Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2022 8:37:58 PM EDT
This is #4 poached on our farm for the year. This was a long way off the road and in the woods. The whole carcass was with it. Someone put some work in to drag it to the woods from the field. It’s not even a big one. No wonder I don’t find many sheds .

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks..trail cams??
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Cell cams will be ordered. Unfortunately it’s a 40 acres parcel and it’s wide open except for the edges and the terrain rolls. Will take a bit of analysis to get them where we think will be best.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The least they could do is take the skull plate-taking the antlers at the base like that is an insult to the deer.

Maybe next time they'll have a bore obstruction.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate poachers and trespassers more than just a little.  In fact it's probably an unhealthy amount of hate.  Hope you catch them OP.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
That skull is more than a year old. That skull is probably 2-3 seasons easily.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Are they doing this just for the antlers?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:13:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Everybodygotone] [#8]
Not an issue for me, but I set up some cameras anyway. No cell service here and satellite subscriptions are expensive, so I have several regular game cams around the property and 1 on the county road to catch vehicles/plates. wifi cameras on the house and garage. Got some other security measures, but this ain't the place for those discussions.

Got a couple retired neighbors that like to jump in their jeeps and follow any vehicles they don't recognize. It's intimidating and not very nice, but there's no public land around here so outsiders really have no business nosing around.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:21:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Everybodygotone] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TradWoodsman:
That skull is more than a year old. That skull is probably 2-3 seasons easily.
View Quote

Things may decompose different where you live.

Takes less than a year for a skull or bones to be completely bleached, chalky, and crumbling in my neck of the woods.

Lion killed this one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:27:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TradWoodsman] [#10]
Originally Posted By Everybodygotone:

Things may decompose different where you live.

Takes less than a year for a skull or bones to be completely bleached, chalky, and crumbling in my neck of the woods.

Lion killed this one.
https://i.ibb.co/DK6pZWB/boneyard2.jpg
View Quote

I think OP is in Wisconsin? We don't have the baking sunbleach here. Most critters expire in swampy, shady places. One season here would still have most of it's hair. I have a skull in my truck I picked up last week...a spike buck. Still covered in fur, probably killed last October'ish.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep, the sun can be brutal here.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
When you say carcass, they didn't take any meat?
View Quote

Found ribs, hips and leg bones all in a line.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TradWoodsman:

I think OP is in Wisconsin? We don't have the baking sunbleach here. Most critters expire in swampy, shady places. One season here would still have most of it's hair. I have a skull in my truck I picked up last week...a spike buck. Still covered in fur, probably killed last October'ish.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/281590/CFEFC7E1-EA99-4184-A0DA-78FE6ABA0916_jpe-2346828.JPG
View Quote

I’ve left a skull outside my back door from rifle season and by April it’s been clean from mice and bugs. No need to boil it that year LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top