Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/14/2021 6:38:53 PM EDT
Join the ARRL.  it’s got a decent monthly magazine with good info

setup your www.qrz.com page. put up some photos of stuff you’re interested in. mine has an old pic of me shooting my CMP M1 rifle, USPSA/IPSC, jeep, etc

it’s a good way to start a conversation

where else can you see @Piccolo with his 1970’s army pickle suit, an M14 rifle, bottle of scotch and a pizza

( pronounced “Q R Zed” )

find an active local club to join. get involved, go to ARRL FIELD DAY last weekend of June.  help out and learn from the old guys.

it’s a great way to see things in action, HF DX, CW (morse) satellite, solar, digital, etc.

once you upgrade to general and start working some DX, get setup with your QSL bureau. you send them a few $$$ and or envelopes and they send you QSL cards from countries you worked

get involved and see all the different directions you can explore in this goofy hobby

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
In before the haters say the ARRL is a waste of money.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

In before the haters say that getting a license and all the other stuff mentioned is submission to tyranny.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Its worth the membership price just fo the magazine alone.
View Quote

I've mentioned this before... I think that with membership they have all their old QSTs available online.

Some time back I went to a library to look up something on microfilm on an old issue of QST. Spent the whole afternoon going through the different issues... 60s and 70s issues have a ton of good info on homebuilding antennas and a bunch of other basic stuff. Maybe it's because I like goofing off with antennas but I found them very interesting.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Meh. I joined ARRL. I haven't seen anything I liked from them so far, they mostly cater to a different subgroup of ham.

My advice: don't let anyone tell you what ham radio "is" as if it's only that.
It's a lot of different things to a lot of different people.
There's contesters, homebrewers, satellites, moonbounce, morse code, DXing and DXpeditions, SOTA/POTA, emergency services, and so so so much more.
One value of ARRL is that it can expose you to many of those different subgroups, but so will getting out there and trying more things and talking to more hams and asking them what they like about the hobby.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Great post Derek45. Try to find a local club and join.
There is no easier way to learn this stuff than hanging out or talking to an Elmer.
Elmer is a ham term for old guy who knows ham radio and is willing to teach you.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Its worth the membership price just fo the magazine alone.
View Quote

Use the ARRL Magazines app and you get all the magazines.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#8]
The whole making contacts and logbook of the world and qrz and hambook (or whatever it is) and digital logbooks in general is definitely an aspect of amateur radio i never knew existed.  And it's one of those things that until someone shows you the ropes, you're probably not going to figure it.  It's not intuitive.

That said - after doing the math I purchased a lifetime membership of both ARRL and QRZ.  I'm not sure i'll ever get value out of it.  But i don't regret either.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]
its not Q R Zed. we aren't british.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

thanks for making my point.

have you never been on HF ?

C6ARW 2013 CQWW DX Phone 10 Meter Pile-Up 10-27-13 1305-1318z
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

And you've active in ham radio how long?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm guessing you have never been on HF SSB.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:45:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#15]
amazon HT and a tech license are just the tip of the iceberg

like a 25ACP purse gun

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
He is pulling your chain guys.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Post Inauguration ARFCOM ham sending "Secret Squirrel" messages to imaginary sleeper cells.

Seriously new hams...lighten up a bit and relax.

Ham radio is a great hobby and wonderful escape from all of the the noise of current events. Read, experiment, ask questions here, and learn. It's the original social networking and if you put less focus on the TEOTWAWKI nonsense it just might fun.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ham radio is a great hobby and wonderful escape from all of the the noise of current events.
View Quote

I think they all expect to be in the middle of the noise of current events.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, it’s the ham radio equivalent of the NRA. If you want a magazine subscription it’s OK, but pretty useless other than that.
The ARRL fought tooth & nail to keep Morse code as a requirement, then when it was dropped acted like they were responsible for it happening. They are in the business of perpetuating their existence, nothing more.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think they all expect to be in the middle of the noise of current events.
View Quote

Negative Waves Scenes from Kelly's Heroes Movie
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Well, it’s the ham radio equivalent of the NRA. If you want a magazine subscription it’s OK, but pretty useless other than that.
The ARRL fought tooth & nail to keep Morse code as a requirement, then when it was dropped acted like they were responsible for it happening. They are in the business of perpetuating their existence, nothing more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I call it or what?  Nostradamus hasn't got anything on me.  

Next thing you know, guys will be saying NVIS isn't possible on the amateur bands.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Next thing you know, guys will be saying NVIS isn't possible on the amateur bands.  
View Quote

It's not that it isn't possible, it just isn't a 24/7 telephone connection as people seem to think.

And, it's amateur HF. It's not channelized, we don't have selcall or ALE or trunking. People have to know what they're doing, it's not plug and play.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:13:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I've said that to folks on the air, ham radio is the original social media.  

Well, technically the campfire is the more original....

But yeah.  The EMCOMM aspect is certainly there, and useful, but just getting in the air for the enjoyment of it is awesome.  So folks should definitely focus more on that.  They'll enjoy it more.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've mentioned this before... I think that with membership they have all their old QSTs available online.
View Quote

The Archives, going all the way back to 1915 shortly after the ARRL was founded by Hiram Percy Maxim. Yeah, that Hiram Percy Maxim.
They have a fairly good search engine, so you can find articles on just about any subject.
I use them a lot since I'm into vintage equipment.

If you're working much DX, their QSL Bureau (the "buro") can save you a lot of money.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Be willing to learn, take advice, and don't be an asshole.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Be willing to learn, take advice, and don't be an asshole.

View Quote

aw well, I’m screwed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#28]
If you're going to start HF, join Log of the World. It's free but a slight pain in the ass. Back up your certificate on it to somewhere safe, I've needed mine about three times now. I'm not typing out what it does, read about it.

http://www.arrl.org/logbook-of-the-world

You don't have to be an ARRL member to use it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
aw well, I'm screwed.
View Quote
Hey!

Some win and some lose, but it's fun no matter which.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Where did “Zed” come from? Having a Z in my callsign I’ve always found it annoying as hell. Zulu is the phonetic for Z. The cutesy phonetics some actually get a vanity callsign to use on the air are the worst.
There was a guy years ago with LAS as his suffix & would call CQDX “Love American Style” in a heavy southern accent. The DX stations had no idea what he was talking about, but it was at least amusing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Where did “Zed” come from?
View Quote

Brits say "zed" instead of "zee".
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Advice for new hams: don’t be shy and get on the air and talk.  Get on HF and talk.  Too many have the radio on,  complain the bands aren’t open but never talk to realize the band is still open despite no sun spots.
Don’t like the old establishment?  I get it, so let’s use the airwaves
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Advice for new hams: don't be shy and get on the air and talk.  Get on HF and talk.  Too many have the radio on,  complain the bands aren't open but never talk to realize the band is still open despite no sun spots.
Don't like the old establishment?  I get it, so let's use the airwaves
View Quote
I'm new. But this.

Doing POTA activities and even playing trivia on 3916 is a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm new. But this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Advice for new hams: don't be shy and get on the air and talk.  Get on HF and talk.  Too many have the radio on,  complain the bands aren't open but never talk to realize the band is still open despite no sun spots.
Don't like the old establishment?  I get it, so let's use the airwaves
I'm new. But this.

When I have the radio on it, my wife likes to listen to the trivia on 3916.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Keep the Zed for those darn furners! They don't want to learn our language.

First, FCC screw up the alphabet, then the cancel the code! What's next?  Maybe they'll let CB-ers talk on our frequencies?!   Without code (CW) it's CB! Darn CB-ers, ruining the hobby!
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where did “Zed” come from?

Hate to break it to you, but the whole world, with the exception of the USA (even the French!) use Zed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Speaking of callsigns, I believe I'll be able to get into a testing session next weekend and plan to take the Amateur Extra test, which would allow me a 4-digit callsign. I've read that you can choose any available one regardless of regional number, but would it be advisable to choose an out-of-region number? I'm in Region 9, but found an available one I like that is Region 1. I certainly don't want to confuse the locals when I finally get set up and transmitting.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Speaking of callsigns, I believe I'll be able to get into a testing session next weekend and plan to take the Amateur Extra test, which would allow me a 4-digit callsign. I've read that you can choose any available one regardless of regional number, but would it be advisable to choose an out-of-region number? I'm in Region 9, but found an available one I like that is Region 1. I certainly don't want to confuse the locals when I finally get set up and transmitting.
View Quote

so many people move and have vanity calls it doesnt matter

I have an out of area vanity call.

You still get some people that dont get that it really doesnt apply anymore
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

When I have the radio on it, my wife likes to listen to the trivia on 3916.
View Quote
It's a lot of fun to play.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've read that you can choose any available one regardless of regional number,
View Quote
That was a no-no back when.

If you moved to a different district you had to get a new (sequentially issued) call sign from that district.

There were no vanity calls then.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

so many people move and have vanity calls it doesnt matter

I have an out of area vanity call.

You still get some people that dont get that it really doesnt apply anymore
View Quote

I agree, people aren't as planted in one place as they were 30 years ago.

I have a vanity call with an out of region number too.  I would have gone with the same letters with my region number if it were available, but its held by an active ham in my region who I have QSO'd a few times.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#42]
The only reason I would go with an out-of-district number would be to get my first and last initials -- and that's not a really high priority. My district is 9, so "K9" already rolls off the tongue easily. It's just figuring out a decent 2-letter suffix...
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The only reason I would go with an out-of-district number would be to get my first and last initials -- and that's not a really high priority. My district is 9, so "K9" already rolls off the tongue easily. It's just figuring out a decent 2-letter suffix...
View Quote

1x2 callsigns are taken on the day they become available, you're not going to have a lot of options.

I know many pick out-of-area vanity callsigns, but it can lead to little annoyances both for you and people you talk to, it's just easier if you use the correct district.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

1x2 callsigns are taken on the day they become available, you're not going to have a lot of options.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless I'm doing something wrong (and that's very possible), RadioQTH shows 59 1×2's with a "K9" prefix available immediately, not counting "N" and "W" prefixes.

I've only had a callsign for 4 days now, so I'm pretty ignorant of this stuff.

EDIT: Apparently I'm a moron -- the website isn't updated, even though it says updated "January 30, 2021", because I find them unavailable when I enter them into the FCC database.

So just how hard is it going to be to get one if I don't care what is as long as it's a 1X2?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Lookp on AE7Q, it updates quickly. 2x1 and 1x2 are snapped up immediately. Your best bet it to look thru the list of ones about to be available (not expiration date) and submit an application the same day. Everyone on the same day gets the same chance, you'll seem them with dozens and dozens of applications filed. I actually like the idea of a filing fee so guys stop chasing them so rabidly.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

In before the haters say that getting a license and all the other stuff mentioned is submission to tyranny.
View Quote

Getting a license and all the other stuff mentioned is submission to tyranny.

(Test schedule Feb08.)
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

(Test schedule Feb08.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Test schedule Feb08.)

This.
(Test scheduled for Feb 6th)
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote
Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Good luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Good luck.

Thanks, I've been laid up from surgery for weeks so I've been studying for Tech and General. I've done about 40 practice exams for Tech and passed them all in the high 80s to 90s. Tomorrow I'll start practicing for General.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thanks, I've been laid up from surgery for weeks so I've been studying for Tech and General. I've done about 40 practice exams for Tech and passed them all in the high 80s to 90s. Tomorrow I'll start practicing for General.
View Quote
Same here, starting General today.

Good luck, we'll be the 13'ers of the ham world.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top