Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2023 12:28:40 PM EDT
Not sure where to post this. Is there a reliable weather alert radio out there that can stay turned on and silent until there is an emergency alert, then go silent again?
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I have several WR120 and they work great.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have several WR120 and they work great.
View Quote

I have two of that model  I bought at different garage sales for $1 each.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Ditto to the above posters. They work and are fairly bulletproof.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Had my Midland for about 30 years with no problems.
HINT: Put Lithium batteries in it. They're less likely to leak.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#6]
You want the Reecom 1630C. Another member here (I think Gamma) recommended it,
and it blows Midland units out of the water.

Nearly every alert is selectable, and it processes end of message signals (so it will go back to being silent) and a number of other whizzy things.

Being able to turn off BS alerts permanently is a huge upside.

Multiple SAME codes etc.

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Had a Midland WR300 that worked until the receiver front-end got fried.  Switched to a Sangean CL100 and made sure it was moved farther away from transmitting antennas.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nearly every alert is selectable, and it processes end of message signals (so it will go back to being silent) and a number of other whizzy things.

Multiple SAME codes etc.
View Quote

Yes it was me, and yes that's the one.

On top of all that, it runs like 200 hours on a set of 4 AA batteries for battery backup, so they won't be dead all the time.

The end-of-message detection is so nice. If you get an alert message, it plays the message, then shuts off. Virtually every other kind of alert radio plays the message, but just keeps playing for 2 to 5 minutes until a timer runs out. Also you can disable amber alerts and anything else that you don't want to be awakened at 4am for.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:16:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

On top of all that, it runs like 200 hours on a set of 4 AA batteries for battery backup, so they won't be dead all the time.

The end-of-message detection is so nice. If you get an alert message, it plays the message, then shuts off. Virtually every other kind of alert radio plays the message, but just keeps playing for 2 to 5 minutes until a timer runs out. Also you can disable amber alerts and anything else that you don't want to be awakened at 4am for.
View Quote

My only complaint about the Reecom so far is the LEDs that signify warning, watch etc are way too bright, so I put some dim-it film dots over them (and like a half dozen over the "warning" LED) to calm it down.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:24:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My only complaint about the Reecom so far is the LEDs that signify warning, watch etc are way too bright, so I put some dim-it film dots over them (and like a half dozen over the "warning" LED) to calm it down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I kinda like them, if I walk in the house and wasn't around to hear a warning, I notice that something is up so go check it. Easy enough to cover them up.

I also have watches disabled, so the light being on lets me know there's a watch if I don't already know, and can manually listen to it if I want.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:55:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a midland "alarm clock/radio/weather alert" for my clock/radio that wakes me up every morning. You have to enter your zip code into it, it uses that and automatically translates it to your location for the correct weather alerts. I don't remember if you can select which weather alerts you get, high wind, tornado, blizzard etc, but mine is programmed to alarm on all of them. Which can be a problem when the weather service puts out an alert at 2:00 AM and the alarm goes off, waking you up. Just remember that is why you got the damn thing in the first place as you struggle to turn off the alarm and try to read the warning scrolling across the LED screen; then try to get back asleep when it's not a tornado warning.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:02:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Midland seems to be popular..... Or you can purchase a programmable scanner radio and add some other things like Police/Fire etc.

Zfactor
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Multiple SAME codes etc.

View Quote

I have a Midland that ( as far as I know ) you can not select which alerts wake you up and which don't. I got tired very quickly of being woken up in he middle of he nigh because there was a small craft advisory.

haven't used it since.

I am currently working on my Home Assistant automation set up to filter wx alerts and wake me up for the important ones.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have a Midland that ( as far as I know ) you can not select which alerts wake you up and which don't. I got tired very quickly of being woken up in he middle of he nigh because there was a small craft advisory.

haven't used it since.

I am currently working on my Home Assistant automation set up to filter wx alerts and wake me up for the important ones.
View Quote

I took my WMR300 out of service for the exact same reason. Amber alert at 4AM almost 1000 miles away from me. Eff that.

I can attest the Reecom doesn't suffer from that if you take the time to deselect the problem alerts. I will say that doing that is a bit
of a pain but it's a one and done kind of thing. I have mine pretty much configured for tornadoes and nothing else, our local WX office
issues thunderstorm warnings at the drop of a hat, and it covers the whole county, which is bigger than New Jersey.

I took some delight in the fact that a couple weeks ago I was reviewing the logs on the Reecom (it stores past events and tags the date/time on them)
and there was a t-storm warning in there and I didn't hear a peep.

The Reecom really is the GOAT of weather radios, and thanks to Gamma for pointing it out, I doubt I'd have ever heard of them otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I have used the Midland WR400 for a couple of years and I like it. The complaints about the other Midlands seem to be addressed in this model. You can select Warning/Alarms/Alerts in many categories and turn each one on or off (location based on zip). It is one of the few alert radios that is loud enough to wake me in the middle of the night.

Link to the different emergency categories and the initial default settings which can be changed.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0531/2856/0817/files/SAME_List_of_Emergencies_Non-Weather_Emergencies.pdf?v=1636648846
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Holy shit, I forgot those were a thing. My father had something very much like that. You pressed that flap to turn it off and on from what I remember, had a dial on the bottom to adjust the frequency.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Our repeater group converted several of those to monitor our 2 Meter machine. Even added a jack so they'd run off of a wall wart.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#20]

They had ones that did WWV as well, I thought those were cool as shit when I was about 10.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#22]

I still have one, it works. No alert tho...

Have three weather alert radios in the house. I wish I still had the one I got in the late 1970s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top