Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2020 6:38:24 PM EDT
I thought you guys might like to see a project I've been working on for multiple months. It is an Icom IC-7200 HF radio with MFJ antenna tuner, 30 amp hour Bioenno LiFePo4 battery, and power management/controls. It's a self-supporting/complete setup, so it can run for hours while camping and recharge in the field with solar panel or AC input. I have a portable 80 watt solar panel for charging it. The Chameleon Emcomm III Portable antenna, 50ft of coax cable, chokes, and hand mic all fit in the ammo can when it's not in use, so it is reasonably waterproof and damage-resistant. I repurposed an old 20mm ammo can I had for the container. I used Tinkerbox (a simple, free 3D design program online) for designing the contents of the box, then used a freeware front panel designer to layout the control panel and print a template for cutting/drilling in the kydex front panel. It's about 18 inches wide, 8 inches tall, 15 inches deep, about 45 pounds with everything in it. Everything can slide out as a unit from the ammo can for repair or changes. Certainly not a manpack unit, but good for the occasional POTA or camping trip. This is my main HF radio, so it will be used in the house/back yard as well.

Paint could be better, but I like the look and it is protected from the elements.

Figuring out the wiring and fitting it together was the biggest challenge and most time consuming. Many terminal connectors gave their lives for this effort.

It was a TIGHT fit, but all the plannning, measuring, and laying it out paid off.

In true Arfcom fashion...

The control panel has:
Top row, left to right: a 25 amp thermal fuse, USB-B port for data connection under the fuse, main switch in the middle, DC power meter display
Bottom row, left to right: UHF antenna connection, Anderson Powerpole for charging (direct to battery), dual Anderson Powerpole outlet for accessories (fused), and a dual USB outlet for a LED light/charging a phone, etc.

And set up to operate for a function test! It didn't catch fire! That's a win in my book! No, I didn't transmit at that frequency.

I'm most pleased that I can use the radio again and this will simplify the setup/takedown process. With all the drama going on in the world, this was a nice project/accomplishment to improve my mood. Hope you enjoyed it. Many thanks to those that have helped answer my questions here in the past.

Lee

**Edited to the correct ammo can; it's a 20mm not a 30mm
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#1]
nice job....

ps, you made the list
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]
@SCWolverine

Thanks, just wanted to share. I appreciate the add to the list; I've browsed it many times for ideas. Never thought I'd be in there someday.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice job!
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Very well done sir.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Excellent! And look at all the room you have left! I'm sure you'll find "something" you can't live without to fill it up!
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice!

Link Posted: 6/10/2020 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice. Here is mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice job!
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice set up design on the control box!
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#10]
where would one get that type of box?
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
where would one get that type of box?
View Quote

The one he used is a 40mm ammo can. They come in a few flavors tall and short.

Mine is a 4U server case. That was bought off of eBay for $90 or so. You can find them used for much cheaper if your lucky. I gave up looking after a few weeks.Link

Also there are the below which is called a hardigg case I think. They are little long but check the box on heavy duty military look.

Attachment Attached File

Link to buy

Also same seller who has 40mm cases for sale $15.00 plus shipping.Link to 40
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice job on all the boxes. At a ham fest one time I saw an MFJ Cub mounted in a wooden box that was probably a foot high by 3 feet wide by 18 in deep. All that space and weight for a single band QRP radio. Note:  I have an MFJ Cub on 40 M with a few mods but I don't pack it around in a wooden box.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I double checked the interior dimensions, it is a 20mm ammo can like can be found here:

Lexington Container Co

They also have 30mm cans, which are the same height/depth but an inch taller. The 40mm cans are a little shorter/more squat, not sure where to get those. I'll edit my OP for the correct ammo can. I got the can when I was in the military, so I didn't recall which one it was until I compared measurements.

Those plastic black large ammo cans are for linked 25mm rounds.
Google image showing DODIC for 25mm plastic ammo box
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Very nice, good job
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#15]
COOL!!!!!!

I guess you can put your key and paddle just above the radio where all those wires are just before closing the lid, since you want to wrap them carefully and are saving the best for last!

Field Day is 2 weeks from tomorrow!!! see you on 40!

Poole
.- .- ....- --.-
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Install a Raspberry Pi 4 and touchscreen on the inside of the lid, and you can lose the laptop.

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Install a Raspberry Pi 4 and touchscreen on the inside of the lid, and you can lose the laptop.

View Quote

I'm still dipping my toe into digital modes... but that suggestion is intriguing. I'll have to look into it. I didn't realize the Pi and touchscreen combo could replace a keyboard.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or you know, just buy a smaller laptop that fits in your back pocket....

Link Posted: 6/14/2020 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#19]
@Harlikwin

How well does that work with FLdigi/wsjt-x? Do you need weird adapters or cable setups to make it work? I like to keep my stuff clutter free. Does it have a touchpad/nub mouse? If I can pick one up for a good deal that would be slick. I could use it as a backup to program HTs in the field too. Thanks for the idea.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@Harlikwin

How well does that work with FLdigi/wsjt-x? Do you need weird adapters or cable setups to make it work? I like to keep my stuff clutter free. Does it have a touchpad/nub mouse? If I can pick one up for a good deal that would be slick. I could use it as a backup to program HTs in the field too. Thanks for the idea.
View Quote

Works great, I use FL-digi/HRD/Wsjt-modes along with winlink/pactor, and SDR software on mine it will pretty much run any HAM software you can think of, plus chirp etc. You do still need something like a signal link or other USB interface though, I even run my 5W SDR off mine.

So there are two versions and you can find these used, though with plenty of caveats.

Version 1. Atom processors/better battery life, 1 or 2 memory configs. Port wise basically, it had 1 USB-A, 1 USB-C (for charging and other stuff), 1 HDMI out. This version had 1 blue mouse nub at the bottom of the keyboard (split space bar) this works fine if you have it on a desk.

Version 2. Wide variety of configs including i3 procs, and widely varying  memory configs. More proc=less battery life. Port wise, 2x USB-A, 1x USB-C. This version has a mouse sensor (thumb trackpad) at the upper right corner of the keyboard which work MUCH better for holding it in your hands and using it. Neither one is that great at "thumb-typing" but its doable.

In both cases I highly recommend a Bluetooth mouse of some sort (not the wifi mouse that eats up a USB port, a real Bluetooth mouse) I use Microsoft ones with mine and they are great. Keyboard is actually pretty decent for desk typing. But the other thing I do recommend is some sort of USB port expander as you run out of ports real fast.

The only other bad thing is that the fans are a bit loud depending on the version and are a bitch to get configured right, with each version having slightly different issues/firmare problems. The version 2 does have a "fan-off" button, based on complaints from V1. Also, not a huge deal, but the storage is non expandable and you only get 128 gigs, which isn't typically an issue but something to think about.

Caveats of buying used
A lot of guys run Linux on these as well and they were offered with Linux standard as well as win 10 so make sure you know what you get software wise
V1's could run hot and have reduced/throttled performance, a lot of tinkerers re-pasted the heatsinks and got better performance, plus the fan didn't run as much.
There are a wide variety of charging gremlins, but bottom line is never let the battery run down to zero, its a huge bitch to unfuck that. And obviously if buying used make sure it works/charges. Though the battery isn't hard to replace on the V1 at least.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top