Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2020 10:52:12 PM EDT
Curious what light weight hunting optics people are using. I’m looking for something to put on top of my berrett fieldcraft. Would like to stay under 25 oz and Mil/Mil
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
1 OUNCE HEAVIER THAN YOU WANT

Maybe look at the VX-5 range of scopes also.

20OZ and MIL/MIL
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I just went with a Leupold VX3i LRP 4.5-14x50mm with TMR reticle for my hunting rifle.  20.3 oz and Mil/Mil

I was using a Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18 before that and the Leupold cut over 7 oz off my rifle.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Vortex Razor HD LH, not a mil/mil but I know my drops and I'm very happy with it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Vortex Razor HD LH, not a mil/mil but I know my drops and I'm very happy with it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277473/20200120_161154_jpg-1252157.JPG
View Quote
@BoxofRox

Do you know the rifle weight minus suppressor
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Im not trying to flame here.  Just trying to make an honest, well intended contribution....

There are a lot of fantastic optics.  With a 25 ounce limit you can easily find a great optic. However, I 'd argue that such a 20, 22, 25 ounce optic would be well suited to the typical 8, 9 lb precision rifle.

If you havent actually tried a 20+ ounce optic on a featherweight rifle like the fieldcraft, I would strongly urge you to run some form of mock up and 'try' the combination befire spending $1000.00+ on a heavy optic.  This is purely s personal observation but a 25 ounce scope on a sub 6lb rifle is a terrible idea:  the handling is all out of whack, super top heavy, and ill balanced.  Grab a short length of 1" iron pipe, sine threaded caps and some lead shot.  Mock up a 25 ounce dummy, and mount it to your barret.  Try before you buy....

Ive run a few lightweight rifles.  Im not super experienced but id be running 16 ounces MAX on a 5.5 lb rifle.  Ive got a Leupold VX6 2-12 and love it, but still looking for a lighter optic yet for a Fieldcraft.  I'd be MUCH happier with 12 ounces....

Im not saying anyone is 'wrong'.  Just suggesting you mock up the weight, mount it, abd handle the rifle with that much weight up top before making a big decision..  And 25 ounces isnt light weight.  Thats an absolute boat anchor by hunting rifle optic standards.. .
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Im not trying to flame here.  Just trying to make an honest, well intended contribution....

There are a lot of fantastic optics.  With a 25 ounce limit you can easily find a great optic. However, I 'd argue that such a 20, 22, 25 ounce optic would be well suited to the typical 8, 9 lb precision rifle.

If you havent actually tried a 20+ ounce optic on a featherweight rifle like the fieldcraft, I would strongly urge you to run some form of mock up and 'try' the combination befire spending $1000.00+ on a heavy optic.  This is purely s personal observation but a 25 ounce scope on a sub 6lb rifle is a terrible idea:  the handling is all out of whack, super top heavy, and ill balanced.  Grab a short length of 1" iron pipe, sine threaded caps and some lead shot.  Mock up a 25 ounce dummy, and mount it to your barret.  Try before you buy....

Ive run a few lightweight rifles.  Im not super experienced but id be running 16 ounces MAX on a 5.5 lb rifle.  Ive got a Leupold VX6 2-12 and love it, but still looking for a lighter optic yet for a Fieldcraft.  I'd be MUCH happier with 12 ounces....

Im not saying anyone is 'wrong'.  Just suggesting you mock up the weight, mount it, abd handle the rifle with that much weight up top before making a big decision..  And 25 ounces isnt light weight.  Thats an absolute boat anchor by hunting rifle optic standards.. .
View Quote
I set the weight limit to 25 oz due to the fact that most scopes that you can dial elevation with are not sub 16 oz. I’ve looked at the small and light scopes but they’re all lacking features I want.

I put my Leupold MK6 3-18 on it just to see what the weight was like and it isn’t bad. But I would prefer a lightweight optic. Not that the MK6 is that heavy. The rifle also wears my TBAC ultra 7. All together it weighed 7lbs 13oz. Minus scope and rings it was at 5lbs 15 oz.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#7]
What type of distances are you trying to get out of the rifle?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
600 yards max
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:09:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@BoxofRox

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@BoxofRox

Not right now, but I know with the buttstock pack, suppressor, and muzzle device it weighs 7lbs 4oz. I believe the can is 12oz, muzzle device is a few and pack is a few, so it's low 6lb range possibly. Crazy light setup and one of my most accurate rifles, factory 143 eldx Hornady ammo is a legit half moa, 2556fps in the first box of ammo, which gives an effective range of 550yds using an 1800fps floor.

With this setup I didn't feel the need to use dials, which I'm a huge fan of on all my other stuff, but I'm comfortable with using holdovers for this rifles purpose, which is an ultralight, mid range hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:27:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Curious what light weight hunting optics people are using. I’m looking for something to put on top of my berrett fieldcraft. Would like to stay under 25 oz and Mil/Mil
View Quote
Nikon FX1000
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I run an SWFA fixed 10X Mil/Mil on my .300 WM Tikka T3. 18.x ounces. It has been a great optic and excellent for the type of open terrain hunting I do in the western US.

Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
600 yards max
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
600 yards max
That’s a pretty long shot for a lightweight rifle
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
600 yards max
It is, but also very capable with an accurate rifle and a capable cartridge. My 18" Creedmoor with factory ammo stays above 1800fps out past 550yds, working on handloads now that will push it out to 600yds. Obviously pick your game size accordingly, and be proficient at those ranges, but it's possible.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:01:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
That’s why it’s max distance. And only in great conditions. But it’s definitely doable.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why? I shoot my t3x super lite a hell of a lot farther then that.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I copied him. Perfect scope for the job.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why? I shoot my t3x super lite a hell of a lot farther then that.
View Quote
Easterners don’t understand the terrain out west
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It is, but also very capable with an accurate rifle and a capable cartridge. My 18" Creedmoor with factory ammo stays above 1800fps out past 550yds, working on handloads now that will push it out to 600yds. Obviously pick your game size accordingly, and be proficient at those ranges, but it's possible.
View Quote
Theres a moose at 1400 yards.
RePp: give me my creed I'll stack that fur bag up.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Out to 600, I would go with something 'light', like a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42mm CDS-ZL2. Comes with coupon for free laser engraved custom elevation turret.

My mountain rifle is a Gen 1 R700 Ti 30-06 with an older  Leupold ultralight 2x7.  Thing is light as a feather, but kicks like a mule with fast 180 gr loads.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:41:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File

Nula in .284 WIN. With a Leupold vx3i 3.5x10x40mm B&C no CDS. Doesn't get much lighter than that.
You could argue that this rifle deserves much better glass, but I think it's perfect. With my chosen load, and a 200yard zero, the sub tensions are exactly 300 400 450 & 500 verified.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I wanted the same thing, and waited a long time but this year Leupold just came out with a Mil version of their VX5HD.
I got the VX5HD 3-15x42 Mil/Mil.
Covered windage turret, locking exposed elevation turret. 19 ounces.

Vortex also just came out with a Razor HD LHD 3-15 model which has very similar specs and Mil/Mil.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 1:42:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wanted the same thing, and waited a long time but this year Leupold just came out with a Mil version of their VX5HD.
I got the VX5HD 3-15x42 Mil/Mil.
Covered windage turret, locking exposed elevation turret. 19 ounces.

Vortex also just came out with a Razor HD LHD 3-15 model which has very similar specs and Mil/Mil.
View Quote
Very interested in that new Vortex, I have the HD LH and I've been wanting a mil reticle, might have to upgrade.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 6:49:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Very interested in that new Vortex, I have the HD LH and I've been wanting a mil reticle, might have to upgrade.
View Quote
I was excited until I saw the reticle and realized I gained nothing. I just want a Christmas tree reticle.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I was excited until I saw the reticle and realized I gained nothing. I just want a Christmas tree reticle.
View Quote
That was my one disappointment with both the new Leupold and the new vortex. Christmas tree is the best.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just make sure the wind isn't blowing when you're going to hunt, who would want to be outside when it's windy anyways.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just make sure the wind isn't blowing when you're going to hunt, who would want to be outside when it's windy anyways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually contacted leupold to see if their custom shop could put one of their Christmas tree Mil reticles in a VX5HD, but they said that all their Christmas tree reticles are FFP, so it wouldn’t work to drop one into a SFP scope.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#28]
The NF NXS 2.5-10x42 fits the Fieldcraft excellent for only 20oz.
I also tried the NX8 1-8x24 at 17oz on my Fieldcraft and it was very fast using 1x in thick woods and the 8x wasn't limiting at my max range of about 500 yards with the .308.
Ultimately though, I ended up with the NX8 2.5-20x50 at 28oz because it had the best glass, especially in low light, and the extra 1/2 pound was worth it to be able to have twice the top end magnification to use for spotting at longer ranges. It also helped balance out the can at the end of the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Kahles has some really nice scopes for Mountain hunting and They are ultra light. The 4-12x44i with a 1 inch tube weights 16.9 Oz!! It comes with the standard german IV reticle and It can be illuminated.

I have one which is literally new and i am selling It at a ridiculous price right now

@Rex_Allen
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Id go Leupold, they're bulletproof and lightweight. ive banged the hell out of mine on my mountain rifle and its always held zero
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top