Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2009 10:50:20 AM EDT
Step 1:  Kill Bambi's delicious mother (this was a few weeks ago in Texas, courtesy of Hunting with Soldiers):

Step 2:  After aging/butchering/vacuum-packing and freezing, select half a backstrap and a tenderloin, and arrange them like so:

Step 3:  (profit?)  Pretty much speaks for itself:

Step 4:  Arrange bacon like so:

Step 5:  Place meat on bacon and season to preference:

Step 6:  Wrap bacon around backstrap to provide some fat for cooking (the one drawback of fat-free wild game):

The final steps will be covered later.  Suffice it to say, Hickory will be involved.

Final steps:

Step 7:  Get some hickory coals ready:

Step 8:  Cook the bacon-wrapped awesome.  Warning––if you choose to cook the same way I did, you'll need to babysit everything to avoid a potential grease fire.  The bacon WILL pretty much get charred this way, but that just means it did its job (and the meat will be phenomenally tender and juicy):

Step 9:  Put it on the table, and enjoy:

(serving suggestion)

The strap stayed reddish-pink in the center, call it medium to medium rare, and the tenderloin was medium well.  Wife isn't a fan of red in the center, so she was happy with the loin and I was happy with both.

It was divine––and there's leftovers.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Love the bacon wrapped back straps, makin my mouth water! mmmmmmm mmmmmm  good.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I did one like that a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't inject it with anything but I put it in a brine over night and then wrapped it in bacon and threw it on the grill.  It was outstanding!
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Final steps added.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Idea noted for tomorrow nights dinner.

Link Posted: 12/6/2009 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Took a roast to a buddy's house tonight and he braised it up.

Not sure what the exact recipe was, but I know it involved about 8 cloves of garlic, a 4-pound roast, half a liter of red wine, 2 medium white onions, thyme, salt, pepper, and olive oil.

GODDAMN was it delicious...
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#7]
That looks amazing!!!

10/10
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#8]
WIN
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I just ate lunch, and now I am starving again!
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks Good.
Cool
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Whats that a green bean casserole?
How did you make the gravy for the taters if you grilled the meat?

I automatically give 10's for anything you kill yourself, but you may lose points if it's jarred gravy or if you put canned onion straws on the beans.

Oh yea you know the rules - pic of the well done lovin wife eating bambi's mom.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Tried this tonight with the first meal off my first deer. Awesome.
Special thanks to Joel P. for introducing me to hunting this year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top