Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2020 6:34:42 PM EDT
This year, Lord willing, I'll draw a muzzleloader tag. Can you lend me some advice for my inaugural BP hunt?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#1]
obvious first thing..

shoot rifle until you are comfortable with loading etc..  Then develop a load (power gr) for the bullet you are going to use..  you DO NOT need to load 150 (or similar max load) for deer..

I shoot 90gr and that is where the accuracy was best without hurting a shoulder or causing flinching..

Practice reloading while being safe and in a hurry..

brian
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
That seems to be the general consensus is 90 gr is plenty
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Not familiar with ND's MZ laws, but if you're only allowed open sights or non-magnified scopes, try out different sight combos or red dots.  I started shooting a lot better from 100-125 yards with open sights when I went to a smaller diameter front fiber optic sight on my CVA.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I plan to use the iron sights on my TC Hawken. This weekend I'll be out to the range to get them set up at 25 yds
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Know your comfortable shooting range.  75 yards with open irons is pretty decent.  Practice, practice and be patient in the field.

If you consistently and comfortably shoot 75 yards, pass on the deer that does not get closer than 100 yards.  Nothing worse than tracking a bad shot for hours and miles.  Patience will pay off.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep your powder dry. Practice reloading under stress, as if reloading after a shot on game.  But do it safely. I load 100grs, but that's my rifle. Every one is different. As long as you can keep it in the size of a dinner plate, good enough. You aren't target shooting. Once you open up bigger than that, that's your limit. Good luck btw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top