Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 5:53:02 PM EDT
I will be hunting deer for the first time this year and I'd like to know what you guys (and gals) wear for cold weather.

I've spent a lot of time out in cold weather by I've always been moving around, I've never had to sit still for any length of time. What types and brands of clothing do you wear to keep warm?

The hunts will be in central Illinois from late November to January. I'll be hunting from ground blinds and tree stands. Also, I have Under Armor cold gear pants and long sleeve shirt.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Layering is the key.  When you put your layers on depends how much of a walk in from where you park to your hunting spot.  You don't want to sweat or you're gonne freeze.  Wear your under armor, then a layer of light to medium weight wool, hunting clothes, then outer wear, (bibs and coat) good gloves too, and a hat and face mask.

What I do when I have to walk in with my climber on my back, I tie my outer sruff to the climber and pretty much go in in long johns and pants.  Once last year I got sweating before I got to my spot and had to strip down to skin to cool off and dry out.  Not the best thing to do in the woods at 0 dark thirty and 18 degrees.  Don't forget wool socks and good waterproof and insulated boots.  You don't want to be like the michalen man, but if you have it and don't need it, you can take off layers.  If you need it and don't have it you're fucked.

You'll need to vary your set up depending on weather and method of hunting, but this is for the cold stuff.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#3]
November in IL can be cold, especially sitting in a stand.  I layer up.  Most of my hunting clothing is cabela's brand.  Scent control long underwear, pants, sweatshirt.  Heavy insulated bibs insulated parka, and insulated boots.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies guys.

A lot of the insulated clothes I see have numbers associated with them. For example, 1500 thinsulate. Is there a table somewhere that has temperature range for the type and amount of insulation?

My google fu is weak and can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies guys.

A lot of the insulated clothes I see have numbers associated with them. For example, 1500 thinsulate. Is there a table somewhere that has temperature range for the type and amount of insulation?

My google fu is weak and can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.

Those numbers could mean different things for different people.  some of my hunting buddies wear tons of cloths and freeze while others wear only one layer and are warm so it really depends on the person... Me a normal cool day 30*~40* I wear t-shirt/boxer breifs... long underwear/long sleeve shirt... gortex waterproof pants with minimal lining, a wool button up shirt and a gortex shell/parka.  for myself I have found that one pair of regular cotton socks and a good pair of boots works best... If its below 30 I will wear heavy boots and throw in a pair of wool socks....  As you can see it really depends on the person... for what i listed I wear the same if its 0* or 50* out.  Though most of my hunting includes large amounts of walking and little sitting...
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I get cold feet easily.  I wear some heavy insulated boots, wool socks and use hand warmers (toe warmers!) in the toe-box of my boots.

I'm WAY more comfortable since I've started doing that!

K
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#7]
If I recall correctly the 1500 and 1800 and so on is grams per foot or something to that effect... It will say so on the package right after the number in real small print. I live in Texas so it isn't 18 everyday but it does get that cold. They are right when they say don't sweat. One more thing to think about... Eating! When you are sitting still and your body is trying to stay warm it is burning more calories then you usually do. So if you increase your calorie intake it will help keep you warm. Heat = Energy = Burning Calories.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I get cold feet easily.  I wear some heavy insulated boots, wool socks and use hand warmers (toe warmers!) in the toe-box of my boots.

I'm WAY more comfortable since I've started doing that!

K

I bought some heavier insulated boots for last December - this always seems to be where is bothers me first as well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top