Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2013 7:56:50 PM EDT
A buddy and I were talking yesterday and this topic came up.  he installed solar power last year for the basics and I'm thinking about how I want to do mine this year.  I'm not sure exactly what I want to do, so I thought I'd like to hear how extensive you went with it.  Pics would be awesome too.    On my primary blind, which is a 4x4 box blind 12ft off the ground, I'm going to at least put in a light switch going to a red light, a plug so I can charge my phone, and possibly a small car fan.  I use a heater buddy and I'm thinking about running it to an externally mounted 20lb propane tank, but other than that, it's pretty basic.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like the fan idea.  I may look into that.  I really haven't thought of tapping into the solar power idea until this year.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Me either a fan would be nice when your waiting early bow season.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 6 solar panels on the roof of the tree house I made for my boys. ( 2 sets of cheapie Harbor Freight panels)

The panels are connected to a charge controller and then to a 12 volt yellow top optima car battery.

Everything in the tree house is powered by the 12 volt battery.

I made light strips by camo painting pvc pipe, and sticking 12 volt self adhesive LED strips to the pipe, and then covering the pipe with clear heat shrink tubing.

There are a variety of 12volt accessories in the tree house (fans, air mattress pumps, security cameras, etc...) and most barely draw any current.

It does  have a remote controlled ATV winch that raises and lowers the stairs, and it draws a lot, but I tell them not to constantly raise and lower it, and it works out pretty well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Plan on following kmc123's path.

I want a scent elimination vent out the roof another 10'. That will be 34' off the ground to the top, hopefully sufficient. I also plan sleep out hunts for zero intrusion effect and I need to vent the heaters to fresh air. Was thinking about small cfm in-tube fans. The phone charger thing is smart too. The roof on both my 8x8' blinds is angled for southern exposure 10 degrees. Will I need to increase the panel angle?

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I took one of those cheap throw away coolers cut a hole on either side put some ice in it added 12v fan hooked to a 12v feeder battery with solar charger and it cooled

down the blind a little bit.  Also used a LED trailer light hooked to a 12v feeder battery for a makeshift hog light it stayed on for the 3 months I left it out.  Not quite the same

but I did use solar panels.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Plan on following kmc123's path.

I want a scent elimination vent out the roof another 10'. That will be 34' off the ground to the top, hopefully sufficient. I also plan sleep out hunts for zero intrusion effect and I need to vent the heaters to fresh air. Was thinking about small cfm in-tube fans. The phone charger thing is smart too. The roof on both my 8x8' blinds is angled for southern exposure 10 degrees. Will I need to increase the panel angle?
<a href="http://s44.photobucket.com/user/postban/media/family/Manton/2013-July-01/1372878220_zps3e5b758d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/family/Manton/2013-July-01/th_1372878220_zps3e5b758d.jpg</a>  
View Quote

Is sleeping in a stand legal up there?
I think it is a terrific idea, but down here that would be considered night hunting.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#7]
This is pretty much what I did.

12v battery with a 2 watt solar charger.
red lights----you can get different size marker lights at your local truck shop.
ceiling fan----I'm using a 3 inch muffin fan from a discarded computer.

I have left the fan run overnight and still not killed the battery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top