Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2011 7:33:35 AM EDT
An article on recovery statistics, shot placement, and caliber.  Probably not a lot of surprises for most of you, but some of the stats are interesting.

Based on the data collected in this study we feel that the best shot placement for deer is the broadside shot directed at the shoulder. Traveling an average of only 3 yards, deer shot in the shoulder traveled significantly less distance than deer shot in the heart, lungs, or abdomen. Also, with such a short distance of travel, deer shot squarely in the shoulder did not generally leave the hunter's sight. In this study, the broadside shoulder shot essentially gave results similar to what most hunters expect from a neck shot. Presumably the broadside shoulder shot works well because it strikes part of the heart and or lungs which itself is a mortal blow. However, a shot through the scapula damages the brachial plexus which is part of the central nervous system thereby rendering the animal immobile. It knocks the animal out and it never regains consciousness. Also, the shoulder is a very large target offering room for error; a high shot hits the spine, a low shot the heart and a shot to the rear hits the lungs.

Link to full study:
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/articlegad.html
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 7:50:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I've blown the shoulder up on 2 deer with a .270, both ran about 50-70 yards and dropped dead.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 2:25:17 AM EDT
[#2]
This is the best study out there on man, bullet performance on deer.  I am a guide here in SC and this data is part of a brief I give all my customers.  If you are a central SC hunter and want more info on hunting in Sumter county ping me a PM.  I am a volunteer on federal land and it is CHEAP, safe hunting with quality treestands over food plots.  

I like an exit wound, they bleed and yep, have of all deer run after being hit, so that blood is key to a quick recovery of those deer.  

Above all, shoot the rifle you shoot best.  Spend time practicing, dry fire and wet fire.  MAKE sure you weapon is properly sighted in.  You don't know how many people don't shoot to ensure the bullets go where they aim.  It amazes me.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Last year I shot a doe in the shoulder, blew it to pieces, yet she still ran a good 40 yards.  She was at a dead run when I shot her, however.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top