Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/4/2020 6:14:03 PM EDT
Ive been looking for my "last" rifle ill purchase.  I own several rifles, mostly in 308.  It has done everything I have ever wanted, but Im looking for bigger.

I would like it to be able to take elk and moose out to 400-500 yards.

I have been looking at the Christensen Mesa in 300win mag.  I have shot 300 win mag in a older savage model that had some weight to it and about 3 shots on the bench was more than enough for me.
Im slightly recoil sensitive and think that the weight of the Mesa will not be kind to me in 300 win mag.

I would like to keep the rifle at the 1000 dollar mark

What say ye?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
300 Norma is a little much and out of my price I do believe.  Only 2 major manufacturers...appears to be a awesome round though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#3]
300 win is a classic round.  Nothing wrong with it at all.

I would say if that's the round you want then get it.  Having what you want is the best feeling.

there is always a bigger badder cartridge out there.  300NM, 300RUM, 300RUM imp., 300AM, etc....

you will never win the biggest cartridge competition so just pick something you want and if it's a bigger 30cal than a 308 so be it.

Some of the 7mms are nice also if your more sensitive.  7mm RM, 28 Nosler, Hornady has one or two also.. the LRM and something else I think...
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I really enjoy 300 WM.  Get a faster twist barrel and you can really stretch it's legs with some of the 200 and 220 grain pills out there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#5]
280 AI.

Not bigger, but will take down anything in North America. It's the ultimate hunting round imo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, Remington 700 Long range in 300rum....they are on sale all the time for 6 bills, they shoot Moa or better, and the rum will give you everything you need to kill the biggest animals...Our group have bought 4-5 long range rifles the last couple years, worse shooter in the bunch shoots 1 MOA...
As for recoil, have it threaded for a brake or put a limb saver and a mercury tube in the stock...A quality brake will make it recoil like a .243 or smoother light caliber....

My boys long range in 300rum next to my custom 700 in 300rum....

Attachment Attached File

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-long-range
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:39:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Does the Remington Long Range have a raised cheek on the side of the butt stock?

300 RUM may fit the bill.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#8]
If your self limited on 4-500 yards what will a different caliber gain for you? 308 has in the neighborhood of 1400 foot pounds at that distance. Thats still plenty of oomph to kill anything.
I get wanting a new caliber but the more I look at hunting calibers the more I am willing to wait to purchase something like a 300wm (as mentioned) or 300 PRC. But thats so I can ethically take game at 800-1000 yards.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does the Remington Long Range have a raised cheek on the side of the butt stock?

300 RUM may fit the bill.
View Quote
It has a small raise cheek rest...Easy enough to add a padded rest though...It is a Bell & Carlson M-40 stock, complete with an aluminum bedding block....
Attachment Attached File

Quoted:
If your self limited on 4-500 yards what will a different caliber gain for you? 308 has in the neighborhood of 1400 foot pounds at that distance. Thats still plenty of oomph to kill anything.
I get wanting a new caliber but the more I look at hunting calibers the more I am willing to wait to purchase something like a 300wm (as mentioned) or 300 PRC. But thats so I can ethically take game at 800-1000 yards.
View Quote
I personally wouldn't take a shot past 2-300 yards with a .308, especially on a moose or bear...
I have shot a moose with my rum at 720 yards, using the 230 grain Berger Hybrid Target....I have shot many other animals out past 600 yards as well over the years..from caribou, wolves to grizzly....
Here is the numbers for my 300rum load...its a bit hotter then we get out of the "stock" rums, but they all run with in 150 fps of it...230 Berger H/T, RL-33, RP brass, 9.5RP primer....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Those RUM ballistics are crazy. Whats barrel life on that?

Anyways, I would shoot any non-dangerous game in America with confidence at 500 yards with my 308. Deer, elk, bear, and antelope have all fallen easily with no second shot ever required. This would be my absoloute limit for moose. Elk and below would allow me the comfort all the way to around 650 to 700 with the right presentation of vitals.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those RUM ballistics are crazy. Whats barrel life on that?

Anyways, I would shoot any non-dangerous game in America with confidence at 500 yards with my 308. Deer, elk, bear, and antelope have all fallen easily with no second shot ever required. This would be my absoloute limit for moose. Elk and below would allow me the comfort all the way to around 650 to 700 with the right presentation of vitals.
View Quote
The factory barrel went 1500 rounds sub MOA, it went to 2500 rounds sub 1.5MOA, and it got pulled at 3500 rounds..the Bartlein on there now has 850 rounds on it, I expect it to do better then the stock barrel, but one never knows....So much of barrel life has to do with how you treat it...I am very careful with chamber heat...In our group though we have had 5 guys shooting rums..Mine is the oldest from 1999(year put on market) and I shoot mine more than any of the others by a long shot, the rest all have less then a 1000 rounds and all are still going strong....Yeah, the boy tried a .308 on a grizzly bear in our stand...afterwards he decided the rum was the proper choice for the really big stuff...the 308 can work, it will kill, but it narrows that acceptable shot window so much that its much easier to get into a uh-oh spot...easier to just take the big boys out with the big toys...
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are recoil sensitive get a brake. Any of the standard magnum calibers will easily do what you want. 7mm, 300, 338 win mag are all fine. Honestly just about about any of the bigger cases will work including  all the short mags.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Good information.
It sounds like whatever caliber I go with a muzzle brake will tame the recoil of the magnums.

Looking at the Browning models, how do they do with their brake?  or is it better to get a aftermarket brake?
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you are recoil sensitive get a brake. Any of the standard magnum calibers will easily do what you want. 7mm, 300, 338 win mag are all fine. Honestly just about about any of the bigger cases will work including  all the short mags.
View Quote
I have a nineties vintage model 70 synthetic stainless supergrade with a Boss unit on it.  The .300 win mag braked is comparable to a .30-06 or .308 without a brake.   The blast noise is of course there in all its charm.  I keep earplugs in my coat pockets and take the time to use them.  I do this with all rifles but the Boss got that started.

Even with its Tupperware stock it is a sub Moa rifle, the Boss unit tunes the vibration.  It makes a difference.  I have forgotten to change the Boss setting when changing bullet weights and the tuner works.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#15]
The browning brake is a solid brake.  You can probably find a couple that are more efficient but I certainly wouldn’t swap one out.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#16]
@AKSnowRider

I always see you talking about the 300 RUM in various threads, but I've never bothered to really look too deep into the round.  But man, those numbers you posted are nuts.  Now I'm really interested in that round...  That thing is bending my 338 Lapua over and spanking it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@AKSnowRider

I always see you talking about the 300 RUM in various threads, but I've never bothered to really look too deep into the round.  But man, those numbers you posted are nuts.  Now I'm really interested in that round...  That thing is bending my 338 Lapua over and spanking it.
View Quote
@Zeebz
Look up the data for a 338 edge...it is based on the 300rum case sized up to 338.....The data I posted above is for the Berger 230 grain hybrid target, out of my 28" bartlein barrel, it only goes up from there with some of the new bullets like the A-tip.....I talk about the rum because it fills the needs so well for so many things...The rifles are inexpensive, many makers offer rifles.. It is an inherently accurate round, it is extremely easy to load for, there are tons of bullet choices to fulfill any need you can think of...And many, many makers make brass, from inexpensive but pretty good quality brass(RP is a buck a case thru midway when it comes in stock), all the way to ADG, Bertram, or Norma for 3 buck a round top brass and many more in between....Nosler, Hornady, and several others.....My current load, even at Alaska prices(shipping is expensive, and we can't ship powder or primer) runs about  $1.10 a round with my brass....Thats loading the 230 berger, 99 grains of RL-33, with a 9.5 RP magnum primer...Pretty hard to beat price wise....But its no free ride...if you like to shoot max rounds in a short time..you will consume barrels, even more so then any of the big magnums are known for....I expect 1500-2500 sub MOA rounds out of this barrel, but I am very careful about barrel temps...Some guys cannot get but a couple hundred rounds out of a barrel...It can be hard on brass, especially primer pockets, but my current batch has cases with 14 loadings...But I reload for it a bit different then most...Realistically, there are a bunch of 30 cal magnums out there that can all run the big numbers, just a matter of what fits your needs...When I decided on the rum I was at the LGS in 1999 to buy a 30-378 Weatherby..luckily they had just received a couple of these rums and I had both to look at...the price of the rifle and factory loads sent me home with the rum...been very happy with it ever since.......
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I went with a 2019 shot show Browning Xbolt suppressor ready model in 300 win mag
https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/x-bolt/limited-availability/x-bolt-stalker-a-tacs-au-suppressor-ready.html

I don't reload, so I like all the ammo options I have with the win mag and availability.
Ive always liked browning and the 2019 shot show items are on sale now at most places making room for 2020.

Thanks for all the responses!

Now to start planning a Elk or Moose hunt.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#19]
300 win mag
300 rum
28 nosler

If I had to choose one, it would still be the R.U.M. Not much experience yet with the 28 nosler, but I am playing with two and pretty impressed so far,
very much like a larger 6.5 creedmooor. I probably would have skipped the win mag all together If I was starting over, but mine makes a great target rifle and is very accurate. it is now just a target rifle. The rum is light and has been my hunting rifle the last few for Elk & African game.  The 28 may replace it, just too soon to know yet. One has a custom chamber and really hoping for a 205gr hunting bullet to arrive in 7mm
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I went with a 2019 shot show Browning Xbolt suppressor ready model in 300 win mag
https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/x-bolt/limited-availability/x-bolt-stalker-a-tacs-au-suppressor-ready.html

I don't reload, so I like all the ammo options I have with the win mag and availability.
Ive always liked browning and the 2019 shot show items are on sale now at most places making room for 2020.

Thanks for all the responses!

Now to start planning a Elk or Moose hunt.
View Quote
Glad you got what you wanted Op..300wm is a great round, especially if you are using factory ammo..hope it serves you good...
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ive been looking for my "last" rifle ill purchase.  I own several rifles, mostly in 308.  It has done everything I have ever wanted, but Im looking for bigger.
I would like it to be able to take elk and moose out to 400-500 yards
View Quote
Wow, got in late on this thread, but ....

If that's going to be your maximum shooting/hunting distance, forget the magnumitis fantasy and just buy a rifle chambered in .308 or .30-06.

Either cartridge is easily accurate out to 500yds (once called the 'Rifleman's Quarter-Mile') and either cartridge, with bullets of the proper weight, will ethically kill elk and moose at that distance. (Dirty little secret: elk & moose ain't that hard to kill. The key to that secret is called ... - wait for it -  ... shot-placement. ).

Plus, all the handloading data to yield optimum accuracy was developed for both cartridges decades ago. You only need to open a reloading book of whatever bulletmaker's bullets you'll be hunting or shooting with,  pick a load, dail it in at the range, and go.

Easy-peasy. Leave the magnumitis fantasies to the Gun Rag scribes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If that's going to be your maximum shooting/hunting distance, forget the magnumitis fantasy and just buy a rifle chambered in .308 or .30-06.

Either cartridge is easily accurate out to 500yds (once called the 'Rifleman's Quarter-Mile') and either cartridge, with bullets of the proper weight, will ethically kill elk and moose at that distance. (Dirty little secret: elk & moose ain't that hard to kill. The key to that secret is called ... - wait for it -  ... shot-placement. ).

Plus, all the handloading data to yield optimum accuracy was developed for both cartridges decades ago. You only need to open a reloading book of whatever bulletmaker's bullets you'll be hunting or shooting with,  pick a load, dail it in at the range, and go.

View Quote
Meh, If you want a magnum rifle OP, get one...I've never killed a moose/bear/caribou or any large game animal and thought..damn I have to get a wimpier cartridge this magnum just won't work.....And we kill a lot of large game animals....

This is an interesting poll by  an alaskan magazine...If you have to be in brown/grizzly country most think 300wm is the minimum..And I agree unless you are never alone and everyone is packing and can shoot good...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Meh, If you want a magnum rifle OP, get one...I've never killed a moose/bear/caribou or any large game animal and thought..damn I have to get a wimpier cartridge this magnum just won't work.....And we kill a lot of large game animals....

This is an interesting poll by  an alaskan magazine...If you have to be in brown/grizzly country most think 300wm is the minimum..And I agree unless you are never alone and everyone is packing and can shoot good...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screen_Shot_2020-01-12_at_3_34_07_PM_png-1231920.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screen_Shot_2020-01-12_at_3_34_07_PM_png-1231920.JPG
Ah meh bleh.   ... Polls don't tell the whole story ...

Folks in Alaska should look back about 60+ years at their history with hunting rifles, especially in bear country.

The next logical step up from the .30-06 for more ummmph! and smack-down ('killing power') on the big bears and such was to a larger .35-cal bullet, not a 'magnumized' Super .30 - like a 300 H&H, 300WM, or 300WB - which, while fast, still use the same bullets as the '06.

For those who couldn't afford the larger magnum action of a .375 H&H, the simplest and most cost-effective solution was to buy or build the 'Poor Man's Magnum,' i.e., a .35 Whelen.

Being nothing more than a .30-06 necked up to .35-caliber, a rifle in .35W could be had for the cost of a simple re-boring job on an existing '06 barrel or barreled action.  Then you could put .35-diameter bullets weighing from 200gns to 300gns into big critters from a rifle of the same size & weight as your '06. The big Whelen was highly recommended for AK bruins over the .30-06 by none other than Elmer Keith.

If I didn't already have a .375 H&H and was living in AK, I'd have a rifle chambered in .35Whelen, with a low-powered scope and sturdy back-up iron sights ... Especially sweet would be finding a 35W built on a CRF Mauser action, like sporterized 1903 or a pre-64 Winchester. A CZ 550 in '06, re-barreled or re-bored to .35W, would work fine too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Folks in Alaska should look back about 60+ years at their history with hunting rifles, especially in bear country.

The next logical step up from the .30-06 for more ummmph! and smack-down ('killing power') on the big bears and such was to a larger .35-cal bullet, not a 'magnumized' Super .30 - like a 300 H&H, 300WM, or 300WB - which, while fast, still use the same bullets as the '06.

For those who couldn't afford the larger magnum action of a .375 H&H, the simplest and most cost-effective solution was to buy or build the 'Poor Man's Magnum,' i.e., a .35 Whelen.

Being nothing more than a .30-06 necked up to .35-caliber, a rifle in .35W could be had for the cost of a simple re-boring job on an existing '06 barrel or barreled action.  Then you could put .35-diameter bullets weighing from 200gns to 300gns into big critters from a rifle of the same size & weight as your '06. The big Whelen was highly recommended for AK bruins over the .30-06 by none other than Elmer Keith.

If I didn't already have a .375 H&H and was living in AK, I'd have a rifle chambered in .35Whelen, with a low-powered scope and sturdy back-up iron sights ... Especially sweet would be finding a 35W built on a CRF Mauser action, like sporterized 1903 or a pre-64 Winchester. A CZ 550 in '06, re-barreled or re-bored to .35W, would work fine too.
View Quote
Why does it bother you so much that people pick a different caliber than you? You ever think that maybe some of us have tried many of these different calibers over the years and currently use what we feel best handles the job we face out in the real wilds of Alaska against actual animals? OP, buy what you want, learn to master shooting it..
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I have been finding that I really don't much like magnum calibers.  I've owend several.  And I really don't believe in the need for a magnum cartridge for shooting bigger game, even at the ranges you mention.  This is especially true with the current availability of some really good bullets with high BC's....

My choice?:  a 280 Ackley Improved.  I know other has mentioned it.  Mine is launching 160 grain Nosler partitions at an honest choreographed average of 3003 fps.  The partition gives me everything I need.  At 400+ I'd switch to an Accubond....  This combination is entirely sufficient on any North American hoofed game, and does so with modest recoil and powder charges.

If you don't want to mess with a relatively rare cartridge, then the choice is simple". Good old fashioned vanilla unsophisticated 30-06.....
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Why does it bother you so much that people pick a different caliber than you? You ever think that maybe some of us have tried many of these different calibers over the years and currently use what we feel best handles the job we face out in the real wilds of Alaska against actual animals? OP, buy what you want, learn to master shooting it..
View Quote
I stopped reading and realized he didn't really know what he was talking about when he said .308 could ethically be used for elk at 500 yards.  I know people that hunt elk and they always talk about how tough elk are.  Hell, when you read about elk hunting most people say that you want larger calibers like 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, etc.  I almost never see .308 mentioned.  The few times I have they seldom recommend it past like 250 yards.  But I guess if you're the second coming of Carlos Hathcock you can ethically take elk at 500 yards with a 308

Next he'll be telling us it's alright to hunt elephant with black powder rifles because hunters got by doing it in the 1800s.  Gotta "look back at their hunting history."
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
So did you spend much time in Alaska? I was born and raised and can count the number of 35 Whelen guns I cam across on one hand one of which was a pre64 that never ran right. The big three bear rounds from when I was coming up were 300WM, 338WM, and 375 H&H mag. Almost all the guys that I considered serious hunters used 338’s while the bulk of hunters in general used 300s for everything from deer up. 45-70 guide guns were becoming pretty damn popular and still are but it’s hard to beat out the win mags when they’ve been around for multiple generations at this point.

I understand what you’re saying about the Whelen but in places like Alaska most people care more about being to find ammo on the shelf rather than the theoretical best choice.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So did you spend much time in Alaska? I was born and raised and can count the number of 35 Whelen guns I cam across on one hand one of which was a pre64 that never ran right. The big three bear rounds from when I was coming up were 300WM, 338WM, and 375 H&H mag. Almost all the guys that I considered serious hunters used 338’s while the bulk of hunters in general used 300s for everything from deer up. 45-70 guide guns were becoming pretty damn popular and still are but it’s hard to beat out the win mags when they’ve been around for multiple generations at this point.

I understand what you’re saying about the Whelen but in places like Alaska most people care more about being to find ammo on the shelf rather than the theoretical best choice.
View Quote
Craig Boddington wrote an article a while back about the great bears.  He pretty much said exactly what you did.  He said 300 Win Mag would work, but wasn't the most ideal caliber.  The two workhorses for him were the 338 Win Mag and 375 H&H, and he mentioned the 338 was an especially good performer on big bears.  And finally he capped it off by saying you could use a 416 Rem Mag or Rigby if you wanted a true charge stopping beast of a gun, but they tend to be a bit overkill for even the largest bears.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Craig Boddington wrote an article a while back about the great bears.  He pretty much said exactly what you did.  He said 300 Win Mag would work, but wasn't the most ideal caliber.  The two workhorses for him were the 338 Win Mag and 375 H&H, and he mentioned the 338 was an especially good performer on big bears.  And finally he capped it off by saying you could use a 416 Rem Mag or Rigby if you wanted a true charge stopping beast of a gun, but they tend to be a bit overkill for even the largest bears.
View Quote
I have a friend who spent most of his adult life on Kodiak guiding hunters for record book Kodiak bears..His choice of one shot bear stopper after years of trying all sorts of calibers..505 Gibbs...He says nothing smaller came close to stopping a big pissed off bear at touch distance better...this is a guide who specialized in taking bow hunters into the 10 foot tall grass for big bears...Bad ass dude...
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have a friend who spent most of his adult life on Kodiak guiding hunters for record book Kodiak bears..His choice of one shot bear stopper after years of trying all sorts of calibers..505 Gibbs...He says nothing smaller came close to stopping a big pissed off bear at touch distance better...this is a guide who specialized in taking bow hunters into the 10 foot tall grass for big bears...Bad ass dude...
View Quote
I had a cool set of guns from an old hunter matching Remington 700’s one in 375h&h and one in 458 win mag. He hunted with the 375 but if he had to track one he grabbed the 458. They were total old school BDL looking guns with heavy barrels and he had them magnaported.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#32]
7MM STW

Recoil isn’t as stout as a 300WM and still knocks the crap out of stuff.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
7MM STW

Recoil isn’t as stout as a 300WM and still knocks the crap out of stuff.
View Quote
It is a good round, my brother has one, used it for years...The most used cartridge I have seen is 338wm,more common 20 years ago then today... In our current group, 300rum is most used, but we have everything from 30-06 to 375H&H...one of the women shoots the 30-06, another shoots 300wm..both have had zero issues taking my 300rum out to 1500 plus yards with me coaching them....
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Gibbs must be a nasty round to shoot.  I'm a recoil junkie but my limit was shooting an unbraked 458 Lott.  My 416 Rem Mag, alternatively, doesn't kick that bad.  The Lott was absolutely ferocious, though.  I can't imagine the Gibbs.  I shot a 460 Weatherby Mag too, but it had a brake on it so the recoil wasn't much worse than a 30-06.  A guy took off the brake and shot it after I did, and the recoil almost knocked him on his ass and it sheared off the bipod from the bottom of the gun.  It was cool to shoot with the brake on, but I wasn't going to try it with it off after seeing that.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The Gibbs must be a nasty round to shoot.  I'm a recoil junkie but my limit was shooting an unbraked 458 Lott.  My 416 Rem Mag, alternatively, doesn't kick that bad.  The Lott was absolutely ferocious, though.  I can't imagine the Gibbs.  I shot a 460 Weatherby Mag too, but it had a brake on it so the recoil wasn't much worse than a 30-06.  A guy took off the brake and shot it after I did, and the recoil almost knocked him on his ass and it sheared off the bipod from the bottom of the gun.  It was cool to shoot with the brake on, but I wasn't going to try it with it off after seeing that.
View Quote
It is, I was with him at the range one day, and he was shooting it, wanted me to try it, I watched him, a 210 pound guy work to shoot the damn thin(which he could), watched his other buddy a 190-195 pd guy shoot it and just about fall down, and immediately give the rifle back, and then it was my turn...Nope, my 160 pound ass was not gonna pull the trigger on that thing without a big bear in front of me.......I never did shoot it....but it's one impressive rifle/cartridge......
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I stopped reading and realized he didn't really know what he was talking about when he said .308 could ethically be used for elk at 500 yards.  I know people that hunt elk and they always talk about how tough elk are.  Hell, when you read about elk hunting most people say that you want larger calibers like 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, etc.  I almost never see .308 mentioned.  The few times I have they seldom recommend it past like 250 yards.  But I guess if you're the second coming of Carlos Hathcock you can ethically take elk at 500 yards with a 308

Next he'll be telling us it's alright to hunt elephant with black powder rifles because hunters got by doing it in the 1800s.  Gotta "look back at their hunting history."
View Quote
As someone thats stacked up and seen alot of stacked up elk 308 is absolutely fine for killing elk at 500. Cool thing about a life time of first hand knowledge you dont have to take other peoples word for it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
As someone thats stacked up and seen alot of stacked up elk 308 is absolutely fine for killing elk at 500. Cool thing about a life time of first hand knowledge you dont have to take other peoples word for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite true.

For hunting the lower 48, the .308 loads with the premium 180gn bullets will get the job done on the bigger critters, all without needing any magnun-itis attached.

I have an old BRNO 602 in 375 H&H, so if I hunted Africa, that's what I'd take. For all my lower 48 big game hunting, my Granddad's early ('pre-war') Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 will do it for me: elk, black bear, hogs, or midwest deer. I handload for it and it's taken all of those.

For Alaska, though, I think I'd leave the BRNO at home and build, or borrow, a rifle in .35 Whelen. Heck, Ruger's even got their No.1 S model chambered for the Whelen this year, although I personally prefer a CRF magazine rifle for dangerous game like Brown bears.

Yeppers, taking a .35 Whelen up to AK would pay a double benefit. The cartridge is a proven stone cold killer on moose and the big bruins, ... and the local yokels might actually learn something useful about their 'hunting history,' as described early.

Even simpler: just read Elmer Keith's classic, Big Game Rifles & Cartridges, where he lays it all out ... By the way, that's a book, not a YouTube channel.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quite true.

For hunting the lower 48, the .308 loads with the premium 180gn bullets will get the job done on the bigger critters, all without needing any magnun-itis attached.

I have an old BRNO 602 in 375 H&H, so if I hunted Africa, that's what I'd take. For all my lower 48 big game hunting, my Granddad's early ('pre-war') Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 will do it for me: elk, black bear, hogs, or midwest deer. I handload for it and it's taken all of those.

For Alaska, though, I think I'd leave the BRNO at home and build, or borrow, a rifle in .35 Whelen. Heck, Ruger's even got their No.1 S model chambered for the Whelen this year, although I personally prefer a CRF magazine rifle for dangerous game like Brown bears.

Yeppers, taking a .35 Whelen up to AK would pay a double benefit. The cartridge is a proven stone cold killer on moose and the big bruins, ... and the local yokels might actually learn something useful about their 'hunting history,' as described early.

Even simpler, is just to read Elmer Keith's classic, Big Game Rifles & Cartridges, where he lays it all out ... By the way, that's a book, not a YouTube channel.
View Quote
, Do you really think anyone gives a shit what caliber you hunt with besides yourself?...I promise you nobody in Alaska will care except maybe the F&G cop who wants to make sure you are using minimum caliber and that your tags and license are all in order...If you truly want to represent the past, why aren't you slinging 30/30 or even black powder weapons..you know, because you boys have decided nobody ever needs a magnum cartridge...The butthurt over the cartridge another man chooses....
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

, Do you really think anyone gives a shit what caliber you hunt with besides yourself?...I promise you nobody in Alaska will care except maybe the F&G cop who wants to make sure you are using minimum caliber and that your tags and license are all in order...If you truly want to represent the past, why aren't you slinging 30/30 or even black powder weapons..you know, because you boys have decided nobody ever needs a magnum cartridge...The butthurt over the cartridge another man chooses....
View Quote
Yet here we are recommending 300 rums to a guy who openly admits being recoil sensitive.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Is AKsnowrider here yet?  If not I’ll say it. 300 RUM
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yet here we are recommending 300 rums to a guy who openly admits being recoil sensitive.
View Quote
Well, considering I have had first time shooters from 12 years old to 90 pound women shooting it out as far as 2000 yards without issue, yeah, I have no problem recommending him a rum, especially since he is already looking at a 300wm...The recoil difference between a 300wm and a rum is minimum at best but the rum will be more effective at every distance...With every weight of bullet, plus it allows him to actually run the best LR bullets with out issue...the 230's the new 250's, the Berger 245's when they get released...Yeah not one issue with recommending the 300rum over the smaller 300's...
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Well, considering I have had first time shooters from 12 years old to 90 pound women shooting it out as far as 2000 yards without issue, yeah, I have no problem recommending him a rum, especially since he is already looking at a 300wm...The recoil difference between a 300wm and a rum is minimum at best but the rum will be more effective at every distance...With every weight of bullet, plus it allows him to actually run the best LR bullets with out issue...the 230's the new 250's, the Berger 245's when they get released...Yeah not one issue with recommending the 300rum over the smaller 300's...
View Quote
How many times have you had to pack a boat anchor of a rifle? If were talking a 25 pound rifle with break from a vehicle hell ya I mean why not. Cant say I've ever seen an elk hunt where that's really happening. Granted I know someone could ask what gun to get to shoot squirrels in the back yard and you would without fail pimp your 300 rum in the exact configuration. Unfortunately that's not always the answer. If you want a long range setup from a bench or vehicle absolutely, if you have to do anything else maybe consider other options.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How many times have you had to pack a boat anchor of a rifle? If were talking a 25 pound rifle with break from a vehicle hell ya I mean why not. Cant say I've ever seen an elk hunt where that's really happening. Granted I know someone could ask what gun to get to shoot squirrels in the back yard and you would without fail pimp your 300 rum in the exact configuration. Unfortunately that's not always the answer. If you want a long range setup from a bench or vehicle absolutely, if you have to do anything else maybe consider other options.
View Quote
I packed it all over the mountains up here when I was younger(as old as 50 before the wreck) as a 11.5 pound rifle with scope and full magwell..never a issue, including a few sheep hunts in the mountains behind my camp..My son and a couple friends all pack their Remington 700 long range's in 300rum when they go hunting, even when hiking day after day....In todays world it is very very easy to tame the recoil on the hardest hitting cartridges in the lightest weight rifles...all it takes is a bit of thought....Like I said, he already was considering a 300wm, the rum is the exact same weight, the recoil is easily tamed, even without a brake but the cartridge is a much better choice on moose at 500 plus..will the 300wm work, sure will, probably work great, but on the off chance the animal moves at all while the bullets in the air, the extra velocity and energy of the rum may pay off...
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I packed it all over the mountains up here when I was younger(as old as 50 before the wreck) as a 11.5 pound rifle with scope and full magwell..never a issue, including a few sheep hunts in the mountains behind my camp..My son and a couple friends all pack their Remington 700 long range's in 300rum when they go hunting, even when hiking day after day....In todays world it is very very easy to tame the recoil on the hardest hitting cartridges in the lightest weight rifles...all it takes is a bit of thought....Like I said, he already was considering a 300wm, the rum is the exact same weight, the recoil is easily tamed, even without a brake but the cartridge is a much better choice on moose at 500 plus..will the 300wm work, sure will, probably work great, but on the off chance the animal moves at all while the bullets in the air, the extra velocity and energy of the rum may pay off...
View Quote
My question would be why? I mean packing a 300 rum (remington 700s in 2020 yuck) to shoot sheep is craziness. I feel some people use caliber as a crutch.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

My question would be why? I mean packing a 300 rum (remington 700s in 2020 yuck) to shoot sheep is craziness. I feel some people use caliber as a crutch.
View Quote
LOL, well it wasn't your choice was it....Ah so now its a crutch.....lol....
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

LOL, well it wasn't your choice was it....Ah so now its a crutch.....lol....
View Quote
Then explain why one would pick a 300 rum over a 300wm to shoot a sheep? The terminal ballistic aren't the reason. One will kill a sheep as dead as the other. So is it a crutch for getting the bullet where it needs to be?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Then explain why one would pick a 300 rum over a 300wm to shoot a sheep? The terminal ballistic aren't the reason. One will kill a sheep as dead as the other. So is it a crutch for getting the bullet where it needs to be?
View Quote
Because I could...pretty simple isn't it..
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I packed it all over the mountains up here when I was younger (as old as 50 before the wreck) as a 11.5 pound rifle with scope and full magwell, never a issue, including a few sheep hunts in the mountains behind my camp.
View Quote

Dude, I've got an M1 Garand that weighs less than 11.5lbs, and it'll kill any big AK critter every day, all day.

My Granddad's iron-sighted custom 30-40 Krag rifle, with 23" barrel, weighs right the fuck in @ 6.8lbs   - that's slung and fully loaded, 5+1, with Hornady 220gn RN bullets @ 2000fps. That very Krag load right there killed all manner of AK bears and moose in Alaska way, way back in the day, even before 'sporterized' Springfield 1903s started showing up in numbers in your state.

You magnumitis knuckleheads need to read up ... let Elmer Keith school ya.

Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:52:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Dude, I've got an M1 Garand that weighs less than 11.5lbs, and it'll kill any big AK critter every day, all day.

My Granddad's iron-sighted custom 30-40 Krag rifle, with 23" barrel, weighs right the fuck in @ 6.8lbs   - that's slung and fully loaded, 5+1, with Hornady 220gn RN bullets @ 2000fps. That very Krag load right there killed all manner of AK bears and moose in Alaska way, way back in the day, even before 'sporterized' Springfield 1903s started showing up in numbers in your state.

You magnumitis knuckleheads need to read up ... let Elmer Keith school ya.

View Quote
Great, your grandpa had a rifle...When it comes time for your grandpa to pick what I shoot, I look forward to what he has to say...until then, I will make my own choice on what cartridge I use..thank you very much..I am curious,  what did the magnum do to you boys..scope bite? missed the trophy of your life? A bruise maybe?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because he shoots that rifle a lot and it’s what he’s used to. The rifle you’re best with is the best choice. Caliber doesn’t matter.

All I used is 308. There are better options but it’s what I have and know and I’m accurate. I’d love a 300 Rum for the 600 FPS gain if I were to use the same 178gr bullet.

Magnums have an advantage. But no matter what caliber you choose it comes down to practice and knowing your rifle, scope, and load.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top