Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2020 7:30:42 AM EDT
I don’t think I’ve ever heard a deer, unless they were blowing me out.

One squirrel on the other hand sounds like a linebacker tackling trees in the bush.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Because one can climb trees.  Safety is literally a few feet away.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Last deer season.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Does are like ninjas.

I always keep an old broadhead with me for asshole squirrels.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Squirrels have little man syndrome and do what they want.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does are like ninjas.

I always keep an old broadhead with me for asshole squirrels.
View Quote
A deer season ago, one of my friends who deer hunts pretty much all seasons (Bow, Black Power, Rifle, Cross bow, etc.. etc..) was out in a stand and a squirrel a few trees away and kept barking at him and making a big ruckus. He finally put an arrow in him to shut him up.  
Cost him a good arrow, so now like you said, he keeps a few old arrows just for that reason.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the stand right now wondering the same thing!
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Deer are loud as hell in the woods around here.

They have no choice the ground is absolutely covered in leaves.

Squirrels are actually quieter or at least more sporadic.

But yeah fuck squirrels when you are trying to deer hunt.

Supressed .22 for the win!

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I listen to the squirrels. Like just now they just stopped moving so they hear something coming that I dont

ETA: I just realized I have not been in the spot in 4 years. I dont know if my outbound tacks are still there. I hope so or it will be a challenge to get back to my truck

ETA2: the tacks were not there. Some asshole took all my tacks out of all the trees. I was lost for an hour.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I always thought squirrels making noise and ignoring me was a good thing.  

Assumed deer know squirrels and their behaivor and if squirrels are acting naturally then deer would be comfortable?

Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Squirrels have little man syndrome and do what they want.

A deer season ago, one of my friends who deer hunts pretty much all seasons (Bow, Black Power, Rifle, Cross bow, etc.. etc..) was out in a stand and a squirrel a few trees away and kept barking at him and making a big ruckus. He finally put an arrow in him to shut him up.  
Cost him a good arrow, so now like you said, he keeps a few old arrows just for that reason.
View Quote

I have always been told it is illegal to carry a field point while deer hunting. Which, is why I keep an old broadhead/arrow. I don’t know if it is true but I do my best to avoid the fish cops.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Haha been there done that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Every noise is a deer until I confirm otherwise. I have been burned too many times.

I was hunting in an oak thicket one day, it had rained and frozen. The leaves were crispy loud. I just about wore myslef out looking for deer every time a squirrel scampered. The one time I ignored it, a nice buck burned me.

So now it's a game. Every noise is a deer until I see the critter itself. It helps me stay on edge.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don’t think I’ve ever heard a deer, unless they were blowing me out.

One squirrel on the other hand sounds like a linebacker tackling trees in the bush.
View Quote

I think its a law of nature. The deer knows he's the prize, everything wants to take a bite out of him. Hence the big ears and ninja quiet, yet stupid.

Now the little noisy squirrel knows he's only a couple mouths full. He can cork screw around around all the trees in a flash and knows he's hard to kill. So he gets to be as obnoxious as he wants and most of the time lives to tell the tale.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I can usually tell if it's a squirrel or chipmunk almost immediately.  For starters, it's that splashy noise.  Deer sounds like a person trying to be quiet.

I used to curse them, but now I kind of enjoy having them around.  Still Not a huge fan of red squirrels tho.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#14]
If it sounds as big as a deer, it's a squirrel.

If it sounds like a squirrel, it's a turkey.

If you doze off and are awoken to something sniffing your boots, it's a deer.

Or that's my experiences.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#15]
All the animals work together.

It's a conspiracy.

It's what separates us.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Because one makes good fajitas
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:14:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I think a better question is why is it when I go deer hunting, I see more squirrels, yet when I go out squirrel hunting, I see more deer... And while were on the topic of shit that dose not make sense while hunting, why does my rifle barrel or back pack snag on every damn twig and branch possible, yet a buck with huge rack can slip through the  thickest shit you can imagine with out a single snag?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#18]
because deer can't run up trees
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
All the animals work together.

It's a conspiracy.

It's what separates us.
View Quote

well they really do.

I can't tell you how many time a flock of crows circled me and made a shit load of noise letting all the deer know where i was.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Squirrels are noisy but they have nothing on turkeys and armadillos.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I can't tell you how many time a flock of crows circled me and made a shit load of noise letting all the deer know where i was.
View Quote

I've had Bluejays sit in the trees around me, and keep making all kinds of noise. That would get the attention of anything nearby.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#22]
The squirrels got real quiet in my AO about 3 years ago. The same year a bobcat started frequenting the area.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If it sounds as big as a deer, it's a squirrel.

If it sounds like a squirrel, it's a turkey.

If you doze off and are awoken to something sniffing your boots, it's a deer.

Or that's my experiences.  
View Quote

LMAO so true
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#24]

This right here. Asshole one morning got up in a tree 10 yards away and barked at me for 30 minutes. Me and my son made him and a few of his relatives into squirrel and dumplings a few days later.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This right here. Asshole one morning got up in a tree 10 yards away and barked at me for 30 minutes. Me and my son made him and a few of his relatives into squirrel and dumplings a few days later.
View Quote

Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#27]
During bow, the wife comes out with me so she can sit with a suppressed 22.

Because of the double-threat, we never see anything.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#28]
One season I got so sick of seeing squirrels and no deer I started bringing my Browning Buckmark up in the treestand with my bow.  Best squirrel season ever.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
One season I got so sick of seeing squirrels and no deer I started bringing my Browning Buckmark up in the treestand with my bow.  Best squirrel season ever.  
View Quote

State? Can’t have more than one hunting implement during deer or turkey season here.

For small game and waterfowl you can have multiple weapons on you.

Now, as of last year you can hunt small game during deer-gun (historically closed), provided you use only #4 shot or smaller. Which you can’t be in possession of any shot if deer hunting.

I think it’s utter BS I can’t just have a 22 while bow hunting. I’m pretty dumb at times, but if a deer is within range, I’m not using a 22 on it when I have broadheads, ffs. If I was hungry enough to be hunting deer with a 22, I wouldn’t even be making an attempt to follow any other game laws.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Dirty tree rats, nature's reactive target
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#32]
I've shot squirrels while deer hunting.  Try for head shots.  Bagged them with .308 from FAL, .41 Mag from Marlin 1894S and 7.62x39 SKS.

CD
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Lol deer make a lot of noise…. They grunt, snort, stomp.

Rattle up a buck in thick brush, you’ll hear them coming.

I was pretty much grown before I ever hunted deer where there are squirrels… they’re annoying little things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top