Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2010 4:56:23 PM EDT
Has anyone used Federal Fusion ammo? I've always hunted with Remington cor-lokt, but was considering changing up this year, to maybe Fusion or Lever-Ev. What says the hive?
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Has anyone used Federal Fusion ammo? I've always hunted with Remington cor-lokt, but was considering changing up this year, to maybe Fusion or Lever-Ev. What says the hive?

I have not personally used them, but I was with a friend assisting him (Wounded Soldier) to get his first Buck.

Buck walked out, we both glassed him, determined was a decent buck, ranged him, and had him at 197 yards.

He sighted in, I hit the grunt tube, he pulled the trigger and the deer dropped. DRT.

When we opened him up, the inside looked like jelly. I was impressed.

He was shooting a 243. I have also been shooting a 243 for about the past 4 years.

I used to use Remington cor-lokts but about 7 years ago I switched to Winchester Ballistic SilverTips.

I will have to say that after seeing what the fusions did, I would consider using them if I didn't have a BUNCH of Winchester BST already from when I caught a sale.

I do not think you would be disappointed with them.

As with any gun, just have to try them to see how they perform.

I have two 30-06s, and one of them does better with the cor-lokts. why? Not sure, but that is what shoots best out of it.

It really doesn't get that much use anyway.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I am looking to try the Fusions in .223 62gr this year on some MO Whitetails.

Really would prefer a larger grain. As I said above, I like the SilverTips, but they only come in 55gr.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#3]
My friends that have used it swear by it.

Personally, I think it's the cheapest PREMIUM ammo you can buy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#4]
doubletap
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
shoot a 270wsm and have killed 4 deer with it  all using 150 fusions , not one has taken a step after the shot . the most impressive was a doe at 110yds running away, shot entered right ham did not exit DRT. not a step after shot.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#6]
used the 62gr .223 for doe this year always exited with about a quarter size hole, not bad for .223
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#7]
ive used it in 308. under 1 inch groups from a light hunting rifle. killed 4 deer with it. all excellent result. great ammo for the money.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#8]
shot a button buck with the fusion 62gr this past season. one round from my AR through the lungs and all ran about 25 yards and dropped. i'd use it again
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Fusion ammo for me is great medium sized game ammo.  It is accurate and stays together well.

I'd say it is a very good value in ammo.

- AG
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I have always had good experience with anything I shot that was Federal.  That being said, I have yet to use Fusion for a kill.  It's certainly accurate.
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome thats what i wanted to hear, does anyone know if the fusion is available as a component?
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Shot a couple boxes in 300 win mag, wasn't bad ammo, never shot any critters with it, but it grouped average enough.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#13]
The Fusion ammo uses premium bullets from Nosler, Barnes, and Sierra game kings.  So to answer your question they do sell the components.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Fusion ammo for me is great medium sized game ammo.  It is accurate and stays together well.

I'd say it is a very good value in ammo.

- AG

If you don't load your own, the Fusion is a great commercial load.

I use the Fusion when hunting with an AR.

Link Posted: 7/10/2010 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Awesome thats what i wanted to hear, does anyone know if the fusion is available as a component?
I emailed Federal and asked, they said no, but that was over a year ago.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, the Fusion bullets are available as components.  www.fusionammo.com

ETA:  Well the website says they are available, but I can't find them for sale anywhere so...disregard.

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I have used them in 30-30 shot two deer with them they worked great.

Also if Brock Lesnar endorses them on Tv then you know they have to be good.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes, the Fusion bullets are available as components.  www.fusionammo.com

ETA:  Well the website says they are available, but I can't find them for sale anywhere so...disregard.

Quick search: found this

All currently "out of stock," however.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I used to use Remington corelokt. When federal fusion in .270 130 grain first came out I bought a box to try out and after resighting my rifle,went hunting and have used them since.  The only complaint I had was I shot  a doe at at about 30 yards and the exit wound was the same size as the entry and it took a while for the doe to drop with a complete high shoulder shot.   Other than that I have taken many deer and hogs with the same round with excellent results. I don't know if it just works better at further distances than close up but thats all I use.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I used to use Remington corelokt. When federal fusion in .270 130 grain first came out I bought a box to try out and after resighting my rifle,went hunting and have used them since.  The only complaint I had was I shot  a doe at at about 30 yards and the exit wound was the same size as the entry and it took a while for the doe to drop with a complete high shoulder shot.   Other than that I have taken many deer and hogs with the same round with excellent results. I don't know if it just works better at further distances than close up but thats all I use.

Well, it's not going to expand more at farther distances.  In close, the bullet is travelling at a higher velocity, therefore will expand more.  I would guess that it just boils down to a "shit happens" scenario, and nothing was at fault.  Sometimes deer just run.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No need to change sir. Core-Lokt is already the deadliest mushroom in the woods

Really though, its fine. I might use it for a high speed caliber, like .223... But for the dirty thirty I normally carry, hell no... I don't think the 30-30 has enough speed to ever fragment/suffer from core-jacket seperation
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top