well at high speed (Barnes TTSX, other monolithics) but don't open well as slow speeds...

Recently manufacturers have made some huge improvements in bullets:  We now have bullets that will open well at low speed AND hold together well at high speed.  I think a lot of this is driven by the long range crowd:  That game uses high initial velocity cartridges for the most part (like 300 mags) and drives bullets fast.  Its possible to get a short range shot (meaning high impact speed) but often long shots are the norm (low speed impacts). This is a VERY tough set of criteria on bullets...

The monolithic rear half on these bullets combined with the bonded nature of the lead 'front half' is very reminiscent of the BearClaw heritage.  This is good to go.  Expect deep penetration and a bullet that largely holds together even under high speed impacts.   The bonding process often serves to 'soften' and anneal the bullet itself and results in a bullet that will expand at low speeds (which is pretty much how bullets like the Nosler Accubond LR get their low speed expansion).  Again, this should work well.  Its not really all that new an idea.  The hollow polymer tip?  I dunno.  That IS new.  Is it reliable?  time will tell....

I'll make what I consider to be a fairly well educated wild assed guess:  These will work decently well with regards to expansion at all advertised impact speeds.  None of what Federal is doing is all that cutting edge/new.  Will they be significantly more accurate?  Jury is out on that one.  The firearms industry is pretty free with its claims about sub MOA accuracy, most of which is pure snake oil salesmanship.  Federal's Trophy Bonded was a decent bullet with modest (mediocre?) accuracy in the limited testing I did.  Will this new descendant be significantly better? I dunno...

Here is the big issue:  Will all this gee-whiz super-duper bleeding-edge high tech wizardry actually make all that much of a difference?  Probably not, at least in most cases.  If you are loading 180 grain 308 Win loads in your Remington 700 and shooting whitetails at 128 yards as is often the case, these new $48/box Federal cartridges aren't going to kill deer any deader than the Labor Day Weekend promo $12.99 box of Winchester Power Points or Rem Corlokts.   No difference.  None.  Zip.  Nada. The common 20 or 24 inch barreled 308 to 30-06 never really pushes 150's or 180's fast enough to really ever need any sort of bonding in a bullet.   The Federal's MIGHT shoot a bit smaller group, but 1.5 Moa versus .5 MOA at 128 yards means the bullet is potentially "off" by a whopping 3/4 of an inch.  Your deer is still dead, tagged and freezer wrapped....

If you are shooting a very fast cartridge (3100, 3200 fps MV and up), the bonded nature of these might be useful on a close shot.  I shoot 160 Nosler Partitions at an honest 3003 FPS muzzle velocity out of a 280 Ackley Improved.  These expand VIOLENTLY up close. Some form of bonding or a partition is a decent idea at these speeds. The bonded nature of the these new Federals means less risk of bullet failure on a shot at 9 yards with your SuperDuper Magnum.    On the other hand, if I chose to shoot deer at 600 yards, the ability of these bullets to expand at low speeds means the long range performance of these new federals may be useful.

If you hunt with anything larger than a 6.5mm Creed/260 Rem and smaller than a 30-06 (including all the regular common cartridges like 7mm-08, 270, 280, 308 win etc) these new Federals are totally and absolutely unnecessary.  If you want to spend $50 on a box of twenty, have at it.  It won't hurt.  But you won't see much in terms of improved performance.  

If you are shooting a 7mm STW at elk 700 yards on a regular basis, these might be worth the money.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I been waiting for it to come out for my 6.5 PRC. I think it will be gtg.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Based on what little I have found, my assumptions were the same as yours.  But they are just that at this point.  I shot the TBBC for years out of a 7mm Rem Mag.  Plenty accurate for my use.  I have also killed a bunch of deer out of a 16" 308 using 150grn CoreLokt, and they did a darn fine job for whitetails out to 100ish yards.

I am going out west chasing Elk this fall, so distances may be more than we see in OH and PA. A friend of mine that is going (also a 7mm Rem Mag shooter) asked me about Terminal Ascent, so I started looking at it. Not a lot out there that I can find, other than what federal is saying.

I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel here, but the part about the bullet expanding and still performing up close and at slower speeds/longer range is what caught my eye.  

I can get it for a fair bit less than $50 a box, but boy do I miss the days of Federal Premium 7mm 160 grn Nosler Partitions for $13.95. box
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like we are channelling the same sort of "vibe" with this new load....

Western Elk, a big 7mm, I'd try theses new Feds.  But I'd also be quite willing to use an Accubond or the old school Nosler Partition.   My 280 AI isn't a 7mm STW, but its not a slow cartridge either.  I've gone to the 160 Nosler Partition.  In all fairness the NP isn't super streamlined.  At anything beyond 400 yards I'll see that low ballistic coefficient start to come into play.  But I need to be honest that its NOT a real issue for me....   400 yards is a loooong way, and I know my shooting skills under hunting conditions are such that 400 yards is a limit.  I don't need a 700 yards bullet because I have little confidence I can ethically take a 700 yard shot.    

I have no way to knowing with 100% confidence how these will perform, but the TBBC heritage leaves me feeling good about terminal performance.  My biggest concern is accuracy.  How will these damned things shoot?  There's only one way to find out....    IF you are planning a long range hunt, accuracy will be paramount.  Accubond, Interbond, Ascent, Swift Scirocco....   What ever shoots most accurately in your gun would be my take...  If its not anything out at extreme ranges, a Nosler Partition is always a good choice.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I have ZERO plans to shoot at a living critter beyond 400.  To each his own, but I am not into the ELR hunting scene....

Hell I would much prefer to kill one with my bow at 20 yards, but this is a rifle hunt.  I will likely be shooting accubonds or partitions, depending on which rifle I end up deciding on.  I am intrigued by this terminal ascent stuff but I am not sold on it, nor do I plan on changing rounds now.  But I will definitely keep an eye on it as it starts getting used,  and shoot some for myself in the future.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought some a couple months ago, I have not shot anything with them but they are very accurate. I plan to go hunting next season with those bullets, I am using a 308.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top